MLB 2024

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2024

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 7:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 10:33am
Today's Immaculate Grid asked for a Yankee who won a Gold Glove. Had to pick the greatest shortstop of all time. Re2pect. :shifty:
Dont know what Immaculate Grid is, but Mattingly comes to mind for me
https://www.immaculategrid.com/

It's a daily game based on baseball knowledge, filling in a grid based on two criteria. The less common your response, the better your score. I've got a terrible memory (and general baseball knowledge of that kind), so I usually can't even fill in the whole grid. If it asks for, say, someone who played for both the Mariners and the Twins, I'm fucked.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 7:58am
revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 7:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 10:33am
Today's Immaculate Grid asked for a Yankee who won a Gold Glove. Had to pick the greatest shortstop of all time. Re2pect. :shifty:
Dont know what Immaculate Grid is, but Mattingly comes to mind for me
https://www.immaculategrid.com/

It's a daily game based on baseball knowledge, filling in a grid based on two criteria. The less common your response, the better your score. I've got a terrible memory (and general baseball knowledge of that kind), so I usually can't even fill in the whole grid. If it asks for, say, someone who played for both the Mariners and the Twins, I'm fucked.
Yeah, my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited at this point.

Also I wasn't going to read all those rules

472 for today

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

. The less common your response, the better your score.
I got a 13 today! not my personal best,but close
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I didn't read all the rules and such, so is the goal to get a low score?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:46am
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I would say the main goal is to get 9/9, but the more obscure picks are get net you a lower score. Quick example, Someone was an Angel and a Yankee, Reggie Jackson is likely going to have a higher score based on everyone playing the grid who picked him, than say, Mickey Rivers or Luis Sojo.

Me and Monkey have been sharing results via text for about a year now. He usually beats me because somehow he knows every middle reliever in the whole fucking league, but we're not officially keeping score.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
If it asks for, say, someone who played for both the Mariners and the Twins, I'm fucked.
Nelson Cruz fits almost any square on any given day! :mrgreen:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:53am
revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:46am
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I would say the main goal is to get 9/9, but the more obscure picks are get net you a lower score. Quick example, Someone was an Angel and a Yankee, Reggie Jackson is likely going to have a higher score based on everyone playing the grid who picked him, than say, Mickey Rivers or Luis Sojo.

Me and Monkey have been sharing results via text for about a year now. He usually beats me because somehow he knows every middle reliever in the whole fucking league, but we're not officially keeping score.
My problems have been blank squares I guess because those penalize you 100 points I guess.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Knowledge of mediocre relievers who manage to bounce around the league for ten years on twelve teams is a vital skill.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 11:28am
tepista wrote:
Knowledge of mediocre relievers who manage to bounce around the league for ten years on twelve teams is a vital skill.
He plays fantasy, and I think "holds" is a stat, so there ya go. I quit fantasy many years ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 11:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 11:28am
tepista wrote:
He plays fantasy, and I think "holds" is a stat, so there ya go. I quit fantasy many years ago.
I've always got the impression that fantasy leagues are ugly competitive. Too many people whose lives depend on it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 11:58am

I've always got the impression that fantasy leagues are ugly competitive. Too many people whose lives depend on it.
On one hand it keeps you interested in teams and players that you might not be otherwise. On the other hand it focuses on individual rather than team, that's what I didnt like for baseball or football. I didnt like rooting for ONE GUY to perform vs Angels, but ultimately rooting for a win, that and the competitiveness, if you aren't managing every fucking day you can slip. fuck that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 12:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 11:58am

On one hand it keeps you interested in teams and players that you might not be otherwise. On the other hand it focuses on individual rather than team, that's what I didnt like for baseball or football. I didnt like rooting for ONE GUY to perform vs Angels, but ultimately rooting for a win, that and the competitiveness, if you aren't managing every fucking day you can slip. fuck that.
I like stuff that doesn't punish me for my laziness.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Im REALLY bad at who played for Texas Ranger and the Brewers type questions. Fuck if I know. When I was a kid and knew every baseball card I could do those but now...really hard most of the time

Also the fucking Nationals arent the Expos nor vice versa.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 9:26pm
Also the fucking Nationals arent the Expos nor vice versa.
You can pick Expos/Nationals. You can also do Senators and Twins as the same club.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I'm going to preface this remark with: I don't know anything about the guy so...

Anyway, the Yankees social media team on instagram has a major hard on for Juan Soto so it's move over Judge, you've been replaced. :lol: