What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:51am
coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 12:27pm
I also eventually picked up the "follow up":

Complete-Adventures-Of-The-Style-Council.jpg
I've got that also. Not too many Style Council fans 'round these parts.
I'll stand up for the first ep and album. After that … um, some okay singles. "Speak Like a Child" is especially superb.
I agree with this statement, I got the box just for the unreleased Modernism album, which wasn't really that good
I got this box set very recently, been meaning to get it for ages. Haven't listened to the Modernism disc much yet. Agreed that the Introducing EP/mini LP is good. First album is good, but perhaps doesn't flow very well due to the instrumentals? My favourite is Our Favourite Shop, I think that hangs together really well as an album. Man of Great Promise is stand out for me. A bit law of diminishing returns after that, I think.
I agree with this. There are still good tracks scattered here and there after Our Favourite Shop. A lot of the early B-sides are very good. I also have the two live albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 2:09pm
laxman wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'll stand up for the first ep and album. After that … um, some okay singles. "Speak Like a Child" is especially superb.
I agree with this statement, I got the box just for the unreleased Modernism album, which wasn't really that good
I got this box set very recently, been meaning to get it for ages. Haven't listened to the Modernism disc much yet. Agreed that the Introducing EP/mini LP is good. First album is good, but perhaps doesn't flow very well due to the instrumentals? My favourite is Our Favourite Shop, I think that hangs together really well as an album. Man of Great Promise is stand out for me. A bit law of diminishing returns after that, I think.
I agree with this. There are still good tracks scattered here and there after Our Favourite Shop. A lot of the early B-sides are very good. I also have the two live albums.
I agree with that too. Piccadilly Trail, Just came to pieces in my hand, Ghosts of Dachau plus plenty of others. I have one of the live albums. I really like When you call me. Didn’t hear a studio version of that for ages, I wasn’t sure if one even existed.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 2:09pm
laxman wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I have Home and Abroad live album it is great. Weller stuff always sounds great live.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This week I've been getting Down With the King. No not Elvis but the latest album from The Panic Report. It's a cracker of an album and fave tunes thus far are "Codes Are Red" "The Land of Opportunity" and "Black Rats". Nice nod to Capital Radio in "Off the Map". Not sure about the Nancy Sinarta cover but it adds some light relief. Great album get yerself a listen NOW!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:34am
This week I've been getting Down With the King. No not Elvis but the latest album from The Panic Report. It's a cracker of an album and fave tunes thus far are "Codes Are Red" "The Land of Opportunity" and "Black Rats". Nice nod to Capital Radio in "Off the Map". Not sure about the Nancy Sinarta cover but it adds some light relief. Great album get yerself a listen NOW!
How does one acquire a copy? Im not opposed to paying.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston kindly gave me an upload. I don't think the physical copy is released yet. I'm sure Heston will be along shortly to give more info.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 3:08pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston kindly gave me an upload. I don't think the physical copy is released yet. I'm sure Heston will be along shortly to give more info.
Thank you kindly Marky, glad you're digging it. I will stick a link up when the artwork is done which should be this week. The Nancy cover was done as it's a bit of a live favourite and yeah, maybe a bit light relief. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Thank you kindly Marky, glad you're digging it. I will stick a link up when the artwork is done which should be this week. The Nancy cover was done as it's a bit of a live favourite and yeah, maybe a bit light relief. :mrgreen:
Oh, Off the Map made the album, I'm honoured!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 6:22pm
Heston wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh, Off the Map made the album, I'm honoured!
The lads in the band loved it mate, glad we got it together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of my favourite Wobble albums, this one applying his dub thing to Laotian music.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm listening to this band, Maxïmo Park, because I heard they were influenced by Magazine, but they just sound like the clutch of neo-post-punk bands from the 2000's.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 3:42pm
I'm listening to this band, Maxïmo Park, because I heard they were influenced by Magazine, but they just sound like the clutch of neo-post-punk bands from the 2000's.
Heh, I remember checking them out based on the same comparison and soon walked away.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 3:59pm
Kory wrote:
Heh, I remember checking them out based on the same comparison and soon walked away.
I'm now checking out Mansun from the very same comparison, and liking them more, probably because they aren't trying to sound like anyone else, and they are a little more high-concept.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Addendum: do you have the "final" version of CZ? I know there's a lot of copies floating around in various stages of completion and I'm not sure which one I have.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 3:59pm
Kory wrote:
I'm now checking out Mansun from the very same comparison, and liking them more, probably because they aren't trying to sound like anyone else, and they are a little more high-concept.
I've heard "Wide Open Space" from them and liked it well enough, but nothing else.