What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:05pm
You've never heard of the Spunky Onions?!
I've always been more of a Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters aficionado, which has, I admit, limited my horizons.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:13pm
Kory wrote:
I've always been more of a Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters aficionado, which has, I admit, limited my horizons.
I'm always pleased when you make this reference.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I really do dig that movie.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:24pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's both wholesome and enlightening. It's too bad Steve Zahn isn't as charming in his other works.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's both wholesome and enlightening. It's too bad Steve Zahn isn't as charming in his other works.
The only other thing that I can think of that he was in that I liked was SubUrbia. His role is comedic, but it's a pretty dark flick.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:40pm
Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The only other thing that I can think of that he was in that I liked was SubUrbia. His role is comedic, but it's a pretty dark flick.
I don't think I ever saw that. I'll check it out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Circle X, Prehistory. No wave via Kentucky.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Found out one of my local libraries has several of these Soul Jazz comps. I checked out this one and the Akron one. Good stuff.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Attachments
Stranglers old testament.jpg
Stranglers old testament.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 6:30pm

Found out one of my local libraries has several of these Soul Jazz comps. I checked out this one and the Akron one. Good stuff.
I wonder what it would look like to write a history of punk/post-punk without all the official major bands. Do the big names actually represent, writ large, what was happening, or were they just the most marketable and didn't really represent what was going on in dozens, even hundreds of little scenes all over the world. Put another way, is the story of punk actually all these groups who took their shot and then stopped, and then the members went off to have anonymous weird or ordinary lives?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 6:53pm
Wolter wrote:

I wonder what it would look like to write a history of punk/post-punk without all the official major bands. Do the big names actually represent, writ large, what was happening, or were they just the most marketable and didn't really represent what was going on in dozens, even hundreds of little scenes all over the world. Put another way, is the story of punk actually all these groups who took their shot and then stopped, and then the members went off to have anonymous weird or ordinary lives?
Surely without the 'official major bands' it would have been a very small underground scene that would disappear pretty quickly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 7:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Surely without the 'official major bands' it would have been a very small underground scene that would disappear pretty quickly.
Oh sure. I'm talking about a kind of historian's game playing. The big bands undoubtedly inspired (even if in a kind of repellant way—e.g., the No Wave scene, which was a rejection of punk) all these smaller bands. But what I'm getting at is that when we focus on the bands that made it, that gained greater and long-lasting attention, we're missing a key element of the story, which is all those bands who didn't make it, who broke up after releasing a 7" that was heard by a few hundred people. If punk is supposed to be a celebration and encouragement of the amateur and non-conformist, aren't these people the real story? Who makes history, the politicians or the average chumps? It's the same question of where we should train our gaze. The answer is both, of course, but too often the inclination is to go with "the leaders." But that marginalizes another part of the story, ignoring variety and idiosyncrasy that counters the conventional tale.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marianne Faithfull 'Easy Come, Easy Go' (2008).
Gorgeous and harrowing, and featuring Marc Ribot on guitar. All covers; standouts include The Decemberists' "The Crane Wife 3" w/ Nick Cave, Dolly Parton's "Down From Dover", and Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" with Keith Richards. She even gives a Morrissey song some real feeling with "Dear God Please Help Me".
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 7:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 7:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Oh sure. I'm talking about a kind of historian's game playing. The big bands undoubtedly inspired (even if in a kind of repellant way—e.g., the No Wave scene, which was a rejection of punk) all these smaller bands. But what I'm getting at is that when we focus on the bands that made it, that gained greater and long-lasting attention, we're missing a key element of the story, which is all those bands who didn't make it, who broke up after releasing a 7" that was heard by a few hundred people. If punk is supposed to be a celebration and encouragement of the amateur and non-conformist, aren't these people the real story? Who makes history, the politicians or the average chumps? It's the same question of where we should train our gaze. The answer is both, of course, but too often the inclination is to go with "the leaders." But that marginalizes another part of the story, ignoring variety and idiosyncrasy that counters the conventional tale.
Ok I’m with you. Although to be fair a lot of those bands that released one 7” or didn’t even record were actually awful hence why they didn’t go anywhere.
There were some great bands and singles that didn’t get the same press but overall I’d say it was more the other way round and that some awful bands only existed because of the major bands.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 6:35pm
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia