FOOTBALL!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: FOOTBALL!

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 7:00pm
revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 5:49pm
Has team USA learned how to flop properly if theres one thing ive learned watching mens soccer is that you need to know how to flop. Which leads into the horrible officiating that always shows up.

I'll stick with women's soccer its less maddening women dont seem to flop so much.

Soccer is a legit women's sport in the US, for men it takes a seat behind football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR, and perhaps some others..

Iceland has a population of 332,000 people. They had to qualify by beating Turkey (twice) Finland, Ukraine, Croatia.
USA failed to qualify because they lost to Trinidad and Tobago for who football is also not their national sport.
Hardly mitigation!!!
So what I can tell you is that USA team not making WC is a minor news story that most people will forget about tomorrow if they havent already assuming they were aware of it in the first place. Getting back to my earlier point soccer being a 6th place or more sport is not just in terms of attendance or overall popularity but also in terms of participation. The country's best atheletes play other sports.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The US, rightly or wrongly, will always care more about sports that are contained within its borders (and allowing a few Canadian teams) than international competition. Americans like winning at the Olympics and all that, but the Super Bowl and World Series and NBA Finals are way more important to the American sports fan than international soccer. Whatever their geopolitical status, Americans are still culturally isolationist.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 7:34pm
The US, rightly or wrongly, will always care more about sports that are contained within its borders (and allowing a few Canadian teams) than international competition. Americans like winning at the Olympics and all that, but the Super Bowl and World Series and NBA Finals are way more important to the American sports fan than international soccer. Whatever their geopolitical status, Americans are still culturally isolationist.
I wouldn't argue your point here, id not thought about it but yeah mostly true.

Also it isnt just international soccer that we dont care about, its soccer in general. How many soccer leagues have started and folded over the past 40 years, um approxiamately lot. Also minor league baseball and college football and basketball garner far more attention than professional soccer leagues in the US even with the likes of David Beckham and ... probably some other guys thst have come here in recent years.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 8:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Also it isnt just international soccer that we dont care about, its soccer in general. How many soccer leagues have started and folded over the past 40 years, um approxiamately lot. Also minor league baseball and college football and basketball garner far more attention than professional soccer leagues in the US even with the likes of David Beckham and ... probably some other guys thst have come here in recent years.
One thing that might change that is football(flag-hating kneelers) and brain injuries. In the next twenty years, a shift to football(kajagoogoo) could happen as parents steer their kids away and interest trickles up to the pro level. Or maybe baseball and basketball are the beneficiaries.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 9:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One thing that might change that is football(flag-hating kneelers) and brain injuries. In the next twenty years, a shift to football(kajagoogoo) could happen as parents steer their kids away and interest trickles up to the pro level. Or maybe baseball and basketball are the beneficiaries.
Yeah, the concussions could kill football in the long run. I honestly would have thought soccer would be bigger by now based on the soccer youth industry thst exists here but that srill hasnt come to fruition.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 9:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 9:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, the concussions could kill football in the long run. I honestly would have thought soccer would be bigger by now based on the soccer youth industry thst exists here but that srill hasnt come to fruition.
My guess is that the established sports just have to much of a hold on the imagination for soccer to make headway. Pro soccer needs to promote itself as a safer alternative to football over the next generation. Because there is an opening there.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:03am
lol, what a total fucking disgrace. It's like our soccer is aligning with the rest of how we comport ourselves on the world stage.

It's no disgrace to go out to Trinidad and Tobago. It must be pretty hard to beat two countries at once.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:16am
Flex wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:03am
lol, what a total fucking disgrace. It's like our soccer is aligning with the rest of how we comport ourselves on the world stage.

It's no disgrace to go out to Trinidad and Tobago. It must be pretty hard to beat one country an a jar of sauce at once.