What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 9:26pm
Scandalous by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears

Watch "Scandalous" on YouTube
Scandalous:

Ass kicking tunes.
Hello,

He's very good fun and rocking stuff - lots of songs about booty. I need to see him and the Honeybears live.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 11:50pm
revbob wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 9:26pm
Scandalous by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears

Watch "Scandalous" on YouTube
Scandalous:

Ass kicking tunes.
Hello,

He's very good fun and rocking stuff - lots of songs about booty. I need to see him and the Honeybears live.
Yeah He played here a month or so ago but I was unable to make it. I was disappointed.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Suzi Quatro, who I think gets the short shrift in the history of women who rock. Her 70s singles are great glam-based fun.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 9:23am
Suzi Quatro, who I think gets the short shrift in the history of women who rock. Her 70s singles are great glam-based fun.
+1. Stumblin' In was one of my favourite songs as a kid growing up in the late 70s. Saw an ad for an upcoming legends gig featuring Suzi, Hot Chocolate, Osmonds & David Essex and am seriously thinking of picking up a ticket.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 10:45am
Wolter wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 9:23am
+1. Stumblin' In was one of my favourite songs as a kid growing up in the late 70s. Saw an ad for an upcoming legends gig featuring Suzi, Hot Chocolate, Osmonds & David Essex and am seriously thinking of picking up a ticket.
Yeah, I like Stumblin' In. If You Can't Give Me Love was another good one from the late 70s.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More precisely, watching it. This was one of the first albums to have a video for every track. Matt Johnson in the 80s was absolute dynamite.

Edit: Jesus, what an apocalyptic gem this is. It could have been released in 1999 and been recognized for being fin de siecle angst.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 6:09pm
More precisely, watching it. This was one of the first albums to have a video for every track. Matt Johnson in the 80s was absolute dynamite.

Edit: Jesus, what an apocalyptic gem this is. It could have been released in 1999 and been recognized for being fin de siecle angst.
I've been curious about this band for ages but have never found the time to check them out.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 10:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 6:09pm

I've been curious about this band for ages but have never found the time to check them out.
If you're more adventurous, start with Burning Blue Soul, which was produced by Bruce Gilbert and Graham Lewis, and really does sound like it. MJ comes into his own on the next one, tho, Soul Mining. That one and Infected have a similar state-of-the-tech electro sound to them—that is, it clearly identifies the records with their time, but I don't think they sound especially dated. Then he did a couple albums with Johnny Marr, Mind Bomb and Dusk, that are a more conventional rock band sound. They're all rather darkly themed records, but very involving. All in all, I'm pretty sure you'd love 'em.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Related to the above, several months ago I rediscovered this. Actually, I'd seemingly lost it, having bought a dvd rip a zillion years ago. I tore apart boxes in my basement before finally relocating it. Once I found it and realized that it's neither in print nor easily available online, I ripped and ul'd it for a few people. Not sure why I didn't post the link here, but feel free to share widely. It's a fantastic show MJ did while touring Mind Bomb.

https://mega.nz/#F!cItTjCyQ!CBphccZwNkAHcMpiDW-r5g

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

This guy had a great album last year that had an almost Suicide vibe to it (urgent drum machines, harsh synths, crooning and great melodies). This one is less urgent but still really smartly crafted.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I completely forgot how great The Homosexuals were. And the Astral Glamour comp gives you more than you'll ever even need.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Godspeed You! Black Emperor! 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!. I heard they have a new album coming out this fall, so I was inspired to play this again. Like I need an excuse. In some respects, it's like recent vintage Swans—long, bombastic tracks, grinding repetition, droning—but not as cathartic or passionate as Swans. Far and away, GYBE are the best Canadian band going, maybe the best ever.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

I've been listening to a lot of remastered Kraftwerk lately.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 1:18pm
Godspeed You! Black Emperor! 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!. I heard they have a new album coming out this fall, so I was inspired to play this again. Like I need an excuse. In some respects, it's like recent vintage Swans—long, bombastic tracks, grinding repetition, droning—but not as cathartic or passionate as Swans. Far and away, GYBE are the best Canadian band going, maybe the best ever.
Better than both regular Rush and the Mahogany variety?