NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: NFL 2018

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:10pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:05pm

I often refer back to a comment someone made on SoSH: Football is like stripping; I like watching it but I wouldn't want my kid to do it.

I have to believe that middle- and upper-class parents are less and less likely to let their kids risk scrambling their brains and compromising their future. So the labour pool is going to come from those who feel there isn't much of a gamble anyway. And, hey, economic disparity will be creating more of those families anyway. But what happens when someone successfully sues a school over their kid becoming fucked up? The costs of operating a football program is going to become more expensive, which will further shrink the labour pool (and with it a generation used to watching football, too). That's how the sport dies.
But what will we do with the taxpayer funded stadiums?
Oh right, Kenny Chesney.
Jimmy Buffett.
Dave Matthews Band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:21pm
matedog wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:11pm
Perhaps I'm dumbing it down waaaaay too much, but can't they create equipment/helmet that does a better job of minimizing brain trauma? Might be worth investing a tremendous amount of money into that as it would probably be less than they are going to have to pay for how they are fucking up their players.
I'm more intrigued by the counter-intuitive opposite—get rid of helmets, or return to something a lot more superficial. That'd change a lot of players' approach to the game, making them less inclined to go all out, turning themselves into missiles.
My dad - who is not a football fan - has always advocated getting rid of helmets. That is a very intriguing idea as it would totally change the way the game is played and would (I think) cut down on head injuries.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I know this is small sample and all but two of the biggest high schools near me had to merge their players to form one team because neither school had enough players on their own.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

So what are the odds that by the time we wake up Trump posts that Brees is a loser and Tom Brady is the best?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Last night's MNF game has to be one of the worst sporting events I can remember watching. Besides the mostly flat play (lol at whoever thought a NEP/BUF should be primetime viewing), the broadcast booth was beyond wretched, even by that genre's usual low standards. And there was something really bad about the camera angles and even, I think, the color saturation of the broadcast. Made me feel a little naseuous. Horrible.

I think that's the only ESPN programming I've had to watch in the last year or so though, and I don't think I need to tune into anything else with them anytime soon, which is a relief.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 11:31am
Last night's MNF game has to be one of the worst sporting events I can remember watching. Besides the mostly flat play (lol at whoever thought a NEP/BUF should be primetime viewing), the broadcast booth was beyond wretched, even by that genre's usual low standards. And there was something really bad about the camera angles and even, I think, the color saturation of the broadcast. Made me feel a little naseuous. Horrible.

I think that's the only ESPN programming I've had to watch in the last year or so though, and I don't think I need to tune into anything else with them anytime soon, which is a relief.
Subtext: Insulting the troops makes Flex mad!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 10:41pm
He's never been accused of being smart.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

LOL Pats.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 6:46pm
LOL Pats.
I know. I was at a pub and I’m in a pool where everyone bet on the Pats, I didn’t. I just needed them to not win by more than 7 1/2. I don’t give a fuck about the Pats. I laughed. I felt like I was at the Mets pub in Queens I used to go to.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Went to Rams v 49ers yesterday what a great day out!!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 11:59am
Cool! I know this is a longshot, but meet me in Long Beach for Throw Rag and the Bomboras tonight! (i do NOT believe the show is all ages)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Haha would do mate but I am now in Honolulu!!!
Went past your bar but only opens late and we were staying in Santa Monica!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
What was your impression of the game?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 2:48pm
101Walterton wrote:
What was your impression of the game?
As a newbie it was great to watch as got a bit of everything and lots of action / intercepts/ touchdowns As a contest it was over early as Rams dominated that first quarter. Not sure if they were good or 49ers awful?
Atmosphere died last quarter as game petered out and benches were used.
3 hours flew by loved it. Big big crowd, great atmosphere and would definitely be a fan if I lived in US.