HEY HEY HEY

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: HEY HEY HEY

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 7:16pm
I like the observation that the good and bad actions people take don't get added and subtracted like items on a ledger - all the good and ill we do sits together, neither canceling each other out. I think most of our moral orientations repulse from that idea, but that's the way it is.
I like that observation too.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 7:48pm
But he does deserve credit for expending political capital to push thru the civil rights bills and the War on Poverty program. Caro's bio is a really good example of presenting how complicated and conflicted historical assessment can be. His Johnson is someone to marvel at and recoil from, often at the same time.
Yeah, I think that's what I was getting at with the rest of my post.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 2:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 7:48pm
But he does deserve credit for expending political capital to push thru the civil rights bills and the War on Poverty program. Caro's bio is a really good example of presenting how complicated and conflicted historical assessment can be. His Johnson is someone to marvel at and recoil from, often at the same time.
Yeah, I think that's what I was getting at with the rest of my post.
I thought so, but there was pretty apparent snark in the paragon of virtue line, so I was addressing possible ambiguity.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

well, i think the dems who uncritically adore johnson are immoral fuckheads. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "if you just leave aside his foreign policy..." at a Dems meeting when discussing past presidential greats.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 12:47pm
well, i think the dems who uncritically adore johnson are immoral fuckheads. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "if you just leave aside his foreign policy..." at a Dems meeting when discussing past presidential greats.
Yeah. Uncritical praise of Johnson is asinine.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 12:47pm
Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

(And I'll readily praise LBJ's ability. The guy was the most skilled politician of the 20th c, someone who knew how to manipulate people and process with stunning clarity. But ideology and history have a momentum of their own that even he couldn't control, something in his arrogance he never fully understood. That's what makes Caro's study so engrossing—a guy who had the ability and seemingly the context to be among the greatest of presidents, but the ability turned against him as quickly as did the context.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft