What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 8:16pm
The new Damned album is complete brilliance! At this stage in their careers/lives that they can still put out such quality music just makes me so happy.
Yep I agree it's a cracking album. Reminds me of the Black Album/Strawberries era. I love it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

My weapon of choice to beat Medulla with when he steps out of line.
Attachments
Wire - D&E 79-80.jpg
Wire - D&E 79-80.jpg (718.89 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'd love to have a poster of the basis for the D & E album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

New Damned AND New Manics? This is my Christmas!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 6:22am
Yep I prefer it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 9:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep I prefer it.
There is a higher resolution scan here: http://stereosociety.com/20/wirNotreDame.shtml

Given that it's all grey-scale anyway, I wonder whether I could get a print shop to run off a decent 17x24 poster from it. Kory or any other graphic designers, how feasible is that?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

My Police And Thieves playlist on Spotify!!
1st and 2nd wave Ska tracks plus Junior Murvin of course.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep I prefer it.
There is a higher resolution scan here: http://stereosociety.com/20/wirNotreDame.shtml
Cheers for the link Doc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep I prefer it.

Given that it's all grey-scale anyway, I wonder whether I could get a print shop to run off a decent 17x24 poster from it. Kory or any other graphic designers, how feasible is that?
It might look decent from a distance, but they are certainly lying about it being hi-res. It's only 144 ppi, which is only double the usual 72 ppi that you use for online pics. A true hi-res image would be 300 ppi. Given that, and the original dimensions (less than half of what you want the poster to be), I'd say don't hold your breath. You might be able to contact them and get them to rescan at 300 though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 2:14pm
It might look decent from a distance, but they are certainly lying about it being hi-res. It's only 144 ppi, which is only double the usual 72 ppi that you use for online pics. A true hi-res image would be 300 ppi. Given that, and the original dimensions (less than half of what you want the poster to be), I'd say don't hold your breath. You might be able to contact them and get them to rescan at 300 though.
Just double-checking that you dl'd the hi-res (allegedly) version from the link, not the graphic displayed. Preview is showing it as 1180 x 1667.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 2:46pm
Kory wrote:
Just double-checking that you dl'd the hi-res (allegedly) version from the link, not the graphic displayed. Preview is showing it as 1180 x 1667.
Yeah but that doesn't translate to much in inches, I'm afraid, especially given the resolution of the image. The issue is that expanding it is going to magnify the lo-res pixels. Any sort of blowing up from a smaller size is going to have this problem but it gets worse the more you need to blow it up. It's worth a shot since the image is mostly halftone and might look decent from a distance, but it won't be very high quality. You'd have better luck, I think, going with 11x17 or 12x18 at the most.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah but that doesn't translate to much in inches, I'm afraid, especially given the resolution of the image. The issue is that expanding it is going to magnify the lo-res pixels. Any sort of blowing up from a smaller size is going to have this problem but it gets worse the more you need to blow it up. It's worth a shot since the image is mostly halftone and might look decent from a distance, but it won't be very high quality. You'd have better luck, I think, going with 11x17 or 12x18 at the most.
I was thinking of going with a smallish size anyway, 11 x 16. I've got a few small gig posters like that. Given that the original graphic isn't especially hi-res anyway, I wondered if that would minimize the visual effect of the lost resolution. Anyway, one place said it'd be $20 for the printing, so I can take a chance on that.

edit: Yup, $20 on poster-quality paper. If it doesn't turn out, no big deal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 3:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I was thinking of going with a smallish size anyway, 11 x 16. I've got a few small gig posters like that. Given that the original graphic isn't especially hi-res anyway, I wondered if that would minimize the visual effect of the lost resolution. Anyway, one place said it'd be $20 for the printing, so I can take a chance on that.

Yeah I think that will work ok. There will likely be some pixelation, but not nearly as bad as the 17x24 you were thinking about earlier.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah I think that will work ok. There will likely be some pixelation, but not nearly as bad as the 17x24 you were thinking about earlier.
However it turns out, I'll post a pic when I get it back later this week.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 6:50pm
Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

However it turns out, I'll post a pic when I get it back later this week.
Yeah, I'm curious to see the quality. I'll keep an eye out.