MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2018

Post by revbob »

Rat Patrol wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 5:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 1:38pm
So do you use a CPAP gizmo? The Boss has sleep apnea but not serious enough to pursue any kind of relief. I've learned to just ignore it, occasionally giving her a bit of a kick to start breathing again if it seems to be taking too long.
It's diagnosed with a sleep test where they hook up electrodes and monitor your brain waves. Have >7 breathing events per hour confirmed by the brain waves, and you've got apnea. <7 events/hr...you don't. There's leeway for lifestyle & sleep hygiene changes to rein it in if you don't have it too severely. Mine is moderate-severe (~10/hr.) so I've had to use the mask for the last 7 years as nothing else would even come close. Thank you, immediate family for your shitty airway genes!
revbob wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 2:12pm
Wait are we saying sleep apnea surgery led to Napoli's offensive decline? For real? If so I'll avoid that for sure, cant afford to have my softball skills decline.
Pretty much. He was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, but didn't like the CPAP. So in the 2014 offseason he had an 8-hour surgery that broke his upper and lower jaw + chin and installed plates and screws in his head to reshape his airway. Long recovery, had to be on a liquid diet for almost half the offseason. He claims he felt fantastic after healing, but tanked in every offensive category and lost alarming bat speed in his Age 33 season. Was never the same...out of the game by 35 despite not having much of a DL history.

I know Boston writers were starting to poke around the issue of the surgery as culprit by midseason '15 when it was clear he wasn't turning it around, but then he got traded to Texas after the AS break so it didn't end up getting much play. In the absence of any injury history to explain why a slugging, high-walks 1B lost it that suddenly at a fairly early age for hitters of that profile to start losing it...it's tough to ignore the highly disfiguring elective surgery he opted to have. Have your very facial bones repositioned somewhere they were never meant to be and you might breathe better sleeping, but it's going to change your entire breathing patterns when awake and active...often not for the better. (To say nothing of what other side effects and health impacts later in life can come from having your face hastily rearranged.)
Holy crap, I never heard of such a thing. I just know people who have had tissues at the back of tg he throat removed.

I did a sleep study too and was told my condition wasn't bad and then proceeded to ask if I wanted surgery or cpap.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 5:07pm
It's diagnosed with a sleep test where they hook up electrodes and monitor your brain waves. Have >7 breathing events per hour confirmed by the brain waves, and you've got apnea. <7 events/hr...you don't. There's leeway for lifestyle & sleep hygiene changes to rein it in if you don't have it too severely. Mine is moderate-severe (~10/hr.) so I've had to use the mask for the last 7 years as nothing else would even come close. Thank you, immediate family for your shitty airway genes!
Yikes. Sorry that your unconscious time is spent looking like a cyber goth, but if it works, it works. Pretty sure the Boss is well under 7, at least based on when I've had insomnia and could informally monitor her breathing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I guess anything beats zero breathing events.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Harold Baines? Was he even ever the best player on his team?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 6:53am
Well he's no Claudell Washington that's for sure.

But seriously a pretty solid player as I recall but this does feel like a lowering of the bar.

What were his nerd numbers like?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 6:53am
Well he's no Claudell Washington that's for sure.

But seriously a pretty solid player as I recall but this does feel like a lowering of the bar.

What were his nerd numbers like?
You'd have to ask a nerd for that. :shifty:

The brief comparisons that I've read show that he's among the least deserving HoF selections. Like, Dale Murphy is a more justifiable pick in terms of stuff like WAR and comparisons to legit HoFers. And he doesn't have any of the superficial sexy things on his resume, like league MVP or championship teams. He had a nice career with a strong case for the Hall of Very Good, but yeesh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jays release Tulo, making him available to sit on any team's disabled list.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

"I will buff you up daily"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 10:02pm

Can we easily dismiss that he might be shortlisted now?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 7:13am
Inder wrote:

Chief if Staff.

Also it would finally get rid of any pretense that they give a shit about anything other than a money grab.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 8:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:

Chief if Staff.

Also it would finally get rid of any pretense that they give a shit about anything other than a money grab.
The typo was a subtle way of sucking up to President MichaelT.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 8:42am
revbob wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 8:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:

Chief if Staff.

The typo was a subtle way of sucking up to President MichaelT.
Getting up at 5am detracts from my ability to discern nuance.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:

i am here for this
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

This was my favorite part...
One thing is clear, though: Despite his fascination with Torah study, he has no plans to convert to Judaism