35 Years Ago Today

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

35 Years Ago Today

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: 35 Years Ago Today

Post by Heston »

36 years ago even. The first series landed in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

That’s first clip I’ve watched since it first aired and holds up fairly well. But being honest I think I always wanted to like it more than I really did. Some bits of it were clever and funny, other bits rather less so.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 5:23pm
That’s first clip I’ve watched since it first aired and holds up fairly well. But being honest I think I always wanted to like it more than I really did. Some bits of it were clever and funny, other bits rather less so.
Loved it when I discovered it in the mid- to late-80s, but when I re-watched it a few years back, it felt rather clumsy and obvious. Cutting edge at the time, but, well, the passage of time tends to dull the effect.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Was the greatest thing in the world when I was 14, but yes, it has dated a bit. Still some tremendous moments though, the University Challenge and Summer Holiday episodes are still amazing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 5:20pm
36 years ago even. The first series landed in 1982.
Realised that straight after I posted it :mrgreen:

Just wanted to sneak some Madness through the IMCT embargo - don’t tell Marky :shifty:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

It did have its moments but while every comedy needs a straight guy, I always found Mike tedious beyond belief, a total momentum killer. I don’t think I ever laughed or even mildly sniggered at anything he said.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Buddy Holly hanging upside down in the attic still makes me smile.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 6:53pm
It did have its moments but while every comedy needs a straight guy, I always found Mike tedious beyond belief, a total momentum killer. I don’t think I ever laughed or even mildly sniggered at anything he said.
I know what you mean about Mike I was never sure if it was supposed to be funny or ironically funny.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 5:37pm
Was the greatest thing in the world when I was 14, but yes, it has dated a bit. Still some tremendous moments though, the University Challenge and Summer Holiday episodes are still amazing.
University Challenge is my favourite. Vivian kicking his own head down the railway track is up there with Del falling through the bar!!

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:08am
Heston wrote:
University Challenge is my favourite. Vivian kicking his own head down the railway track is up there with Del falling through the bar!!
Don't tell me you also did that during your lost decade.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 3:37am
101Walterton wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:08am
Heston wrote:
Don't tell me you also did that during your lost decade.
Probably, feels like it.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

“Do you dig graves? Yeah, they’re alright.” and that whole episode is one of my favourites. I think the Damned song might have been written specifically for that show? Not sure but didn’t hear a recorded version of it until much later.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I loved this show back in the day. Had a strange crush on Rik Mayall, may he rest in peace.