Request

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Request

Post by Mimi »

Can we get the file size for avatars a little bigger? Please.
Last edited by Mimi on 25 Jun 2008, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Request

Post by daredevil »

I think they allowable size for an avatar is bigger - 120 pixels.
It used to be 80 pixels?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Mimi wrote:Can we get the file size for avatars a little bigger? Please.
You can download programs that'll shrink a JPEG to the 125 x 125 max dimensions of the avatar and probably compress it to the 9.77 KB max file size. You'd just have to make sure the thing looked OK with the compression.

I use Paint.NET (free download...Google it) as my image editor, and it'll do the trick. There's probably also free software out there that'll just do a quick, straight conversion to the size you want.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I wish I could find the original picture I took this from. This avatar dates back to the dark days of 2003.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Rat Patrol wrote:
You can download programs that'll shrink a JPEG to the 125 x 125 max dimensions of the avatar and probably compress it to the 9.77 KB max file size. You'd just have to make sure the thing looked OK with the compression.

I use Paint.NET (free download...Google it) as my image editor, and it'll do the trick. There's probably also free software out there that'll just do a quick, straight conversion to the size you want.
I'll keep messing with my lesser version of Photoshop to see if I can scale it down more but for some reason it wasn't working. I'll keep playing and try paint.net if it doesn't obey me. Thanks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

I'll keep messing with my lesser version of Photoshop to see if I can scale it down more but for some reason it wasn't working. I'll keep playing and try paint.net if it doesn't obey me. Thanks.
Photoshop kept adding to the file size when I mucked about with it—even tho the internal info of the image said 5K or whatever, it would save it and come out as 15K or so. I ended up using Apple's free Preview to downgrade the quality enough to get under the file size requirement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote: Photoshop kept adding to the file size when I mucked about with it—even tho the internal info of the image said 5K or whatever, it would save it and come out as 15K or so. I ended up using Apple's free Preview to downgrade the quality enough to get under the file size requirement.
Exactly. It wouldn't let me go below 14 or 15K, whatever it is.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I use irfanview, also free. It does a good job rescaling as necessary.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:I use irfanview, also free. It does a good job rescaling as necessary.
It's only free because you wrote it, Nerdy McPocketprotectorandtapeontheglasses.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:I use irfanview, also free. It does a good job rescaling as necessary.
It's only free because you wrote it, Nerdy McPocketprotectorandtapeontheglasses.
I'm not nearly a productive enough nerd to have written a neat little program like that. I'm more of the lazy, useless nerd that just likes to play video games and watch Star Wars.

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

it's at 15kb now, which should be enough.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not nearly a productive enough nerd to have written a neat little program like that. I'm more of the lazy, useless nerd that just likes to play video games and watch Star Wars.
With tape on your X-Wing helmet.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:With tape on your X-Wing helmet.
I very literally just "laughed out loud"

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:With tape on your X-Wing helmet.
I very literally just "laughed out loud"
If a long worm of snot left your nostril, I may just retire for the day.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Inder wrote:it's at 15kb now, which should be enough.
That'll be good. Thank you!