Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Hari. Audiobook. I remember seeing every slim, good looking middle class twenty something guy in black glasses on every train reading this and knew I'd basically enjoy the stupid looking book. It's pretty good in the prehistory stuff, in the areas I'm least informed in, but smug, reductionist and elitist elsewhere. I like his theory that we all started working a lot harder as we moved from foraging to farming. I'm also impressed with the arrogant hubris of the project. Giving a history of the human race was bound to reveal the writer's pretty conventional biases when it came down to what to put in and what to leave out.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 4:56pm
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Hari. Audiobook. I remember seeing every slim, good looking middle class twenty something guy in black glasses on every train reading this and knew I'd basically enjoy the stupid looking book. It's pretty good in the prehistory stuff, in the areas I'm least informed in, but smug, reductionist and elitist elsewhere. I like his theory that we all started working a lot harder as we moved from foraging to farming. I'm also impressed with the arrogant hubris of the project. Giving a history of the human race was bound to reveal the writer's pretty conventional biases when it came down to what to put in and what to leave out.
Have you ever read Daniel Quinn's Ishmael, a novel that questions what Quinn regards as the myth of civilization? It's, fundamentally, an argument hostile to progress (that is, ever-expanding material acquisition) and valourizes a more "primitive" lifestyle.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 5:27pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Have you ever read Daniel Quinn's Ishmael, a novel that questions what Quinn regards as the myth of civilization? It's, fundamentally, an argument hostile to progress (that is, ever-expanding material acquisition) and valourizes a more "primitive" lifestyle.
No, but it sounds up my boulevard.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, I suspect you'd find the critique pretty nutritious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 5:52pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I read it back in '01 and many years later, I recall that I found some parallels when I started reading Ernest Becker's work, strangely enough.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 9:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I read it back in '01 and many years later, I recall that I found some parallels when I started reading Ernest Becker's work, strangely enough.
I don't know him. Can you specify or point to particular works?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
Everyone is raving about this book, but I trust your assessment more. Now I'm glad I won't have to read it and I can go back to my trashy mysteries.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

JennyB wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 10:32am
Silent Majority wrote:
Everyone is raving about this book, but I trust your assessment more. Now I'm glad I won't have to read it and I can go back to my trashy mysteries.
The Beastie Boys book is far more fulfilling.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 11:48am
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
For sure.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 9:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Denial of Death is the famous one, though Escape from Evil is where I saw the parallels. I don't think you'd be interested though—he's very Freudian.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 9:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

The Denial of Death is the famous one, though Escape from Evil is where I saw the parallels. I don't think you'd be interested though—he's very Freudian.
I'll make a note of the titles, but, yeah, doesn't sound like it's really up my alley.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

JennyB wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 2:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
For sure.
I loved the Beastie Boys book. As writers, they're good musicians but the passion and the story and the growth that their music career took on is all in there and their obvious love of Yauch is a highlight. I'm on a real early hip hop kick now.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 6:08am
JennyB wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 2:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
For sure.
I loved the Beastie Boys book. As writers, they're good musicians but the passion and the story and the growth that their music career took on is all in there and their obvious love of Yauch is a highlight. I'm on a real early hip hop kick now.
It was truly heartwarming. I'm getting the little guy into the BBs now. He keeps asking me which ones are from Brooklyn.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Millard Fillmore - Paul Finkelman. Paul Finkelman's book sings with a breezy contempt for Fillmore, comparing him with Lincoln so as not to excuse Millard's bigotry as "of its time."Just a book built on the case that this racist weakling was a piece of shit. Now straight onto a book about Franklin Pierce.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 6:05am
Millard Fillmore - Paul Finkelman. Paul Finkelman's book sings with a breezy contempt for Fillmore, comparing him with Lincoln so as not to excuse Millard's bigotry as "of its time."Just a book built on the case that this racist weakling was a piece of shit. Now straight onto a book about Franklin Pierce.
The truly insane part of your project is well underway. :lol: