Question for Heston

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Question for Heston

Post by Heston »

Has anyone on here heard of Steve Conte? Been offered a support slot with him in August but not much money involved and I've personally never heard of him. A google search reveals he was in the New York Dolls but does he have any kind of decent profile in the music world?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 1:27pm
Has anyone on here heard of Steve Conte? Been offered a support slot with him in August but not much money involved and I've personally never heard of him. A google search reveals he was in the New York Dolls but does he have any kind of decent profile in the music world?
Yup, Conte was in the Dolls' reunion lineup for their first two new albums/tours.

Don't know much about him but from what I've heard is he's played in loads of bands and is well respected; specializes in classic glammy hard rock/punk stuff. Very good player (if a little generic/"pro"), loved those new Dolls albums, think you should deffo take the gig. He's sure to have some audience due to the Dolls connection.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 2:06pm
Heston wrote:
Yup, Conte was in the Dolls' reunion lineup for their first two new albums/tours.

Don't know much about him but from what I've heard is he's played in loads of bands and is well respected; specializes in classic glammy hard rock/punk stuff. Very good player (if a little generic/"pro"), loved those new Dolls albums, think you should deffo take the gig. He's sure to have some audience due to the Dolls connection.
Thanks mate, will probably go for it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 2:27pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 2:06pm
Heston wrote:

Thanks mate, will probably go for it.
Should clarify: I only know Conte's work as a guitar player and bv's in the reconstituted Dolls. Mostly only know his CV and resume by reputation, so I can't vouch for his lead vox or solo material, etc. Dude does have the young Keef/Johnny Thunders look going (actually looks like Joe Perry :shifty: ), for better or worse.

I'm curious - how does Panic Report get their gigs? Do you have a sort of manager type, or do touring bands know of you lot and request you specifically? Or is it just the gig booker who tries to make a good match (in which case that person would have to know your work, yeah?)? I've wondered about this for years, even when I was playing in bands (never had a manager, always word of mouth/demos etc.).

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 2:54pm
I'm curious - how does Panic Report get their gigs? Do you have a sort of manager type, or do touring bands know of you lot and request you specifically? Or is it just the gig booker who tries to make a good match (in which case that person would have to know your work, yeah?)? I've wondered about this for years, even when I was playing in bands (never had a manager, always word of mouth/demos etc.).
No manager mate, I just deal with the bookings. The support slots with "known" artists we've played with are usually just word of mouth. Our gigs with Neville Staple, Angelic Upstarts and XSLF etc were probably a case of them wanting a support band with a decent following in the local area.

In between those type of gigs we will just play local bars, pitching our own stuff in amongst covers (Clash, Jam, Specials etc), which puts bums on seats and gives us some money to work with.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 7:24pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
No manager mate, I just deal with the bookings. The support slots with "known" artists we've played with are usually just word of mouth. Our gigs with Neville Staple, Angelic Upstarts and XSLF etc were probably a case of them wanting a support band with a decent following in the local area.

In between those type of gigs we will just play local bars, pitching our own stuff in amongst covers (Clash, Jam, Specials etc), which puts bums on seats and gives us some money to work with.
Yeah but how do they contact you, Facebook or social media?

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:02pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Facebook is the way now.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:03pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Facebook is the way now.
Got it. Do the "known" bands ever as for recorded material or do they just check YouTube vids? Sorry for the dumb questions, just interested in how peeps book shows these days. Like, did Steve Conte check out some of PR's music and say "that seems like some stuff that would compliment our show", or what...

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Facebook is the way now.
Got it. Do the "known" bands ever as for recorded material or do they just check YouTube vids? Sorry for the dumb questions, just interested in how peeps book shows these days. Like, did Steve Conte check out some of PR's music and say "that seems like some stuff that would compliment our show", or what...
No, I think it's more a case of the venue owner or promoter knowing the band can put bums on seats, even in a support capacity. The Steve Conte gig is a good example. It's a venue we've played before and pulled a good crowd to. Our followers will bolster Steve's crowd, he gets most of the money, we get to play an all original set and sell some merch.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:14pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Facebook is the way now.
No, I think it's more a case of the venue owner or promoter knowing the band can put bums on seats, even in a support capacity. The Steve Conte gig is a good example. It's a venue we've played before and pulled a good crowd to. Our followers will bolster Steve's crowd, he gets most of the money, we get to play an all original set and sell some merch.
For this reason it sounds a good proposition. Conte is a good guitar player with his stuff with the NYD and soundtracks however musically there are better fits for the music you play.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 8:22pm
For this reason it sounds a good proposition. Conte is a good guitar player with his stuff with the NYD and soundtracks however musically there are better fits for the music you play.
Yeah, that's the rub. I'm still debating whether to play it as we already had a provisional booking that night for better money. Money isn't the be all and end all but I'm not sure we're a good match.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Heston's band may not have a manager, but they have a very good graphic designer who creates great gig posters and such, and that adds a level of professionalism that gets noticed by bookers.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I've got a question. Where are my stinkin^ badges !

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 5:17am
We had a consignment of merch went missing! Next batch mate....

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 6:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 5:17am
We had a consignment of merch went missing! Next batch mate....
No worries mate and no rush. ;) :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia