IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Katrina was the moment when Steve became irredeemable in my eyes. During a discussion of the failure of public officials to help those devastated by the hurricane and its aftereffects, Steve announced that if anything government had done too much and that anyone suffering could only blame themselves because they should have gotten out in advance. Classic cold-hearted libertarianism on parade, utterly divorcing oneself from humanity and ignoring structural and social circumstances to imagine a perfect free market where people all have equal choice. Winners and losers are proven and no sympathy or aid should be shown the losers. Just as Jesus taught. :rolleyes:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

matedog wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 10:56am
What's the general consensus on Babs? Other than begating George and lesser of two evils Jeb.
If I had been tasked with writing her obituary, I would have mentioned quite prominently that she birthed a war criminal.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 2:04pm
Katrina was the moment when Steve became irredeemable in my eyes. During a discussion of the failure of public officials to help those devastated by the hurricane and its aftereffects, Steve announced that if anything government had done too much and that anyone suffering could only blame themselves because they should have gotten out in advance. Classic cold-hearted libertarianism on parade, utterly divorcing oneself from humanity and ignoring structural and social circumstances to imagine a perfect free market where people all have equal choice. Winners and losers are proven and no sympathy or aid should be shown the losers. Just as Jesus taught. :rolleyes:
I really loathe that viewpoint. It's crazy how prevalent it is in this country.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 12:50pm
revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 12:30pm
Almost everyone I’ve talked to says, ‘We’re going to move to Houston.’ What I’m hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them.
Was this said in the aftermath of Katrina? Yikes...
Yes it was.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the attitude that it's not my problem until it is. People are very selfish in this country. I wonder how many people in places like New Jersey complained about the people who needed help after Katrina and then they themselves needed help after Sandy. I guess another way of opening my statement is that for many people it's only a handout until they need it - because they've earned it. It really is crazy.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 5:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the attitude that it's not my problem until it is. People are very selfish in this country. I wonder how many people in places like New Jersey complained about the people who needed help after Katrina and then they themselves needed help after Sandy. I guess another way of opening my statement is that for many people it's only a handout until they need it - and then it's no longer a "handout" because they've earned it. It really is crazy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the attitude that it's not my problem until it is. People are very selfish in this country. I wonder how many people in places like New Jersey complained about the people who needed help after Katrina and then they themselves needed help after Sandy. I guess another way of opening my statement is that for many people it's only a handout until they need it - and then it's no longer a "handout" because they've earned it. It really is crazy.
Yup. Government waste involves helping people who don't deserve it—meaning people I don't identify with. But government should be there for upstanding people like me. Everyone hates big government until those cuts impact what they get out of it. There are, of course, respectable critiques of government, but most people approach it as a fat kid's birthday cake—more for me, none for you!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the attitude that it's not my problem until it is. People are very selfish in this country. I wonder how many people in places like New Jersey complained about the people who needed help after Katrina and then they themselves needed help after Sandy. I guess another way of opening my statement is that for many people it's only a handout until they need it - because they've earned it. It really is crazy.
It's the same issue with refugees. You can bet your life these fucks will be super pissed if another country won't take them in during our upcoming civil war or whatever. But SYRIANS?!?!?! Get outta town.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 5:28pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup. Government waste involves helping people who don't deserve it—meaning people I don't identify with. But government should be there for upstanding people like me. Everyone hates big government until those cuts impact what they get out of it. There are, of course, respectable critiques of government, but most people approach it as a fat kid's birthday cake—more for me, none for you!
Great quote - but also really sums it up...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Means nowt to anyone outside of England but RIP Dale Winton.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 2:08am
Barbara was only number three on the list of Bushes I wanted to see dead. I'm sure President Jeb will call for a national day of mourning.
Not so fast. . .

https://www.theonion.com/barbara-bush-p ... 1825355144

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 1:18am
Dave Berry is gateway humor for little kids, I think.
This is accurate. I read him voraciously from the ages of 11-15 and found him side-splitting...then lost all interest.

I'd like to think that his greatest contribution to society is subliminally first-time hitting some funny bone that piques one's interest in moving onto much better humor later with maturity. I mean...you have to outgrow him to evolve or else you become one of those people who still reads the dead-tree newspaper funnies pages every day unironically, but there's no shame in being the catalyst who leads to better things. Being "lightweight" is actually the very best thing in that case, because it sets the timing for the leap into deeper material.

I wish after Night Court ended that Anderson did a Harry The Hat sitcom with an ever-so-slightly dark edge rather than Dave. So much unexplored greatness in that Cheers bit character. I would've watched the shit out of that. Instead we got a decade-plus of Frasier. :meh:

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Rat Patrol wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 6:45am
Flex wrote:
Instead we got a decade-plus of Frasier. :meh:
But that dog was CUTE!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Spiff wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 8:57am
Rat Patrol wrote:
Flex wrote:
Instead we got a decade-plus of Frasier. :meh:
But that dog was CUTE!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Flex wrote:
This is accurate. I read him voraciously from the ages of 11-15 and found him side-splitting...then lost all interest.

I'd like to think that his greatest contribution to society is subliminally first-time hitting some funny bone that piques one's interest in moving onto much better humor later with maturity. I mean...you have to outgrow him to evolve or else you become one of those people who still reads the dead-tree newspaper funnies pages every day unironically, but there's no shame in being the catalyst who leads to better things. Being "lightweight" is actually the very best thing in that case, because it sets the timing for the leap into deeper material.

I wish after Night Court ended that Anderson did a Harry The Hat sitcom with an ever-so-slightly dark edge rather than Dave. So much unexplored greatness in that Cheers bit character. I would've watched the shit out of that. Instead we got a decade-plus of Frasier. :meh:
I co-sign every aspect of this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"