MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sox are undefeated since Beaneater received a dowry. :cool:

Congrats to Mimi, Ratty, and revbob on a solid season and a fun and mostly tense playoff rematch.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 6:25am
Sox are undefeated since Beaneater received a dowry. :cool:

Congrats to Mimi, Ratty, and revbob on a solid season and a fun and mostly tense playoff rematch.
Congrats to all you Soxers. You have a smokin' team this year.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Only in New York...

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 9:37pm
P.S. Go Milwaukee
We're believing in Milwaukee right now!!!

If they pick up a win in Game 1 - that's 12 games in a row and a local restaurant chain called George Webb's (think like a Milwaukee version of Waffle House) has a longstanding promo (going back to when the Braves played in Milwaukee) that if the local team wins 12 games in a row - they'll give out free burgers to the entire city the following day. It's only happened once (1987) - but they are very close!

The other fun promo is that Miller and Coors had a bet of the NLDS and since Milwaukee won - Coors will buy legal patrons a Miller Lite at participating bars in Milwaukee during Game 1!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 10:21am
Only in New York...

Or Boston. Or Philadelphia. Or Chicago. Or, fuck it, wherever fans exist.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 10:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
Only in New York...

It's just more fun to say only in New York... ;)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Baseball trivia time. There is a retired player who played for Milwaukee, Houston, Los Angeles (Dodgers), and Boston. Who is he?

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Only in New York...

False. It's pizza in Boston.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Boddington wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 10:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Only in New York...

In Philly they throw batteries!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 10:41am
:lol: For those who don't know it:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another thought, and one that might offer a bit of a balm to our Yankees fans here: Chico might be on suicide watch right now (if there are people nearby who don't want him to commit suicide).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 9:30pm
Baseball is good, and my friend.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Two comments about last night:

1. Wendy got probably her first full-blown neurotic sox fan experience in the 9th with me repeatedly saying "of course this is how they'd blow it" hunched down on the floor.

2. The missus' remark on crowd shots at Le Toilette Nuevo: "that's an entire section of dudes who look exactly like the kind of guy I tried to stay away from in college".

Good series. I won't pretend I'm not super happy to beat the Yanks on their home turf.

'Stros-Sox should be an epic series. No shame if our season crashes out on this one, this has been one of the greatest Sox teams I've ever seen, and the season has been a great success in my book. That said, I firmly believe that we can beat Houston and head to another World Series. Go Sox.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:24am

1. Wendy got probably her first full-blown neurotic sox fan experience in the 9th with me repeatedly saying "of course this is how they'd blow it" hunched down on the floor.
I was irritated that Kimbrel kept trying to throw breaking stuff when he clearly didn't have it, but weirdly I didn't have that old sense of doom. It wasn't confidence that he'd succeed so much as a hope, I suppose, that it'd get done.
2. The missus' remark on crowd shots at Le Toilette Nuevo: "that's an entire section of dudes who look exactly like the kind of guy I tried to stay away from in college".
Which team were they rooting for, tho? :shifty:
Good series. I won't pretend I'm not super happy to beat the Yanks on their home turf.

'Stros-Sox should be an epic series. No shame if our season crashes out on this one, this has been one of the greatest Sox teams I've ever seen, and the season has been a great success in my book. That said, I firmly believe that we can beat Houston and head to another World Series. Go Sox.
I wouldn't have enjoyed watching the Yankees win, but if you lose to a team that won 100 or more games, even if you won 108, there's no shame in that. It amounts to around one extra win per month. Unless the ALCS goes 7 and the NLCS is a sweep, giving that side time to rest up, BOS-HOU is the unofficial World Series this year. I think HOU is a better team, top to bottom, but it's not overwhelmingly so. Hoping that HFA matter, as does Cora's familiarity with the other side.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:24am

My remark to my girlfriend during one of the crowd shots was that there are 2 kinds of Yankee fans. Those who will punch you in a bar or those who will stab you on the subway! :mrgreen: