IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2017

Post by Inder »

John Ashbery.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Holger Czukay of Can.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:02am
Holger Czukay of Can.
FUCK THIS
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

also fuck this:

Earl 'Wire' Lindo

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 1:13pm
also fuck this:

Earl 'Wire' Lindo

Damn!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:02am
Holger Czukay of Can.
Double damn!!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Len Wein, legendary comics writer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 12:49am
Oh wow. While I started reading Spider-man at the end of Gerry Conway's initial stint, it was Len Wein's time on the book that captured my imagination. Wein/Andru is still my personal Spider-man.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 6:12am
Kory wrote:
Oh wow. While I started reading Spider-man at the end of Gerry Conway's initial stint, it was Len Wein's time on the book that captured my imagination. Wein/Andru is still my personal Spider-man.
My connection with him is through X-Men (as a co-creator...obviously he didn't write much) and Swamp Thing, so this was a pretty big blow for me too. What are some Wein storylines on Spider-Man?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 12:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
My connection with him is through X-Men (as a co-creator...obviously he didn't write much) and Swamp Thing, so this was a pretty big blow for me too. What are some Wein storylines on Spider-Man?
Let's see: A not-dead Dr. Octopus came back, haunted by the ghost of Hammerhead, who tricks Ock into restoring him to life; Kingpin steals Spider-man's life force and transfers it to his comatose son, leaving Spider-man with just a spark of life left; Stegron vs. the Lizard; Will-o-the-Wisp's first appearance; return of the Molten Man; and the big story that ended his time, Harry Osborn's psychiatrist, Bart Hamilton, becomes the third Green Goblin. His two years aren't normally cited as a high point for the book—don't know why—but I look at those stories still as having a perfect rhythm of soap opera, tough-luck Peter Parker and fast-paced Spider-man adventures, with plenty of subplots bubbling to become main stories in the future. His writing rewarded paying attention to previous issues and he knew how to keep you anxious for the next. I know I'm biased in how I regard them because of some kind imprinting effect, and on some level I'm always evaluating superhero comics against the standard Wein set for me when I seven or eight. But Wein (and Gerry Conway before him) cultivated my imagination like nobody else.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 2:01pm
Kory wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 12:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Let's see: A not-dead Dr. Octopus came back, haunted by the ghost of Hammerhead, who tricks Ock into restoring him to life; Kingpin steals Spider-man's life force and transfers it to his comatose son, leaving Spider-man with just a spark of life left; Stegron vs. the Lizard; Will-o-the-Wisp's first appearance; return of the Molten Man; and the big story that ended his time, Harry Osborn's psychiatrist, Bart Hamilton, becomes the third Green Goblin. His two years aren't normally cited as a high point for the book—don't know why—but I look at those stories still as having a perfect rhythm of soap opera, tough-luck Peter Parker and fast-paced Spider-man adventures, with plenty of subplots bubbling to become main stories in the future. His writing rewarded paying attention to previous issues and he knew how to keep you anxious for the next. I know I'm biased in how I regard them because of some kind imprinting effect, and on some level I'm always evaluating superhero comics against the standard Wein set for me when I seven or eight. But Wein (and Gerry Conway before him) cultivated my imagination like nobody else.
Sounds like fun. I actually read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing before Wein's, but I loved it (Bernie Wrightson didn't hurt it, either). Great "horror" comics with nary a corny moment.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Edie Windsor, whose landmark Supreme Court case paved the way for marriage equality in the US. I met her a couple of years ago - she was a firecracker and probably the most adorable person who ever existed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/us/e ... .html?_r=0
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Billy Batts is dead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Holy crap, Grant Hart died: http://variety.com/2017/music/news/husk ... 202558122/

I had no idea he had cancer. :sad:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 7:24am
Holy crap, Grant Hart died: http://variety.com/2017/music/news/husk ... 202558122/

I had no idea he had cancer. :sad:
56 is way too young