Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:22pm
Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:40pm

I assume your argument is to not sound like anyone else? It's a great ideal, but the vast degree of sub-genres makes it pretty much impossible now.
No, I'm not that idealistic, but I think when somebody comes in with a new song where we all say very confidently "that sounds very much like [band x]" we should work a little harder to cover our theft. I get enormous amounts of pushback on this small preference.
Well, assuming there is a desire in the band to sell records, the only thing that matters is finding a market. Crass as it is, that's all that matters—not whether it's good or meaningful or original, but whether it can be effectively marketed to the kind of people who might want to buy it. So coming up with a song that sounds like [Famous Artist] is cutting to the chase—this can be marketed to fans of [Famous Artist]. Now, the x-factor in it all might be what you're hinting at—fans of [Famous Artist] might reject it because it sounds too similar. Depends on the fans. To me, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Lots of distinct bands get nowhere, lots of copycat bands get nowhere commercially, a few distinct ones and a few copycats find success. But I don't necessarily think your bandmates are wrong in trying to sound like a particular band as a way of getting at that audience.
I guess that's the biggest difference between me and these guys—they want to be big and I want to explore different styles of music.
Right guy, wrong band.
A thought that goes through my head frequently. I'm constantly on the verge of quitting but it's so hard, especially at my age, to find musicians that are willing to practice regularly. What became VERY clear to me yesterday during an argument about whether our new album should be pressed to vinyl, is that our singer doesn't really like being in a band at all. She just views it as a vehicle for becoming a star, whatever that means to her.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 12:22pm
A thought that goes through my head frequently. I'm constantly on the verge of quitting but it's so hard, especially at my age, to find musicians that are willing to practice regularly. What became VERY clear to me yesterday during an argument about whether our new album should be pressed to vinyl, is that our singer doesn't really like being in a band at all. She just views it as a vehicle for becoming a star, whatever that means to her.
I guess it's good that you're aware of all this, but, yeah, between your more insular artistic ambitions and her personal, celebrity ambitions, it seems a rickety structure. Which could be liberating for you—if there are multiple people pulling in different directions, it's not like you're the problematic one. No guilt, in other words. Plus, if this seems short-term—and everything you describe does suggest this—maybe you want to switch to a fun-while-it-lasts mode. I dunno. But regardless, it doesn't seem worth you being frustrated and miserable (if ever it was worth it).

I'll still buy your record, tho.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 11:55am
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:04pm

No, I'm not that idealistic, but I think when somebody comes in with a new song where we all say very confidently "that sounds very much like [band x]" we should work a little harder to cover our theft. I get enormous amounts of pushback on this small preference.
Well, assuming there is a desire in the band to sell records, the only thing that matters is finding a market. Crass as it is, that's all that matters—not whether it's good or meaningful or original, but whether it can be effectively marketed to the kind of people who might want to buy it. So coming up with a song that sounds like [Famous Artist] is cutting to the chase—this can be marketed to fans of [Famous Artist]. Now, the x-factor in it all might be what you're hinting at—fans of [Famous Artist] might reject it because it sounds too similar. Depends on the fans. To me, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Lots of distinct bands get nowhere, lots of copycat bands get nowhere commercially, a few distinct ones and a few copycats find success. But I don't necessarily think your bandmates are wrong in trying to sound like a particular band as a way of getting at that audience.
I guess that's the biggest difference between me and these guys—they want to be big and I want to explore different styles of music.
Right guy, wrong band.
I can see your predicament / paradox. The essence of this problem may be the time you are able to comitt to a band that don't view music or artistic merit as you do. I take it you still pursue your own musical journey outside the reaches of the band. Just being in a band simply isn't enough.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 1:08pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 11:55am
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Right guy, wrong band.
I can see your predicament / paradox. The essence of this problem may be the time you are able to comitt to a band that don't view music or artistic merit as you do. I take it you still pursue your own musical journey outside the reaches of the band. Just being in a band simply isn't enough.
That's part of my pain, I think. Because of the drive of my singer to become famous, I spend much of my free time dealing with this thing and haven't had any time for my own stuff. My struggle really boils down to: I feel like I'm wasting my limited time when I have to spend every moment arguing, but I'm so bloody-minded about any project I get into that I'm always reluctant to quit anything. I think if I can find a way to carve out time for my own work again, I might feel better about it.
Last edited by Kory on 22 Mar 2019, 2:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 12:42pm
I'll still buy your record, tho.
I just hope it will be worth the time and energy.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:40pm
That's part of my pain, I think. Because of the drive of my singer to become famous, I spend much of my free time dealing with this thing and haven't had any time for my own stuff. My struggle really boils down to: I feel like I'm wasting my limited time when I have to spend every moment arguing, but I'm so bloody-minded about any project I get into that I'm always reluctant to quit anything. I think if I can find a way to carve out time for my own work again, I might feel better about it.
you could just frame her for murder. Then she'd be famous and you could have more free time with the rest of the band. win/win
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:47pm
Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:40pm
you could just frame her for murder. Then she'd be famous and you could have more free time with the rest of the band. win/win
Stop offering that as a solution to everything.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:55pm
when you have a hammer...

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:55pm
when you have a hammer...
...you try and frame me for hammer murder, I know.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 2:59pm
...you try and frame me for hammer murder, I know.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Far be it from me to agree with the robot but yeah. You gotta frame her for hammer murder.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

This is looking better and better every time I go over it. Now if I just had the hammer...

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 3:09pm
This is looking better and better every time I go over it. Now if I just had the hammer...
Oh, that's what Pete Seeger was singing about

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/