Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:09pm
revbob wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:02pm
Its hard to have much variation from Markys original track listing. I burned my own such CD years ago, but also included songs like 15th Brigade and ...? Cant recall. I played it a lot back in the day, good on family road trips.
revbob's pickin' the tunes!
Guaranteed crowd pleaser. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 5:23pm
Struggling with this one. Not for a shortage of tracks, but to make a viable, coherent Strummer album. Would have a lot from Walker which I adore, nothing from Permanent Record which I don't (unless the outtakes are considered in which case Cholo Vest is a contender) and from the others Afro Cuban Be Bop is a certainty and Generations a probable.

Love Kills and Dum Dum Club are good songs, as is Its a Rocking World, but I just don't see them fitting with Walker tracks. I find it difficult to put them in any convenient Joe category at all.
Personally I would leave off the Walker tracks.
Whilst I appreciate them for what they are it isn't my thing plus those tracks individually won't really fit on a comp album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:40pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Struggling with this one. Not for a shortage of tracks, but to make a viable, coherent Strummer album. Would have a lot from Walker which I adore, nothing from Permanent Record which I don't (unless the outtakes are considered in which case Cholo Vest is a contender) and from the others Afro Cuban Be Bop is a certainty and Generations a probable.

Love Kills and Dum Dum Club are good songs, as is Its a Rocking World, but I just don't see them fitting with Walker tracks. I find it difficult to put them in any convenient Joe category at all.
Whilst I appreciate them for what they are it isn't my thing plus those tracks individually won't really fit on a comp album.
Well you did pick The Unknown Immortal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 3:54pm
I guess I'd cut Dum Dum Club and Evil Darling to slot them in.
Good god, are you insane?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I don't get this thing about tracks sitting right together and making viable, coherent albums. We're talking about a man who was involved with Sandinista and Earthquake Weather, both of which genre-hopped all over the place. Shouting Street next to Island Hopping, that kind of thing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not saying they're awful songs by any means. Just that if two have to be sacrificed, those are the ones.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not saying they're awful songs by any means. Just that if two have to be sacrificed, those are the ones.
Yeah, I know, but your choice is still insane.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you want to nominate songs for replacement, I'm sure you'll seem just as insane. Just because, well, you know. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:49pm
I don't get this thing about tracks sitting right together and making viable, coherent albums. We're talking about a man who was involved with Sandinista and Earthquake Weather, both of which genre-hopped all over the place. Shouting Street next to Island Hopping, that kind of thing.
Yeah I think it appears easier to find cohesion in those you mention because mainly they were recorded with same musicians at the same time period. It's not so much about different styles of music sitting next to one another as it is the feel of the music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:09pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you want to nominate songs for replacement, I'm sure you'll seem just as insane. Just because, well, you know. :shifty:
Burnin' Lights and Afro Cuban Be Bop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:09pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Burnin' Lights and Afro Cuban Be Bop.
You're insane. I have no opinion about your picks.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:13pm
Heston wrote:
Yeah I think it appears easier to find cohesion in those you mention because mainly they were recorded with same musicians at the same time period. It's not so much about different styles of music sitting next to one another as it is the feel of the music.
Oh yeah, I can take that on board, but we were talking about a compilation album I think. Anyway, the jump between say, Unknown Immortal and Trash City isn't that great with the right kind of mastering

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 7:13pm
Heston wrote:
Oh yeah, I can take that on board, but we were talking about a compilation album I think. Anyway, the jump between say, Unknown Immortal and Trash City isn't that great with the right kind of mastering
Yeah the idea is/was to b an album of songs that Joe could of possibly of recorded as a follow up to EW had the rcord company not been such a useless bunch of fools. Imagine any of the tracks picked but all recorded by the same unit/producer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Not sure I can play with this one, as I don't know some of those one-off soundtrack songs ("Evil Darling" is very strong), and in any case, I've always viewed 'Permanent Record' and 'Earthquake Weather' and its b-sides to be of a piece (love 'em both). Certainly "Love Kills" and "Dum Dum Club" are great (especially Dum Dum Club, what with Micks haunting/haunted guitar), and the "proper" tracks from 'Walker' are great also, but I just can't come up with a list that would make sense as an album as they were recorded. A sympatico band cohesion is fundamental for an artist like Joe, even if it's a sub-par band that he has to carry (i.e. Clash II, LRW).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 6:40pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Well you did pick The Unknown Immortal.
Yep but I was talking in reference to the issue LDL raised.