A Band Called Death

General music discussion.
modskin
Unknown Immortal

A Band Called Death

Post by modskin »

Well, I finally got around to watching A Band Called Death, the documentary about Detroit proto-punk myths, DEATH.

At the end, I felt like I would rather still have the myth and my one experience seeing them live.

For the uninitiated, DEATH were a rock and roll band in Detroit that existed from around 1973-1980. In that time, they recorded a 7 song album (which remained unreleased until 2009), and a 45 (Politicians In My Eyes b/w Keep On Knocking). The other extraordinary thing is that this was punk music being made by 3 brothers, who also happened to be black. Before the Ramones, before Bad Brains, etc.. Their recordings received a wide release after one of their sons heard their 45 after a record collector friend was flipping out over it. He knew it was his dad singing. Long story short, tapes are recovered, brothers get Death together for a few gigs, record gets released.

A lot has been made of the hype surrounding their re-discovery and the album that was unearthed. It is an ASTONISHING record. Glad to see they have finally gotten their due, and are staying humble about it.

Here's the album and the trailer for the doc:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And some recent live stuff:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: A Band Called Death

Post by Spiff »

Coincidentally, I got that DVD from my local library last week, but never got around to watching it. I had to return it today to avoid an overdue fine.

But I'm going to request it again, and hopefully find time to watch it.

And report back here, of course, with my excellent observations on DDT (Deep Death Theory).
Last edited by Spiff on 17 Sep 2013, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

been on my watch list for months.

anyway, that "Keep on Knocking" song is as good as any. and the melody reminds me of FEAR's "I Don't Care About You"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

D/loaded the album from here a few years back. Haven't spun it for a while but remember it being very good.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

It always starts in Detroit for some reason.

There were bands like the MC5, and the Stooges, and Alice Cooper.. They all had a sound that we know as being the roots of punk in America. However, when the Ramones happened, there's not a link to those bands. It never seemed (at least to me) like there was a band before them that was a transitionary thing. DEATH feels like the bridge between what was happening in rock and roll on the popular level in 1973-74-75 and what became punk.

I think the band that they would be closest to musically after punk became a thing would be the Dictators. They've got chops, but they're not high-brow music.

My two cents.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I haven't seen the movie yet.

Another interesting bit of info is that the sons of Bobby Hackney before knowing a out Death formed a punk band of their own. They play around here quite a bit. They do covers of Death songs and their own stuff. They released an album in 2013 that I need to buy.

Maybe this was covered in the film.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

modskin wrote:Well, I finally got around to watching A Band Called Death, the documentary about Detroit proto-punk myths, DEATH.

At the end, I felt like I would rather still have the myth and my one experience seeing them live.

For the uninitiated, DEATH were a rock and roll band in Detroit that existed from around 1973-1980. In that time, they recorded a 7 song album (which remained unreleased until 2009), and a 45 (Politicians In My Eyes b/w Keep On Knocking). The other extraordinary thing is that this was punk music being made by 3 brothers, who also happened to be black. Before the Ramones, before Bad Brains, etc.. Their recordings received a wide release after one of their sons heard their 45 after a record collector friend was flipping out over it. He knew it was his dad singing. Long story short, tapes are recovered, brothers get Death together for a few gigs, record gets released.

A lot has been made of the hype surrounding their re-discovery and the album that was unearthed. It is an ASTONISHING record. Glad to see they have finally gotten their due, and are staying humble about it.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Hello,

I downloaded it a while back and listened to it quite a few times. It's very good. I haven't played it in a while - I need to revisit it.

I should look for the documentary. Is it available commercially? Ebay?

Another bass player/singer.....

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

gkbill wrote:
modskin wrote:Well, I finally got around to watching A Band Called Death, the documentary about Detroit proto-punk myths, DEATH.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Hello,

I downloaded it a while back and listened to it quite a few times. It's very good. I haven't played it in a while - I need to revisit it.

I should look for the documentary. Is it available commercially? Ebay?

Another bass player/singer.....
Yep. It is available on DVD and Blu-Ray. I know that it was also available on On-Demand through my cable box.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

modskin wrote:It always starts in Detroit for some reason.

There were bands like the MC5, and the Stooges, and Alice Cooper.. They all had a sound that we know as being the roots of punk in America. However, when the Ramones happened, there's not a link to those bands. It never seemed (at least to me) like there was a band before them that was a transitionary thing. DEATH feels like the bridge between what was happening in rock and roll on the popular level in 1973-74-75 and what became punk.

I think the band that they would be closest to musically after punk became a thing would be the Dictators. They've got chops, but they're not high-brow music.

My two cents.
It's not good to look at this band as a bridge when there was no connection in the first place. These things were independent, i.e. punk roots, Death and punk, and trying to link them retrospectively is futile. I'd see the point if just one band had referenced them, but otherwise, no.

Not my two cents, just my tuppence worth.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I was ambivalent about the movie, but what an amazing album.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Their replacement guitarist is unfortunate. He's got none of the doom their brother had on guitar. He's not as big as the songs are.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Which is not to say I wouldn't still freak if I saw them live.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I caught the last hour or so of this the other night... need to watch it start to finish. It did get me around to getting the album though which I recommend if you like that early 70s proto punk. I need to get the new album that the sons put out too.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wow, now it's been on my watch list for over 5 years.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

How weird that this should come up now, as I listened to the album just last night.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc