Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by Flex »

I'm listening to Al's only real solo album A Postcard from California again. One of the most enjoyable albums in the Beach Boys extended universe, imho. Lots of great guest spots all over the album and a good mix of originals and old Beach Boys tunes re-recorded. Al doesn't try to do anything but give into his folkier background and make something of a "beach boys by way of americana" record, which works great with his sensibilities. Here's the album's version of A California Saga, with Neil Young (and David Crosby and Stephen Stills providing backing vocals):

It sounds like it could have been an extra cut from the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo sessions or something. It's not bleeding edge innovation or anything, but Al's usually had the best sense of calibrating playing to his strengths without turning into pure moribund nostalgia shlock (I mean, it's ALL nostalgia, but he's pretty tasteful about it most of the time).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Brian’s wife Melinda passed away today at 77. She was at times a controversial figure, but my heart goes out to him and their children.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

How did I miss that Brian had been diagnosed with dementia? I saw photos of him at a Lakers game the other night and he looked ancient. The accompanying article mentioned it was his first public outing since being diagnosed. This makes me very sad, though I'm not shocked. There had been news recently: no word on a tour, nothing on new music, anything. He played his last live dates in mid-2022 and by most accounts they were not great, with Brian looking like he was barely there. It's like he has quietly faded away since then, almost without most fans even realizing it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:50pm
How did I miss that Brian had been diagnosed with dementia? I saw photos of him at a Lakers game the other night and he looked ancient. The accompanying article mentioned it was his first public outing since being diagnosed. This makes me very sad, though I'm not shocked. There had been news recently: no word on a tour, nothing on new music, anything. He played his last live dates in mid-2022 and by most accounts they were not great, with Brian looking like he was barely there. It's like he has quietly faded away since then, almost without most fans even realizing it.
We are going to lose some absolute legends in the next ten years: Brian, Dylan, Mick/Keith. Honestly, it's a miracle Brian made it this long, though dementia is brutal on families and friends.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:50pm
We are going to lose some absolute legends in the next ten years: Brian, Dylan, Mick/Keith. Honestly, it's a miracle Brian made it this long, though dementia is brutal on families and friends.
I was just thinking the same thing. Add McCartney to that list, too.

My last Brian show was September 2019 and I sadly left with a bad taste in my mouth. He simply did not look like he wanted to be there. I think playing live was not something he wanted to do, but for whatever the reason - his team kept him out there. I do hope that during the final part of his career that he got to feel the love and appreciation from his fans and to know what he's meant to so any of us.