MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:22pm
Never seen this before: Brewer starter Miley gives up a lead-off walk in the bottom of the first … and gets pulled. Gotta figure that was the strategy all along, but weird.

edit: Ah, okay, apparently they've done this before. The ploy was to get the Dodgers to set their line-up for a lefty, then bring in the righty. That's, like, video game stuff.
Guess he's looking for any angle going up against Kershaw.
There's an old cliche that managers don't win games, they can only lose them by being too clever (see: LaRussa, T.), but when your bullpen is so good, it seems a decent move. Especially when you're burning Wade Miley rather than, like, a DeGrom.
"Bullpenning" is a SABR thing though. But yeah, it's based on not having Roger Clemens/Tom Glavine/Madison Buttgaurder/etc to lean on.

What I worry in this case is they just did it successfully 12 hours ago, now all the same guys are expected to have equally brilliant outings today?
That's just it. The reason why pitchers are in the bullpen is because they aren't as good as starters—which is to say they can be productive for multiple innings. And starters have the advantage of getting plenty of rest in-between to recharge the arm. Relying on bullpen arms, even pretty good ones, is about relying on guys who aren't as good. You can maximize the good, but only cover that up so much. Still, I really do like Counsell being inventive, understanding that playing the conventional strategy of riding your starter as long as possible is disadvantageous, and not doing it anyway because that's the way it's supposed to be done. The guy is trying to figure out how to minimize his team's weaknesses and maximize the strengths.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:31pm
The reason why pitchers are in the bullpen is because they aren't as good as starters
Not anymore, KC's whole run was shortening the game and leaning on the pen. It looks like teams are leaning to a more extreme version of that these days. And there's also the "don't let the lineup see the starter a 3rd time" thing, and certainly not a 4th time. Yeah, but guys like you are still rating pitchers on their W-L record, sigh. :shifty:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

All serious though, until relievers make a starters salary, I don't know who would shoot to be one, having a choice.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Milwaukee does have several guys in the bullpen who are probably future starters. Woodruff is one. Corbin Burnes is another one. They can go a decent amount of innings - which they're going to have to do.

With Gio going down...it will be interesting what Counsell does in G6 on Friday. It's going to be Chacin on short rest or the recently added Zach Davies. Davies was pretty bad early in the season - got hurt several times...but looked decent when he came back.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The reason why pitchers are in the bullpen is because they aren't as good as starters
Not anymore, KC's whole run was shortening the game and leaning on the pen. It looks like teams are leaning to a more extreme version of that these days. And there's also the "don't let the lineup see the starter a 3rd time" thing, and certainly not a 4th time. Yeah, but guys like you are still rating pitchers on their W-L record, sigh. :shifty:
Woodruff will be in the rotation next year. I think Burnes will also make the rotation next season.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:40pm
With Gio going down...it will be interesting what Counsell does in G6 on Friday. It's going to be Chacin on short rest or the recently added Zach Davies.
He could start Miley.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
All the stats I need are on a 1974 baseball card, nerdlinger.

But it's conceivable that some small-market, low-budget team will try to field a team without any proper starters given that they cost more than relievers. They could go to a seven or eight-man rotation of sorts, each guy going one time thru and then working a few batters in a game or two before his turn comes up again. It'd be about getting away from designated roles—starters, set-up guys, closers—and say that each guy should be ready to perform each job as needed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:40pm
With Gio going down...it will be interesting what Counsell does in G6 on Friday. It's going to be Chacin on short rest or the recently added Zach Davies.
He could start Miley.
They said in the broadcast today that Miley is Friday's starter.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:55pm

But it's conceivable that some small-market, low-budget team will try to field a team without any proper starters given that they cost more than relievers. They could go to a seven or eight-man rotation of sorts, each guy going one time thru and then working a few batters in a game or two before his turn comes up again. It'd be about getting away from designated roles—starters, set-up guys, closers—and say that each guy should be ready to perform each job as needed.
You're the next Jonah Hill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 6:55pm

You're the next Jonah Hill.
Brad Pitt. You meant to say I'm the next Brad Pitt.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Woodruff out for his 5th inning against the heart of the order. Fingers are crossed.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

You guys look screwed. Man that game last night was big.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 7:27pm
It was... sigh...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 7:27pm
They've relied on the bottom of the lineup to carry the top - and with the bottom also not producing...makes it hard to get anything going. Decision to leave Jeffress in on Saturday was huge. Milwaukee should have taken that game.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Funny how a team managed Dave Roberts has become, to me, massively unlikeable. I was neutral in last year's WS, but Machado's presence guarantees that if it's a rematch of last year's WS, I want the Astros to sweep, winning every game 20-0. It really is fated that Machado's going to sign with the Yankees …