The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
matedog wrote:I know the feeling well. Got laid off in February of 2009 and was trying to find work in the construction industry. I busted my ass off every day before flukishly getting a job six months later. I had just run out of unemployment benefits and was going to have to move...somewhere. Anyway, my only advice is be active every day in your hunt, but take time for yourself. You can't click refresh on the craigslist want ads all day long. I went out and was working at the food bank twice a week which made me feel less worthless.
He's right. You have to make the most of your time. In my case I didn't go to the food bank. I went to the bar at 10:30 AM, got lit, and beat up sleeping hobos.
99% of my unemployment went to rent and food, so I didn't make it to the bar much. If I did, I usually downed a two-buck Chuck beforehand so as to not buy much when I went out. Assaulting sleeping hobos costs $0 though, so that works.
You should have rolled a few hobos. All that begging leads to pockets full of cash.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
matedog wrote:I know the feeling well. Got laid off in February of 2009 and was trying to find work in the construction industry. I busted my ass off every day before flukishly getting a job six months later. I had just run out of unemployment benefits and was going to have to move...somewhere. Anyway, my only advice is be active every day in your hunt, but take time for yourself. You can't click refresh on the craigslist want ads all day long. I went out and was working at the food bank twice a week which made me feel less worthless.
He's right. You have to make the most of your time. In my case I didn't go to the food bank. I went to the bar at 10:30 AM, got lit, and beat up sleeping hobos.
99% of my unemployment went to rent and food, so I didn't make it to the bar much. If I did, I usually downed a two-buck Chuck beforehand so as to not buy much when I went out. Assaulting sleeping hobos costs $0 though, so that works.
You should have rolled a few hobos. All that begging leads to pockets full of cash.
:cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:You should have rolled a few hobos. All that begging leads to pockets full of cash.
It's true. I was watching Sean Hannity the other day, and he said that the so-called homeless are America's real 1%, ripping off taxpayers and scamming bleeding heart liberals. Then at the end of the day, they get free meals and free beds, while they spend all that money on drugs. Meanwhile, real Americans are working harder and barely getting by because of these bums.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

That's good advice. Thanks.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:You should have rolled a few hobos. All that begging leads to pockets full of cash.
It's true. I was watching Sean Hannity the other day, and he said that the so-called homeless are America's real 1%, ripping off taxpayers and scamming bleeding heart liberals. Then at the end of the day, they get free meals and free beds, while they spend all that money on drugs. Meanwhile, real Americans are working harder and barely getting by because of these bums.
Yeah they also stand on corners and at freeway exit ramps bumming for change then at the end of the day they get in their Mercedes parked around the corner and drive off to their mansions for champagne and caviar followed by all night coke fueled orgies. It's true this guy told me about it.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Things I wish companies would think about when potential employees apply for a job online:

1. If you demand a resume, that's all you get.

2. If you want more than just a resume, state it up front so we can be prepared to fill out a complete application.

3. Really, though, just pick one or the other. For retails jobs, an application makes sense. For something like a tech job, a resume/cover letter should be aces.

4. Quit with the personality tests. If you think people don't know how to work around those things, you should stay off the internet.

5. The process to apply shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Any others?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:Things I wish companies would think about when potential employees apply for a job online:

2. If you want more than just a resume, state it up front so we can be prepared to fill out a complete application.

3. Really, though, just pick one or the other. For retails jobs, an application makes sense. For something like a tech job, a resume/cover letter should be aces.

4. Quit with the personality tests. If you think people don't know how to work around those things, you should stay off the internet.

Any others?
Big one for me: specify whether "no calls, please" also means "no emails, please." I was always taught that employers appreciate somebody that follows up, but that seems to be less and less true these days.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Mimi wrote:Things I wish companies would think about when potential employees apply for a job online:

Any others?
Big one for me: specify whether "no calls, please" also means "no emails, please." I was always taught that employers appreciate somebody that follows up, but that seems to be less and less true these days.
All of these.

#2 is the fucking worst. Especially when I have JUST uploaded a resume, and they ask all the questions it would have answered. WHY DO YOU WANT BOTH?

Oh, and I spent nearly a half-hour on a job site filling out an application, and when I hit submit, it said the position was already filled. MAYBE SAY THAT UP FRONT?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Part of all those hoops, I suspect, is to make it easier to reject candidates out of hand. If a company gets, say, 500 applications, they don't want to read all 500. Anything that can be done to funnel the pile into a smaller and smaller number that gets actual attention is desirable. Making people jump thru extra hoops can separate the serious from non-serious or, like the Van Halen red M & M rider, seeing whether people have actually read the instructions is another way to shrink numbers. It doesn't mean the company actually gets the best candidates on the short list, only that it makes the hiring process less time-intensive.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Oh: another peeve. Every time I apply to enough jobs online, I get sent unsolicited emails from insurance companies for sales positions that I absolutely do not want and am not looking for. If I wanted a damn commission-based sales job, that would be what I was applying for.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Part of all those hoops, I suspect, is to make it easier to reject candidates out of hand. If a company gets, say, 500 applications, they don't want to read all 500. Anything that can be done to funnel the pile into a smaller and smaller number that gets actual attention is desirable. Making people jump thru extra hoops can separate the serious from non-serious or, like the Van Halen red M & M rider, seeing whether people have actually read the instructions is another way to shrink numbers. It doesn't mean the company actually gets the best candidates on the short list, only that it makes the hiring process less time-intensive.
But having worked in a hiring position before, it's actually fairly easy to reject a resume out of hand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Part of all those hoops, I suspect, is to make it easier to reject candidates out of hand. If a company gets, say, 500 applications, they don't want to read all 500. Anything that can be done to funnel the pile into a smaller and smaller number that gets actual attention is desirable. Making people jump thru extra hoops can separate the serious from non-serious or, like the Van Halen red M & M rider, seeing whether people have actually read the instructions is another way to shrink numbers. It doesn't mean the company actually gets the best candidates on the short list, only that it makes the hiring process less time-intensive.
But having worked in a hiring position before, it's actually fairly easy to reject a resume out of hand.
The point is, however, if they can eliminate a candidate without even looking at the resume, that's all the better from their point of view. It's about making the hiring process as time efficient as possible, an 0 seconds is always better than even 15 seconds. Just like SAT scores—cut off everyone below a certain number means never wasting time looking at them as individuals.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
The point is, however, if they can eliminate a candidate without even looking at the resume, that's all the better from their point of view. It's about making the hiring process as time efficient as possible, an 0 seconds is always better than even 15 seconds. Just like SAT scores—cut off everyone below a certain number means never wasting time looking at them as individuals.
I did once immediately dismiss a candidate because their resume was written in comic sans.

I think the most effective follow-up is a hand written thank you note. A pain in the ass and sycophantish, but effective.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I did once immediately dismiss a candidate because their resume was written in comic sans.
I'm glad I didn't get that job.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I'm glad I didn't get that job.
Hey, I was good to the people I supervised! I let them leave early and bought them lots of snacks!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy