Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Trying to finish my dissertation, so reading these days is mostly 1000-year-old Chinese manuscripts and some academic works about Buddhism, cosmology, Chinese religions, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to carve out time soon for some pleasure reading. I have a couple biographies/autobiographies on my list (Mike Scott's Adventures of a Waterboy or whatever the title is, a new Lou Reed one, new book on Astral Weeks and the '68 Boston scene more generally). On my nightstand currently (from when I had a little more downtime) is a new book by my friend. Looking forward to finishing it...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 2:11pm
Trying to finish my dissertation, so reading these days is mostly 1000-year-old Chinese manuscripts and some academic works about Buddhism, cosmology, Chinese religions, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to carve out time soon for some pleasure reading. I have a couple biographies/autobiographies on my list (Mike Scott's Adventures of a Waterboy or whatever the title is, a new Lou Reed one, new book on Astral Weeks and the '68 Boston scene more generally). On my nightstand currently (from when I had a little more downtime) is a new book by my friend. Looking forward to finishing it...
I go nuts if I don't have time for personal reading. Being in school was very stressful for that reason particularly.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 4:10pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 2:11pm
I go nuts if I don't have time for personal reading. Being in school was very stressful for that reason particularly.
Haha well, I think I crossed that bridge some time ago... :)

But really, thankfully I do enjoy what I work on, but at the end of the day lately my eyes are toast.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:38am
Look upon my bath, ye Hooky, and despair.

IMG_20181006_163306.jpg
Just saw this. That's way more white-collar than my set up. It's just me and a book, like factory work. None of those bath boards like Wall Street traders use.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:08pm
Silent Majority wrote:

IMG_20181006_163306.jpg
Just saw this. That's way more white-collar than my set up. It's just me and a book, like factory work. None of those bath boards like Wall Street traders use.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 7:36pm
New tub book:
I still have a romantic blind spot for Robert Kennedy. I recognize any number of disagreements/flaws—e.g., liberal, American interventionist, Cold Warrior—but in the last several years of his life, especially culminating in his brief presidential campaign, his fundamental humanism and moralism, his championing of the many groups that make up the underclass, and his deep belief that people can actually be better make him the only major political figure of postwar America that I genuinely respect and admire. A guy born to privilege who, in his gut, identified with the marginalized and was genuinely angry about their exclusion. To me, JFK's assassination wasn't the watershed moment; RFK's was. It all goes to fuck after him and that's no coincidence.
Finished it up this morning. It's rather concentrated political history that's big on policies and hearings and community meetings. Not the stuff that especially charges my imagination, but that's on me, not the author. Still, he gets across quite well that what RFK offered was a communitarian version of liberalism, and in that he was able to appeal to more conservative people. And, frankly, it's that emphasis on community rather than the individual, that appeals to me. Our politics is dominated by appeal to individual self-interest, which has proven to be a sprint to cynicism and fuck-you-ism from the left, right, and centre. As well, I'm always impressed by RFK's identification with the people who have been excluded from the good life. There's a moment where he explains to a black boxer showing him around a ghetto that these people have proven to him that his life of privilege was not real. We can critique that from the angle of white privilege and all, but that diminishes the fact that there was someone of privilege who chose to invest his convenience to advocating for those without a voice, even tho it made little sense in a mercenary political way. When he lost the Oregon primary in 1968, RFK admitted to an aide that he didn't do well with people who didn't have problems. That said, his belief/faith that he could induce private interests via tax breaks to invest in ghettos and allow those residents to pull themselves up reflects the naive liberal belief that capitalism can be steered to not be vampiric. He was a liberal and whatever the void of what ifs he left, that was a blind spot that was always going to hinder. Still, better than Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump. I'm all for a crusader on behalf of the excluded, even if she/he's flawed.

Starting tomorrow:
My Beatle's guy's book on some kind of illegal production of Jesus Christ, Superstar. Some books you buy for the subject matter, some you buy for the author. This is the latter, tho I'm a bit wary going in.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:08pm
Silent Majority wrote:

IMG_20181006_163306.jpg
Look at that fucking prince of North Hestonshire.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Read this in the tub, Hooks

P.S. It nearly killed 'em.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:42pm

:lol: There will never be a better joke.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:

Orders are all backed up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:

does "fistula" mean what I think it does?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:56pm
tepista wrote:

does "fistula" mean what I think it does?
No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Unfortunately.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:51pm
tepista wrote:

I'm sure they could work something out.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:

IMG_20181006_163306.jpg
I like the fact you can drink beer and have an eye lash at the same time :approve:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 9:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:51pm
tepista wrote:

I'm sure they could work something out.
You only get a free book not a free pencil.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia