What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by coffeepotman »

Never got into them, just weren't my thing

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:05pm
Listening to lots of Pixies because a friend needs me to play in his band for a Pixies tribute night as a favor. I never really got into them so this is a unique experience. Do people here like them?
I like them quite a bit, though when I’m not listening to them, I consistently forget they exist and then rediscover that I like them.

Since Nirvana owes a huge debt to them, I assume Heston thinks they’re a metal band.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 9:55am
Since Nirvana owes a huge debt to them, I assume Heston thinks they’re a metal band.
:lol:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I let my 8 year old son pull out a record while I made dinner tonight. He chose Ziggy Stardust - either by chance or because he liked the cover. Been a criminally long time since I listened to it, but damn - what a fine recording.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:14pm
I let my 8 year old son pull out a record while I made dinner tonight. He chose Ziggy Stardust - either by chance or because he liked the cover. Been a criminally long time since I listened to it, but damn - what a fine recording.
Thats a pretty cool thing to do.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:51pm
WestwayKid wrote:
My vinyl collection is pretty much all over the place so he could have just as easily pulled Boston’s “Third Stage” LP!

Before I had kids, I always thought about how I was going to teach them the “right” music to listen to - but once I had them and they started growing older I realized I have to let them explore on their own. They might grow up to like stuff that I don’t - and that is okay. I’m definitely glad to expose them to music I think is good - but I don’t want to ever tell them what they should or should not listen to. Really - I just hope they both pick up my love for music in general.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 11:00pm
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
My vinyl collection is pretty much all over the place so he could have just as easily pulled Boston’s “Third Stage” LP!

Before I had kids, I always thought about how I was going to teach them the “right” music to listen to - but once I had them and they started growing older I realized I have to let them explore on their own. They might grow up to like stuff that I don’t - and that is okay. I’m definitely glad to expose them to music I think is good - but I don’t want to ever tell them what they should or should not listen to. Really - I just hope they both pick up my love for music in general.
Yeah same here, I provided a foundation. My daughter hear a lot of Clash, Strummer, Pogues and Ramones. I have a very early memory of her at 2 or 3 singing the chorus of "Dirty Old Town" while in the bath tub. She's 21 now and I just spent 6 hours in the car with her choosing the music. I didnt care for most of it, a lot was current hip hop and r'n'b some soul numbers too which were my favorite. I can't take the auto tune vocals.

My son is much younger and can be all over the place. He like a a lot of what I play but is rather Hestonian when it come to hardcore, although hes coming round to Black Flag. But he could just as easily be listening to the Greas e soundtrack. It's good thst they develop their own tastes. I take a similar approach to politics. I trust them to come to their own conclusions as did my dad. Although he was a pretty conservative Republican.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I agree with this post.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 11:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yeah same here, I provided a foundation. My daughter hear a lot of Clash, Strummer, Pogues and Ramones. I have a very early memory of her at 2 or 3 singing the chorus of "Dirty Old Town" while in the bath tub. She's 21 now and I just spent 6 hours in the car with her choosing the music. I didnt care for most of it, a lot was current hip hop and r'n'b some soul numbers too which were my favorite. I can't take the auto tune vocals.

My son is much younger and can be all over the place. He like a a lot of what I play but is rather Hestonian when it come to hardcore, although hes coming round to Black Flag. But he could just as easily be listening to the Greas e soundtrack. It's good thst they develop their own tastes. I take a similar approach to politics. I trust them to come to their own conclusions as did my dad. Although he was a pretty conservative Republican.
I like the use of "Hestonian." Happy to be part of the anti-hardcore crew, your kid has taste.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 12:29am
revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 11:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I like the use of "Hestonian." Happy to be part of the anti-hardcore crew, your kid has taste.
Agree with all of the above.
Just play music in the house, any music. When they are old enough they will find their own music but the seed is sown.
Still cool when you are leaving steaming to Too Much Too Young and your kid walks past singinging along.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

David Bowie, 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars', 1972 (2003 Ken Scott re-mix).
Nothing really different about Scott's re-mix, a bit brighter on the highs, some things brought to the fore, no real revelations, but "Star" has Ronson's guitar stabs slightly down-mixed. What the hell? Oh well, we'll always have '72, kids...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You know what day it is today? Pixies Day, jerkoids. Today I listen to nothing but Pixies. If revbob says to me, "Hey, you should listen to this awesome Phish show I recorded." "Screw you," I'd reply, "It's Pixies Day." Flex goes on about some tasty Smash Mouth rarities collection, I'm gonna tell him, "No way, I'm listening Surfer Rosa."

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 11:05am
You know what day it is today? Pixies Day, jerkoids. Today I listen to nothing but Pixies. If revbob says to me, "Hey, you should listen to this awesome Phish show I recorded." "Screw you," I'd reply, "It's Pixies Day." Flex goes on about some tasty Smash Mouth rarities collection, I'm gonna tell him, "No way, I'm listening Surfer Rosa."
You should listen to some Pixies today. Or Depeche Mode.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 11:05am
You should listen to some Pixies today. Or Depeche Mode.
Unless that Depeche Mode record is something written and performed by the Pixies, no, that would be behaviour insulting to the spirit of Pixies Day.