MLB 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2017

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 7:11pm
I suspect Farrell will be gone (and probably Chili and maybe some other managerial staff), since it's easier to fire a manager than deep-six an expensive contract. And maybe he should be gone, I dunno. I'm not a hater, but also fine with a little mix-up. It'll be sort of weird that the second of back-to-back division titles could be the season that'll get him the axe, tho.
As a Yankee fan I obviously dont give a shit but why would you fire the manager who brought you two division titles in two years? I mean thry lost to a better team nobody would argue that. And who you going to replace him with Bobby Valentine 2.0?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 7:45pm
Flex wrote:
I suspect Farrell will be gone (and probably Chili and maybe some other managerial staff), since it's easier to fire a manager than deep-six an expensive contract. And maybe he should be gone, I dunno. I'm not a hater, but also fine with a little mix-up. It'll be sort of weird that the second of back-to-back division titles could be the season that'll get him the axe, tho.
As a Yankee fan I obviously dont give a shit but why would you fire the manager who brought you two division titles in two years? I mean thry lost to a better team nobody would argue that. And who you going to replace him with Bobby Valentine 2.0?
Farrell is perceived, not unfairly, as a mediocre tactician and that this means he's costing the team wins. Maybe. But if his players love playing for him—and as far as I know they do—does that generate some unknown number of wins? I just don't see an obvious argument for canning him given that there isn't a clear and better replacement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I guess Dusty Baker was tired of Joe Girardi being the new Dusty Baker.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 8:17pm
I guess Dusty Baker was tired of Joe Girardi being the new Dusty Baker.
This is the best thing I've read in ages.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Congratulations on getting Felix Penis from the Cubs, Tep. You'll enjoy him not being very good, because, as I already have, you can call him Felix Penis.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

We live to fight another day...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sabbathia says he's got the blubber of a 23-year old and he'll be ready to go.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Sabbathia says he's got the blubber of a 23-year old and he'll be ready to go.
Hopefully Girardi can keep himself in check.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wait, what's wrong with Jeff Garlin? And Bill Murray's brother was on Mad Men?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 9:16am
And Bill Murray's brother was on Mad Men?
Freddy Rumsen. The guy who, more than anyone, saw Peggy's ability before even she got it and helped Don put his life back together again after his Hershey's meltdown. He has that everyman shlub look but enough confidence to know that you don't have to be a bastard and a predator to be good at your work. Maybe it's telling that Freddy could only exist on the periphery of all those self-destructive characters.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 9:28am
JennyB wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 9:16am
And Bill Murray's brother was on Mad Men?
Freddy Rumsen. The guy who, more than anyone, saw Peggy's ability before even she got it and helped Don put his life back together again after his Hershey's meltdown. He has that everyman shlub look but enough confidence to know that you don't have to be a bastard and a predator to be good at your work. Maybe it's telling that Freddy could only exist on the periphery of all those self-destructive characters.
Wow. I can't believe I didn't put two and two together on that. I loved his character.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 8:11pm
revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 7:45pm
Flex wrote:
Farrell is perceived, not unfairly, as a mediocre tactician and that this means he's costing the team wins. Maybe. But if his players love playing for him—and as far as I know they do—does that generate some unknown number of wins? I just don't see an obvious argument for canning him given that there isn't a clear and better replacement.
I think there are a few of scenarios where he loses his job:

1. He actually did lose the clubhouse this season and/or there's in-house evidence that his management style resulted in across-the-board under-performance. We aren't really privy to this kind of info, so you just sort of have to guess that there was something there if he was let go. I guess there has been a little rumormongering that he lost the clubhouse, but equally several players have publicly supported him. So, who knows.

2. Sox F.O. is confident they can hire someone who's at least not worse than Farrell, and think there's some value in "shaking things up" by moving on from a guy who, again, has the salary that's easiest to absorb if you fire him. This isn't necessarily the most rational approach in the world, but it wouldn't exactly be malpractice.

3. The F.O. decided he wasn't to blame, per se, but that there are some major changes needed in the management structure of the team and they don't feel confident Farrell can oversee those changes. This seems like the most likely scenario where we might see Farrell canned, to me.

In any case, if they decide to let Farrell go I hope it's within the context of having a very well-vetted shortlist of good candidates to take the job and doesn't lead to a Bobby V type of hiring.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dusty Baker is the gift that keeps on giving.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:24am
Dusty Baker is the gift that keeps on giving.

Clearly he's ignoring that Jupiter's third moon is in the house of Gemini this month, too, which the Romans understood to benefit baby bears.

Honest question: Is there a manager with a better overall regular-season record who seems dumber?

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Farrell out. Not happy about it, not really sad about it, either. Just sorta...meh.