[youtube][/youtube]

God...damn.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: THE REPLACEMENTS Song of the Day

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

God...damn.
Great fun and I'm pleased they included it as an extra but hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

God...damn.
Sounds like KISS. :rolleyes:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

More proof that DTAS was an intentional-grounding production job. :angry:

[youtube][/youtube]

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[youtube][/youtube]

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sounds like a second rate bar band. Laughable that you're even comparing it the the real version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:KISS sounds like a second rate bar band. Laughable that you're even comparing it their inferior version.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:KISS sounds like a second rate bar band. Laughable that you're even comparing it their inferior version.
Say what you like about KISS, but Detroit Rock City is a top notch song in its genre, probably KISS's best. It's also executed very well, with a great funky bass line and glorious harmonized lead guitars. The version above just sounds knocked off as an afterthought.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Say what you like about KISS, but Detroit Rock City is a top notch song in its genre, probably KISS's best. it's also executed very well, with a great funky bass line and glorious harmonized lead guitars. The version above just sounds knocked off as an afterthought.
I would like to see KISS try to execute a totally unrehearsed cover this solidly while so drunk they're seeing double-audience. The thrill in live 'Mats is seeing the bar band swing for the fences (and sometimes miss brutally) for the thrill of nailing it. If you're comparing that apples-apples with a night at an overpriced KISS infomercial. . .

Heston

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Say what you like about KISS, but Detroit Rock City is a top notch song in its genre, probably KISS's best. it's also executed very well, with a great funky bass line and glorious harmonized lead guitars. The version above just sounds knocked off as an afterthought.
I would like to see KISS try to execute a totally unrehearsed cover this solidly while so drunk they're seeing double-audience. The thrill in live 'Mats is seeing the bar band swing for the fences (and sometimes miss brutally) for the thrill of nailing it. If you're comparing that apples-apples with a night at an overpriced KISS infomercial. . .

Hmmm, I'd put it to a poll, but I fear some voting wouldn't be for the song in question, but the band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hmmm, I'd put it to a poll, but I fear some voting wouldn't be for the song in question, but the band.
My vote would be about you. ;)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have no respect for the Replacements' drunken rep. Hell, it more or less killed Bob Stinson. I mean there is some romanticism in the "gloriously wasted" look of Keith Richards cerca 72 or the boozed up bar band playing for their lives. In the end though, you have to have some level of self respect not to play when your BAC is well beyond 0.20.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Is it a Hoyston, though?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:Is it a Hoyston, though?
Eh, I thought the cover was okay. I'm not super crazy about the original though. I could go either way and don't really care too much.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have no respect for the Replacements' drunken rep. Hell, it more or less killed Bob Stinson. I mean there is some romanticism in the "gloriously wasted" look of Keith Richards cerca 72 or the boozed up bar band playing for their lives. In the end though, you have to have some level of self respect not to play when your BAC is well beyond 0.20.
You can't separate the drunkenness out from everything else. It was who they were. And self-medication was what was fueling the punk/alternative scene in Minneapolis in the early-80's: the futility of being young in the bottomed-out rust belt. The vice was part-and-parcel...it's disingenuous at best to try to cherry-pick it because these bands would not have existed were they not shiftless and looking for escape. It's definitely claimed its casualties, even inside the 'Mats: Bob in '95, Steve Foley in '08. Slim Dunlap with the massive stroke he suffered 6 months ago. And Westerberg more or less being forced off the road by his inability to avoid relapses on tour (and he's even on that deterrent medication that makes you vomit violently if you ingest any alcohol).

Nobody's saying it's honorable. It's like them as they are, not as you want them to be. The audacity of the drunk shows was part of it.

Chairman Ralph, with a definitive word or two: http://www.22designs.com/foshaytower2/a ... dmine.html

I find it fitting that Gene Simmons so didn't 'get' what he was in for attending a Mats' show that he stormed out in a huff. That's all I need to know about why I prefer the 'superior' covers. :approve: