What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 6:52pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 6:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:21pm

Put the lid down prior to switching the needle arm on. Never put the lid down during playback would be my only advice.
Why put the lid down first? Surely the needle will still pick up the vibrations etc
That would be dependent upon the weight of the lid and make etc of the system.
I wouldn’t have thought that would make a difference as it was the noise from the needle vibrating around the inside of the lid and getting picked up by itself??
I can only think that the vibrations from the needle bouncing back from a lid that also vibrates creating unwanted noise. Surely this is not a new problem and the makers of expensive stereos etc would have worked this out. I know a lot of lids have cut-outs on the sides. I've owned numerous stereos down the years and never once encountered this problem.
My ears would never pick it up anyway 😂
A friend of mine had a stereo back in the day and the motor had gone on the turntable so you had to manually spin it with everyone shouting too fast, too slow.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:04pm
Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 4:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:51pm
School of Seven Bells, Alpinisms - Alternative Versions. Curiosities and nothing more, but worthwhile because Alpinisms is a superb album.
I checked these folks out and liked them for a bit and then lost interest. I should try again.
The first album was the only one that really grabbed me. After that, bits and pieces only. But they do sound like something that would appeal to you.
WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN
What does it need to mean? :ugeek:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:23pm
hairydot61 wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 1:11pm
Image[
url=https://

I listened to this earlier, managed to embed an image too :idea:
every day is a school day ;)
skills need to be tweaked but its a start
Great album always wished it would get a cd release.
If I can get a decent enough rip then I think we could do that ;) when I get a bit of time I'll have a go at it, the first disc has had more plays than the second disc and has more wear, will let you know.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:51pm
School of Seven Bells, Alpinisms - Alternative Versions. Curiosities and nothing more, but worthwhile because Alpinisms is a superb album.
If I were out foraging and came across it in my charity boutiques I would take a chance on it, on the cover alone, also I find 4G on yer phone can muster some reasonable info to take a chance, I like that you can do that :approve:
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 5:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:23pm
hairydot61 wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 1:11pm
Image[
url=https://

I listened to this earlier, managed to embed an image too :idea:
every day is a school day ;)
skills need to be tweaked but its a start
Great album always wished it would get a cd release.
If I can get a decent enough rip then I think we could do that ;) when I get a bit of time I'll have a go at it, the first disc has had more plays than the second disc and has more wear, will let you know.
Nice one bud. :approve:

...wait I just checked and it's available on YouTube so save your time mate I'll grab it from there. Many thanks for the offer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jello Biafra - Die For Oil, Sucker (1991)

I'd forgotten how good peak-era Jello spoken word is. Pulled out this 7 inch and it holds the fuck up. The vitriolic propaganda hasn't aged one day imho. I think his later stuff doesn't hold up to repeat listenings as well, but these early 90s bits are so timeless. This single in particular captures stuff that's closer to poetry or stand up than a lecture, too, which helps. Maybe his best spoken word release.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 2:26pm
Jello Biafra - Die For Oil, Sucker (1991)

I'd forgotten how good peak-era Jello spoken word is. Pulled out this 7 inch and it holds the fuck up. The vitriolic propaganda hasn't aged one day imho. I think his later stuff doesn't hold up to repeat listenings as well, but these early 90s bits are so timeless. This single in particular captures stuff that's closer to poetry or stand up than a lecture, too, which helps. Maybe his best spoken word release.
I agree with the bolded. Around the time of the lawsuit (tho not necessarily because of it), he started sounding a lot more paranoid and eager to promote goofy ideas and conspiracies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 3:21pm
I agree with the bolded. Around the time of the lawsuit (tho not necessarily because of it), he started sounding a lot more paranoid and eager to promote goofy ideas and conspiracies.
Yeah, he went in the direction of a lot of Boulder-libs, sort of goofily anti-science and a touch paranoid. If he was conservative, he'd be an Alex Joneser. It's not terrible, but between that and an increase focus on the tactical side of politics (I listened to his green wedge 7 inch next and it was super dated), he doesn't have as much staying power. It's telling he hasn't released a spoken word album in a bunch of years, imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That dang OMD thread has had me poking in and out of their catalogue, but tonight I'll spin the whole disc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This Mortal Coil, Dust & Guitars, the fourth disc of mixes and non-album songs from the box set. It really doesn't get much 4AD-ier.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The Best of Lefty Frizzell.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Ejoying the new Macca album today.
Attachments
Paul McCartney - Egypt Station.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:07am
The few songs I've heard on the radio have been good but his voice has changed a lot in the last few years. He is 75 I suppose.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm digging on it also, solid album

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:07am
The few songs I've heard on the radio have been good but his voice has changed a lot in the last few years. He is 75 I suppose.
I shuffled it via Spotify. Decent listen. His aging voice is great for the new material but you notice the loss of presence when he sings Beatles live. He's spry and quick witted and just as lazy with his lyrics as he's ever been. His keeping at it puts a smile on my face.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/