Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:37pm
Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:53pm
I have a hard time conceiving of a time when smoking anywhere and everywhere—airplanes, college classrooms, movie theatres—was acceptable. One of those cultural shifts that makes past convention wholly foreign.
I tell my daughter that my Doctor used to actually smoke while he was treating me as a child and she doesn't believe me. My main memory as a child is of smoke being everywhere. I still occasionally smoke myself but I'm glad society has put the right measures in place to safeguard people.
I remember the school staff room was just a fog.
Yeah, I actually got suspended for starting a petition to have a pupils' smoking room. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have a hard time conceiving of a time when smoking anywhere and everywhere—airplanes, college classrooms, movie theatres—was acceptable. One of those cultural shifts that makes past convention wholly foreign.
I tell my daughter that my Doctor used to actually smoke while he was treating me as a child and she doesn't believe me. My main memory as a child is of smoke being everywhere. I still occasionally smoke myself but I'm glad society has put the right measures in place to safeguard people.
Yeah, I actually got suspended for starting a petition to have a pupils' smoking room. :mrgreen:
We had one it was called the toilets. Used to make the prefects stand outside on guard.
I remember once we got to 5th year we worked out that if we just stood in a crowd on the grounds, from a distance they could not see who was and wasn’t smoking and they couldn’t get any closer so just gave up.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:48pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We had one it was called the toilets. Used to make the prefects stand outside on guard.
I remember once we got to 5th year we worked out that if we just stood in a crowd on the grounds, from a distance they could not see who was and wasn’t smoking and they couldn’t get any closer so just gave up.
We had the toilets but I wanted a plush room with leather seats, books and a drinks decanter.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My brother-in-law went to college in the late 60s, early 70s and can remember people drinking bottles of beer during lectures. It wasn't within the rules, mind you, but common enough that most profs didn't raise any objection. Then again, I had a few profs who I know for a fact lectured while loaded because I saw them at the campus pub beforehand. They were all old guys who could hide it well, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

We had the toilets but I wanted a plush room with leather seats, books and a drinks decanter.
Oh my god, memories of walking by the teacher’s room and it smelling like Denis Leary’s index finger.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 5:49pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Oh my god, memories of walking by the teacher’s room and it smelling like Denis Leary’s index finger.
Bill Hicks' butthole?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 5:56pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Bill Hicks' butthole?
touché.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

We had a smoking "lounge" (it was a cordoned off area outside) at my high school in Denver.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 9:25am
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

We had a smoking "lounge" (it was a cordoned off area outside) at my high school in Denver.
They closed those a few years before I got to HS, but there was a utility shed that everyone smoked behind. It was an obvious unwritten rule that the teachers turned a blind eye because no one I knew ever got busted there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 9:39am
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

They closed those a few years before I got to HS, but there was a utility shed that everyone smoked behind. It was an obvious unwritten rule that the teachers turned a blind eye because no one I knew ever got busted there.
Same thing at my junior high. Just outside the block of the school and in an alley facing the track and field oval, there was a garage that the smoking kids would use. It also doubled as the place for after-school fights. No idea who lived in that house but they either didn't give a shit or feared the kids who hung out there. In high school, the smokers just hung out at one of the back doors of the school (again, teachers just left them alone, mostly because they were regarded as a lost cause overall). Even tho I didn't smoke, my punk fandom granted me status to hang out with them.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 10:10am
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

Same thing at my junior high. Just outside the block of the school and in an alley facing the track and field oval, there was a garage that the smoking kids would use. It also doubled as the place for after-school fights. No idea who lived in that house but they either didn't give a shit or feared the kids who hung out there. In high school, the smokers just hung out at one of the back doors of the school (again, teachers just left them alone, mostly because they were regarded as a lost cause overall). Even tho I didn't smoke, my punk fandom granted me status to hang out with them.
My high school had a run down old theater the back stage of which could be accessed through a network of tiny hallways off of the Arts wing. We had a card table, ashtrays, and some comfy desk chairs. Omar and Ballero were two metalhead guys who operated their weed business out of there. It was a positive situation all around.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

When I was in college - they had this large lounge on the upper floor of the union that was set aside as the "smoker's" lounge. You could sit up there and puff away for hours while you worked. I've been back several times since I graduated (which was in 2002) and the whole area has been gutted and redone and now you can't smoke anywhere near the buildings. Guess I still find it a little nuts that even in the late 90's - it was considered okay to have large scale indoor smoking at a state college campus. They even had a little convenience store in the union where you could buy a pack of smokes and whatever else you wanted.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

When I was in high school - you could smoke - just not on school grounds. There was a sidewalk where we would all congregate. Technically, I think you had to be 18 - but I never recall anyone coming out to check.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

Oh yeah. I didn’t smoke then, but the punks were always there.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 11:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Oh yeah. I didn’t smoke then, but the punks were always there.
It was always the punks, metal heads, and art students.