Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm reading Lonely Boy by Steve Jones and it is outrageously entertaining.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 2:30pm
There's a very endearing humility to it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I also quite liked it.

I just finished that Gang of Four book, which I thought was really good, though I started getting confused by the amount of times the author would let things drop. He'd say something like "Later, Jon King would blah blah blah," but when the year in question came around, he wouldn't address it.

Currently on this fellow, which is super entertaining:

And also this, which I'm still warming to:

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bedtime reading:

A crime novel that takes place in 1946,1986, and 2014 in Boston (which means the Red Sox are part of the scenery just because). So far, a lot of teasing, but I'm still reading.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

On Anarchism - Noam Chomsky. Re-read for a book club meeting I wasn't able to get to. I'd previously thought of this as an Occupy-related cashgrab compilation, but it turns out to be a very fine bibliography if you just read a book on everybody quoted. My favourite parts are the transcripts of interviews with him. The essays and speeches leave me cold in comparison.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 2:06am
On Anarchism - Noam Chomsky. Re-read for a book club meeting I wasn't able to get to. I'd previously thought of this as an Occupy-related cashgrab compilation, but it turns out to be a very fine bibliography if you just read a book on everybody quoted. My favourite parts are the transcripts of interviews with him. The essays and speeches leave me cold in comparison.
I've come to appreciate the interview format with Chomsky quite a bit. The format lets a bit more of his personality and humor come out, essential since he can be so dry, and the interviewer can push him to expand here and there where in his speeches and essays he can just blow by stuff that merits more consideration.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Look upon my bath, ye Hooky, and despair.
IMG_20181006_163306.jpg

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 2:44pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Haven’t read it yet but watched a lot of promo interviews he did for it. For a fucked up guy who had a fucked up youth he seems to have found a good place for himself and very honest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 4:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Haven’t read it yet but watched a lot of promo interviews he did for it. For a fucked up guy who had a fucked up youth he seems to have found a good place for himself and very honest.
A friend of mine who is a drug counselor saw an interview with him when he was promoting the book and she said he's got the demeanour of a former user who has come to accept his character. The modesty and honesty, the lack of preachiness.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 4:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 4:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
A friend of mine who is a drug counselor saw an interview with him when he was promoting the book and she said he's got the demeanour of a former user who has come to accept his character. The modesty and honesty, the lack of preachiness.
Yes he knows exactly what his demons are and it isn’t just drugs. He obviously had a sex addiction and as a result he chooses to live alone.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Aha I knew you would eventually. After saying you would give it a miss when I first posted up about it. Steve is brutally honest about his dishonesty and dirty deeds.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 6:05pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Aha I knew you would eventually. After saying you would give it a miss when I first posted up about it. Steve is brutally honest about his dishonesty and dirty deeds.
As far as I was concerned, I had read probably a dozen books on the Pistols so had no need to rake over the story again. Plus anything to do with child abuse fucks me up (full disclosure:I flicked past Steve's description of the sex stuff from his childhood.)

But I was crying out for an easy read with low stakes and I like Jonesy. Glad I have. I'm interested in his post-Winterland life. A fresh perspective on an old story makes it almost new. I like the conversational style and his non judgemental self awareness. Now my nerdy completist side won't be soothed till I've read Matlock's stupid looking bloody book. At least

A) There are fewer Sex Pistols than American presidents

B) Paul Cook will never write an autobiography, which is a dispassionate list of all the rooms he's played the drums in and 1970s football matches he attended.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 2:43am
Now my nerdy completist side won't be soothed till I've read Matlock's stupid looking bloody book.
I've read it but it made very little impression on my memory. Pretty bland stuff, like the recollections of a minor regional civil servant.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 6:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
Now my nerdy completist side won't be soothed till I've read Matlock's stupid looking bloody book.
I've read it but it made very little impression on my memory. Pretty bland stuff, like the recollections of a minor regional civil servant.
Pretty much what I'd have guessed. My local library in Streatham had it when I was a teenager, and I let it alone for that reason as well as because I was an insane Lydon partisan at the time.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 6:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
I liked Glen's book but then I read it the day it was released and he was the first Pistol to get a book out (1990). It's obviously only a brief part of the Pistols story and goes for facts over sensationalism but Glen was there from the start and the book has some early detail not mentioned in Rottens : No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs. I'm always interested in the early days of the Pistols before the rot set in. Some of Rottens claims in his book are false like Glen going back in the studio after he left to help out on Bollocks.

Re : Silent Majority and Steve's book and the child abuse/sex stuff : Yep it's all mostly unpleasant but it's integral to what made Steve, Steve.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia