Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Just picked this up from the local shop today and already halfway through because it's ridiculously addictive. Fugazi fans on the board will be overjoyed to have this book, a) because it adds documentation to a severely under-documented band, and b) its information is sourced mainly from direct interviews with the band, all four in the same room for the most part. Some great history and insight so far. It would be great to have a book this size for each album.

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:22pm
Just picked this up from the local shop today and already halfway through because it's ridiculously addictive. Fugazi fans on the board will be overjoyed to have this book, a) because it adds documentation to a severely under-documented band, and b) its information is sourced mainly from direct interviews with the band, all four in the same room for the most part. Some great history and insight so far. It would be great to have a book this size for each album.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg
I read that one straight through on a plane trip earlier this summer, totally essential reading. Substantively deepened my appreciation of the band and the record, which is always good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 9:32pm
Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:22pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg
I read that one straight through on a plane trip earlier this summer, totally essential reading. Substantively deepened my appreciation of the band and the record, which is always good.
What are your thoughts on the Instrument doc?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The History of the Russian Revolution: Vol. 2 - The Attempted Counter Revolution - Leon Trotsky. All second act, only picks up near the end.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Nye: The Political Life by Nick Thomas Symonds. A biography of the dude I grew to greatly respect more as I learnt more about him. From challenging Churchill's conduct as WW2 raged to battling to get the NHS into position, to facing down the inherent conservatism in the Labour Party. Boisterous big headed political brawler. Good book.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've got about 45 mins left in the audio version of King's The Outsider. Very lacklustre, by-the-numbers King. He engages in some inadvertent(?) self-criticism in having a character rave about early Kubrick, stating that an artist's best work is early in their career when they're risk takers and generally more adventurous. As well, the narrator made this a chore by his reading of a character who has some emotional problems or perhaps is mildly autistic. He has her speak like a bad sci-fi robot whose speech capabilities are failing. So she talks flatly and in alternating pauses and quick speech. It's … an … irritating … cadencethatmakesyou … want … to … kill … thecharacter. King also makes her into a bit of a "magical Negro" figure. King has also developed an annoying stylistic tic in the past decade where he thinks everyone speaks in their own hip lingo and metaphor. No one is capable of just conversing without making reference to literature or film. It's just bingo bango bongo, driving like the guys in the Fast and Furious movies.

Tomorrow I'll begin this:

A student did a review of it last year and I was interested enough to hunt this down (tho not enough to bump it up the queue with any speed).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New tub book:
Some months ago I came across a claim that this novel, written by someone who was there, was one of the best accounts of the early L.A. punk scene. Well, okay, why not?

New bedtime book:
My former supervisor has been raving about this as providing some kind of hope in the current political environment and urged me to read it. Again, well, okay, why not? (Still she's a liberal, so our differing hopes and perspectives might make this less inspirational for me.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Leonardo Da Vinci - Walter Isaacson. Audio book, wonderfully read by Alfred Molina. A lovely biography of a talented fella. I like Isaacson's prose. I had previously enjoyed his book on Benjamin Franklin and will probably do his one on Einstein, but not never his famous one about Steve Jobs, because fuck knowing any more about that tool. Jobs is brought up, jarringly, at many a point as a comparison genius. The book is good otherwise at taking you into the time that Da Vinci lived in and discussing his work.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 2:11pm
Leonardo Da Vinci - Walter Isaacson. Audio book, wonderfully read by Alfred Molina. A lovely biography of a talented fella. I like Isaacson's prose. I had previously enjoyed his book on Benjamin Franklin and will probably do his one on Einstein, but not never his famous one about Steve Jobs, because fuck knowing any more about that tool. Jobs is brought up, jarringly, at many a point as a comparison genius. The book is good otherwise at taking you into the time that Da Vinci lived in and discussing his work.
Does it reveal the secret of the Holy Grail?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 2:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It was the pubescent boys Leonardo fucked along the way.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 2:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It was the pubescent boys Leonardo fucked along the way.
Hmmm, a long Catholic tradition then.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

The Establishment - And How They Get Away With It by Owen "Juice" Jones. Audiobook. Jones, the most public face of the acceptable left in the UK, has done some valuable work here. I found the examination of the relationship between the various branches of hard neoliberalism an education. It's a fine polemic and a decent argument for social democracy.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New audiobook
I've seen the movie, of course, but it's been so long I barely remember it. But I came across this and decided to give it a spin. Only a few chapters in so far, but it's super breezy writing.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 1:07pm
New audiobook
I've seen the movie, of course, but it's been so long I barely remember it. But I came across this and decided to give it a spin. Only a few chapters in so far, but it's super breezy writing.
How Chevy Chase is the character?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Nomad - Alan Partridge. Audiobook, read by Steve Coogan as the author. I read the first Partridge book a few Christmases ago and found it pretty good as those tie in books go. This feels more like a cash in. It's a walking tour that Alan does to try and get a TV series. As people who have seen his film would know, you have to parcel this character out into thirty minute portions, so that's how I listened to it. A cheerful waste of time with two laugh out loud moments.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/