Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:17am
"If You Leave"—embarrassing sell-out or excellent pop that finally put a few bucks in the bank account?

I'm in the latter camp and, as I've said before, the faux strings are marvellous.
Same here. It's a classic pop song - very well done...especially considering the song was written AND recorded in 24 hours. Growing up when I did - the song is forever etched in my memory with the ending of Pretty in Pink.
I hate that movie quite a bit, but the soundtrack is a decent snapshot of mid-80s alternative pop.
I've never been that fond of The Pacific Age, however.
Me neither, tho it's been years since i listened, so I might feel more charitable now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

hairydot61 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 6:36am
1. Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark
2. Tripped over the Basson
3. Poked the Cellist in the eye with violin bow in the Dark
4. Trod on Tuba players toe
5. Crush
Heh.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:17am
"If You Leave"—embarrassing sell-out or excellent pop that finally put a few bucks in the bank account?

I'm in the latter camp and, as I've said before, the faux strings are marvellous.
Same here. It's a classic pop song - very well done...especially considering the song was written AND recorded in 24 hours. Growing up when I did - the song is forever etched in my memory with the ending of Pretty in Pink.

I've never been that fond of The Pacific Age, however.
Yeah. I’m in the latter camp.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

1. The Punishment of Luxury
2. Dazzle Ships
3. Organisation
4. English Electric
5. Architecture & Morality

The no comp/live rule excludes the Peel Sessions and Live at the Museum of Liverpool, which are definitely in my top 5.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:15am
Wolter wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 7:20am
revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 9:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 8:57pm
It's a hands up from me this week I don't know their catalogue well enough to compare albums :disshame:

Rev-Wally hi-fives, and no need to feel any shame.
At gunpoint I would have trouble naming one. I like their singles collection well enough.
For me it's more that I can't stand them. I would have sworn Heston already did them.
Don't forget the Clash were purveyors of pop songs. I think that's why a lot of people on here like bands like DD and OMD. If this were a Crass or Metallica forum I would be more surprised.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:37pm
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It's a hands up from me this week I don't know their catalogue well enough to compare albums :disshame:

At gunpoint I would have trouble naming one. I like their singles collection well enough.
For me it's more that I can't stand them. I would have sworn Heston already did them.
Don't forget the Clash were purveyors of pop songs. I think that's why a lot of people on here like bands like DD and OMD. If this were a Crass or Metallica forum I would be more surprised.
Yeah I guess its about each person's musical journey in a way. I came to the Clash not as a fan of pop music, certainly not in the 80s sense. You make a good point though and that likely explains why I'll get those AI music suggestions for 80s pop music based on me liking the Clash.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The make-up of the fanbase would have been much more limited if a young Chris Knowles murdered the band before they entered the studio to make LC, ensuring GEER and CoL was the final, true sound of the band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:59pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:

The make-up of the fanbase would have been much more limited if a young Chris Knowles murdered the band before they entered the studio to make LC, ensuring GEER and CoL was the final, true sound of the band.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:53pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah I guess its about each person's musical journey in a way. I came to the Clash not as a fan of pop music, certainly not in the 80s sense. You make a good point though and that likely explains why I'll get those AI music suggestions for 80s pop music based on me liking the Clash.
As I said in my original OMD thread post, they are an anomaly to me. I wouldn’t normally like a band like OMD and don’t like most of the similar groups but for some reason their singles stick with me. Probably because of the 2 Joan Of Arc songs as someone mentioned previously.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Not far wrong revbob. Heston did the singles and this one is the albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 4:39pm
revbob wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:53pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:

As I said in my original OMD thread post, they are an anomaly to me. I wouldn’t normally like a band like OMD and don’t like most of the similar groups but for some reason their singles stick with me. Probably because of the 2 Joan Of Arc songs as someone mentioned previously.
Always liked their early singles. Stopped liking them around the time of Locomotion. They kinda tuned into a saccharine pop for a while after Paul Humphreys quit the band. They are back to their best in recent times though and their albums are solid.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 7:25pm
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Not far wrong revbob. Heston did the singles and this one is the albums.
Okay I thought Id railed against these guys in the past in this thread.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Blondie Top 5 albums no live/comps.

1. Parallel Lines
2. Eat to the Beat
3. Plastic Letters
4. Blondie
5. Autoamaerican

1/2 are virtually inseparable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Parallel Lines
Plastic Letters
Eat to the Beat
Blondie
No Exit (based on the stellar Maria alone, but it has some other gems as well)
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 10:10am
Blondie Top 5 albums no live/comps.

1. Parallel Lines
2. Eat to the Beat