Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:32pm
I'm an hour and a half into this thing and I don't know whether I'll be able to finish. It's dumb conspiracy theory, Secret Sun kind of stuff. All the key members of the Laurel Canyon scene—John Phillips, Jim Morrison, Frank Zappa, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, etc—were connected to military intelligence (either consciously or they were brainwashed—he hasn't said yet)—and all the various deaths over the years were apparently connected. There's an occult connection to it all, too. The takeaway is that the counterculture we know was devised by sinister government forces to preclude a genuine counterculture. All those songs were, apparently, open clues about their real evil intentions. There are no coincidences, there is no social because real people have no influence—it's all a big secret plan hiding in plain sight.
Oh no.
I, too, am upset that Doc is getting too close to the Truth. I enjoyed his company, but David Crosby's hit squad don't let normies know what's up for long.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm an hour and a half into this thing and I don't know whether I'll be able to finish. It's dumb conspiracy theory, Secret Sun kind of stuff. All the key members of the Laurel Canyon scene—John Phillips, Jim Morrison, Frank Zappa, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, etc—were connected to military intelligence (either consciously or they were brainwashed—he hasn't said yet)—and all the various deaths over the years were apparently connected. There's an occult connection to it all, too. The takeaway is that the counterculture we know was devised by sinister government forces to preclude a genuine counterculture. All those songs were, apparently, open clues about their real evil intentions. There are no coincidences, there is no social because real people have no influence—it's all a big secret plan hiding in plain sight.
Oh no.
I, too, am upset that Doc is getting too close to the Truth. I enjoyed his company, but David Crosby's hit squad don't let normies know what's up for long.
You never enjoyed my company. :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh no.
There might be some truth to this. You should see how he goes after people on Twitter. :shifty: :twitch:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yup, I've kicked to the curb that dumb conspiracy book and moved on to this:

Read this probably 25 years ago. It's popular narrative history, but I recall it being enjoyable enough.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Farewell, My Lovely - Raymond Chandler. Audiobook. That Marlowe's up to his old tricks. Excellent example of hardboiled detective fiction. It's all here.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:44am
Farewell, My Lovely - Raymond Chandler. Audiobook. That Marlowe's up to his old tricks. Excellent example of hardboiled detective fiction. It's all here.
I'd have a hard time relating the plot to any Marlowe caper, but I love 'em all. It's writing that can just be savoured in the moment, even tho I quickly forget what I was just reading/listening to.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:36am
Silent Majority wrote:
I'd have a hard time relating the plot to any Marlowe caper, but I love 'em all. It's writing that can just be savoured in the moment, even tho I quickly forget what I was just reading/listening to.
The plot to this one hung together far better than the previous two I've read. It was actually interesting, as opposed to a delivery system for great scenes.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm (re-)reading Jim DeRogatis' bio of Lester Bangs for possible inclusion in my class this fall—partly to discuss rock critics but also about under what circumstances biography can be considered history*—and laughed at this passage:
Once he placed a three-way call between short-tempered critics Ed Ward and Robert Christgau, listening in while the two yelled at each other about who called whom and why.
*Answer: Rarely, because biographers usually do a piss-poor job of historicizing their subject, including DeRogatis.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:36am
Silent Majority wrote:
The plot to this one hung together far better than the previous two I've read. It was actually interesting, as opposed to a delivery system for great scenes.
I love Chandler, but if you put a gun to my head I couldn’t tell you the plot of anything of his. It’s so secondary to the experience of reading Chandler’s prose.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started a new audiobook today:
Short stories from a modern master of psychological, Twilight Zone-ish horror.

Tub book:
Read this maybe fifteen years ago but I wanted a short novel while I wait for a book to be delivered. I have pretty much all of Thorne's novels even tho I've never been that in love with him. End up getting most of them quite cheaply and felt obliged to keep going. This one is somewhat of a Hitchcockian noir about a guy who is encouraged to describe to a stranger his dream girl, who then shows up, but there are strings attached.

Bedtime book:
Read this for my comps seven years ago and wanted to revisit it at a less-rushed pace, especially as I've been thinking a bit about the Lyrical Left of the late Progressive Era.

Also finished re-reading this:
I'm always keen to mix-up my syllabus readings and decided to give this one a spin. Half set in San Fran, half in Vietnam, it considers how rock music was used to promote countercultural values and their limitations. It's not exactly a page turner—six case studies heavy on analysis rather than narrative—but I think I'll assign it this fall as a way of talking about rock's potential for radical social politics and why it failed (hint: capitalism).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tub book starting today:
I can certainly critique RFK on many fronts, not least of which the arrogant, militaristic liberal one, but I've always been impressed and intrigued by his capacity to seek to re-evaluate his views and his empathy toward the less fortunate. Whatever his ideological blinders, he's always struck me as one of the most humanist major figures in American 20th c politics, someone who saw championing the poor and marginalized as a moral duty. Most of the stuff I've read about him is either hagiographic biographies or accounts of his short presidential run, so I'm hopeful that this is something more analytical.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I happen to be in the middle of Roth's I Married a Communist, which is quite good. Having been in the middle of one of his ruminations on mortality would have been too much for me right now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Going to start reading this today for possible inclusion in my rock class.

Also:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Going to start reading this today for possible inclusion in my rock class.

Also:

edit: Perhaps I'm just in the dark on this, but Richard Berry lifted the basics for "Louie Louie" from this.