Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 8:07pm
tepista wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 8:04pm
i go by Sauza on FB, but not like I'm I'm hiding, if someone asks my name i'll tell it, i just don't wanna advertise it. and Hooks, you'd better put the proper Simpson's quote up.
What am I missing? (I hope it's Poochie or Grimey related.)
Fuck. I let you down, man. :disshame:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I told you a fastball was coming and you were still looking slider.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You know I have trouble hitting breaking stuff, so I gotta cheat on slop counts.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 6:59pm
So do y'all stay in touch with people from high school? The last time I talked with anyone from my high school days was about six years ago, when an old friend from then tracked me down (mainly to brag, I think, that he's a millionaire now; he was a hard-working guy from a dirt-poor family, so I'm happy for him).
Yep definitely. I am still very close to my school mates plus the friends we picked up along the way. When I was home in July had a big night out all together plus all the girls we used to hang out with when we were about 14-18.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 9:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So do y'all stay in touch with people from high school? The last time I talked with anyone from my high school days was about six years ago, when an old friend from then tracked me down (mainly to brag, I think, that he's a millionaire now; he was a hard-working guy from a dirt-poor family, so I'm happy for him).
Yep definitely. I am still very close to my school mates plus the friends we picked up along the way. When I was home in July had a big night out all together plus all the girls we used to hang out with when we were about 14-18.
Same here, I have a group of 8-10 guys I keep up with from both college and high school. Sometimes a year or two will pass but we always keep up. We did a jamboree last year at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 10:23pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Same here, I have a group of 8-10 guys I keep up with from both college and high school. Sometimes a year or two will pass but we always keep up. We did a jamboree last year at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.
The tight five of us have been close since we were kids. One was a mate from Infant School (aged 4) and another I played rugby with as an under 8. The other 2 were friends of friends. The group expanded to about 20 over the years. I guess it helps that most live at or close to where we grew up.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I guess I'm just a miserable anti-social fucker.
I'm okay with it for the most part but worry that I could somehow pass this on to my kids. I honestly think it partially has to do with where I live. People here can be very friendly...to a point but its also me.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 10:58pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I guess I'm just a miserable anti-social fucker.
I'm okay with it for the most part but worry that I could somehow pass this on to my kids. I honestly think it partially has to do with where I live. People here can be very friendly...to a point but its also me.

People in the Midwest have been so friendly and nice which sends me into a spiral of sarcasm and mistrust.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My older siblings are all Boomers and they are all tight with those whom they went to high school. Reunions every ten years, visiting when travelling around the world. Same thing with relatives—cousins, uncles, aunts, all that. I get along with all my Xer cousins but none of us keep in touch really. If someone is in town, we may or may not get together for a meal and have a good time, but there's no sense of obligation like the Boomer cohort. Which applies between my siblings and I. We get along, but aren't especially close, and I suspect that once our mother dies I'll fall increasingly out of contact, whereas they'll stay close. Just not enough in common to maintain close ties.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nope. I've never even been to a HS reunion. My school years, especially the early one, weren't very good. If I'm supposed to stay chummy for nostalgia with the people who made fun of me then I think I'd rather not.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I went to three different high schools in three different states, so nope. Though I have become friends with a couple of people from my Jortsville high school after the fact. My best childhood friend (from Denver) actually passed away a couple of years ago, and she was the only one I kept in touch with regularly from there. I'm much closer to college friends.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I don't know if I have mentioned this recently ( :shifty: ), but I am going to see Depeche Mode on SUNDAY!!! So I was curious...is there perhaps a Depeche Mode message board similar to ours? Why yes, there is, and they are even more dysfunctional than we are!

http://forums.depechemode.com/phpbb/
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Matt Patrol is a hs friend. I have three close high school friends that I am still in regular touch with and a few more that I am in casual touch with.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have one high school friend who still lives in the area that I spend time with. We still go to concerts together and such, or I hang out with him and his kid. Other than that, I keep passive tabs on a few folks via Facebook but don't really keep in touch with anyone else from High School (although I enjoy the occasional random run-in). I have a few college friends I'm still tight with, but most of my friendships that I think are strongest are ones I formed post-college.

Addendum: Now that I think about it, I have an ex-gf from High School who is also in the area and who is still an occasional concert-buddy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 10:16am
I don't know if I have mentioned this recently ( :shifty: ), but I am going to see Depeche Mode on SUNDAY!!! So I was curious...is there perhaps a Depeche Mode message board similar to ours? Why yes, there is, and they are even more dysfunctional than we are!

http://forums.depechemode.com/phpbb/
Are you keen on DM boots? If so, and your pops up on Dime a Dozen, I can dl it for you.