400 posts...

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

400 posts...

Post by WestwayKid »

I know 400 is not much compared to most of you...

Music has meant more to me in my life than anything (except my kids). I have a lot of favorite bands. I’ve bounced around many, many music forums. Hell, I spent time on the Smiley Smile forum (it’s like a musical warzone). I can’t remember how I stumbled on you lot this last fall...but I’m glad I did. Good collection of people. Fun discussions. I appreciate the honest opinions.

...and this gets me to post #397 (I think)....
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: 400 posts...

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Yup! #397! I’m getting to #400 tonight. It could be very easy, but I want them to mean something.

How did I get here? I think I’ve always been a music fan. My mom and dad like music, but they don’t love it. For me - music is like a drug. I think I get that from my uncle and my cousin (actually, my first cousin once removed - but in reality just my older brother).

I grew up in an America where rock was dead. Late 80’s and early 90’s. My cousin didn’t tell me what to listen to, but he would make me mix tapes (on cassette). I’d get stuff like The Clash, Huskey Du, Black Flag, REM, Game Theory, Guadalcanal Diary and on and on. He’d let me listen and then loop back and ask for more.

Clash hooked me early. I was born on January 14, 1977 - 2 weeks into the whole year zero story on punk. I come from a berry liberal family - but working class liberals. My grandfather was a honcho for the machinist union. I was going door to door with my mom and dad to hang lit for Mondale in 1984.

I really bought into the young idealistic vision of Joe as some sort of amazing visionary. Like he had all of the answers. He was my guru as I grew up...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

2 more posts!

Here’s the deal (and I’m downing a 6-pack of Red Stripe tonight and while I can drink - I get philosophical with every drink). As I grew up - I realized Joe wasn’t the man with the answers. I reallized that why I identified so much with him was because he was like me. He was the most human of rock stars. Joe talked a lot of BS, but that was what caught me. I realized he didn’t have all of the answers, but I realized he cared. He didn’t know why the world sucked...but he wanted to know and he wanted to use his talent to ask. That realization was really huge for me,

It allowed me to hear their music in a whole new way. Kind of made me free. Before that - it was all about the big statment songs...but suddenlly I was getting lost in tracks like Something About England.

Hell...I’m rambling...but I’m hitting 400 posts tonight!

What can I say about The Clash in the US?

Nobody knows them. People my generation might know Should I Stay or Casbah...but that is it. They might see something on a T-shirt.

I won’t push my musical tastes on my kids. I play what I love and hope that some rubs off on them.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Okay! Post #400!

I see most of you joined in 2008. I’m a newcomer (by a decade).

I’ve been a member of so many music forums. I joined and within a few weeks I was done. It’s like trying to join a closed group: you are not one of them - you are nothing.

I don’t get that from you all. I’ve already put my foot in m mouth a time or two (but it’s been okay).

I think you are all stuck with me. Sorry!

I’m flighty. I’ve been good about signing up for music groups and then bailing...but this feels like home!

I really do live off of Westway. So funny. I live in Greendale (which was a town that was created out of nothing during the Depression as a relief project). It was actually designed on English vllages, but the road that circles our village goes from Southway to Westway to Northway.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There you go! 400 posts since October! I still feel like a junior member...but hey - gotta start somewhere. Thank you all for being accepting! Just remember: Charlie Don’t Surf and if any of you get around to Milwaukee (great town) let’s have a drink or two!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 9:17pm
I have a Red Sox tattoo on my arm. My grandpa was a Sox fan. I always swore I’d get a tat if Boston and/or Milwaukee won the Series. I wept when they won it in 2004 and as I type this Fenway the Cat is sitting next to me. He’s getting old - but I literally found him the night they won the 2004 pennant. We went out and got trashed and as we were heading home we chanced upon this stray black kitten!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 9:57pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I have a Red Sox tattoo on my arm. My grandpa was a Sox fan. I always swore I’d get a tat if Boston and/or Milwaukee won the Series. I wept when they won it in 2004 and as I type this Fenway the Cat is sitting next to me. He’s getting old - but I literally found him the night they won the 2004 pennant. We went out and got trashed and as we were heading home we chanced upon this stray black kitten!
Pinky Higgins wept! :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Instant Karma got Pinky

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I missed the connection at first glance. I’d take Fenway the Black Cat to use his grave as a litter box.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 9:48pm
Okay! Post #400!

I see most of you joined in 2008. I’m a newcomer (by a decade).

I’ve been a member of so many music forums. I joined and within a few weeks I was done. It’s like trying to join a closed group: you are not one of them - you are nothing.

I don’t get that from you all. I’ve already put my foot in m mouth a time or two (but it’s been okay).

I think you are all stuck with me. Sorry!

I’m flighty. I’ve been good about signing up for music groups and then bailing...but this feels like home!

I really do live off of Westway. So funny. I live in Greendale (which was a town that was created out of nothing during the Depression as a relief project). It was actually designed on English vllages, but the road that circles our village goes from Southway to Westway to Northway.
It's good to have you on board mate, you've injected some life into the place with some good discussions. And funnily enough, I live about 100 yards from a street called Westway.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We are glad you have joined us!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

You're a good man, kid.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Erecting 400 posts must be tiring work especially for a kid. Well done mate!

It's cool having you around. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 1:25pm
Erecting 400 posts must be tiring work especially for a kid. Well done mate!

It's cool having you around. :approve:
No prescription required round here.