IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 12:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 11:40am
Let's review today's bike ride:
1) I got caught in a sudden downpour that the weather radar said wasn't going to happen.
2) I got a flat tire after the downpour ended, leading to a 35 min walk home.
3) My new iPod armband started to rip, meaning I have some sewing to do (for those who don't recall, I have no sewing skills).
4) My headphones (not the crappy ones I just received) seem to have died in the rain, so I have to go and, like, pay for real ones now.

In sum, this is not what Doug Ford promised me would be my life.
Seems its tough being white in Canada too.
I blame multiculturalism, political correctness, and relativism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 12:41pm
revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 12:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 11:40am
Let's review today's bike ride:
1) I got caught in a sudden downpour that the weather radar said wasn't going to happen.
2) I got a flat tire after the downpour ended, leading to a 35 min walk home.
3) My new iPod armband started to rip, meaning I have some sewing to do (for those who don't recall, I have no sewing skills).
4) My headphones (not the crappy ones I just received) seem to have died in the rain, so I have to go and, like, pay for real ones now.

In sum, this is not what Doug Ford promised me would be my life.
Seems its tough being white in Canada too.
I blame multiculturalism, political correctness, and relativism.
Yeah first world problems are real!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh, 5) My last replacement tube already had a hole in it. So I have to head over to a bike shop later to get new tubes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, I'm officially starting my indoor riding season today. The forecast for the next 14 days is mostly pretty crappy—one or two promising days—so I'm packing it in about three weeks earlier than last year. Between that and some late season repairs and a cold that kept me off the road for quite a number of days in September, I won't hit my target distance (short by about 250 km). Still, my average speed improved by about half a km/hr and my indoor regimen is going to involved 25% longer rides, so the distance for the year will still be up overall.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I still haven't shifted to outdoor riding this year—cold and wet spring, with too many cool days between the warm ones—but I decided today that I'm going to stick to indoor riding year round. I've suddenly gotten queazy feelings about riding on the parkway. Not that I'm superstitious, but I don't like the idea of doing that when I'm a bit on edge. So today I ordered a big ol' wind-tunnel style fan to put in the basement to compensate for the warmer temps. Hopefully that'll keep me cool enough.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:22pm
I still haven't shifted to outdoor riding this year—cold and wet spring, with too many cool days between the warm ones—but I decided today that I'm going to stick to indoor riding year round. I've suddenly gotten queazy feelings about riding on the parkway. Not that I'm superstitious, but I don't like the idea of doing that when I'm a bit on edge. So today I ordered a big ol' wind-tunnel style fan to put in the basement to compensate for the warmer temps. Hopefully that'll keep me cool enough.
Do you have rec paths you could use?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Oh, and I broke my foot a month or so ago so my summer is probably toast as far as running goes. Absolutely sucks.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:39pm
Do you have rec paths you could use?
Not for the speeds I want to go. All the dedicated cycling/jogging paths are either 20 or 25 kph max, which would frustrate the hell out of me. I treat cycling as punishment/competition (read into my psyche as you will with that information), so something where I'd be coasting most of the time has no appeal.
Oh, and I broke my foot a month or so ago so my summer is probably toast as far as running goes. Absolutely sucks.
Shit, sorry to hear that. If you swim, that could keep you active.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's a good idea, if I ever have room for a treadmill, I might try that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll let you know if it works. I paid for the fancy-shmancy model that has a remote so I don't have start at hurricane right at the beginning.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll let you know if it works. I paid for the fancy-shmancy model that has a remote so I don't have start at hurricane right at the beginning.
Might burn more calories if you did.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:46pm
Shit, sorry to hear that. If you swim, that could keep you active.
They said that actually cycling would be pretty easy to bounce back into. I'm not a huge fan, but I'll be moving down to the Denver area this summer where there are (for me) some more attractive road biking options that in the mountains, so it might sync up okay. I think I'll be able to get back to hiking this summer too, which will be good.

And yeah, I've been doing a bit of swimming but it's just not something I've ever been very comfortable with.

You can set up a giant screen on your inside cycling setup and project beautiful landscape to cycle through, such as inner city detroit.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2019, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't think it'll be inhibiting my speed, if that's what you mean. Some online calculator thing that I did suggested that the length and speed of my rides is supposed to burn 1000–1100 calories, which I figure compensates for my evening wine consumption.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2019, 7:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't think it'll be inhibiting my speed, if that's what you mean. Some online calculator thing that I did suggested that the length and speed of my rides is supposed to burn 1000–1100 calories, which I figure compensates for my evening wine consumption.
Cripes, that's pretty good. I rarely burn more than 200-300 any time I do something like that. I run out of stamina.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2019, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2019, 7:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Cripes, that's pretty good. I rarely burn more than 200-300 any time I do something like that. I run out of stamina.
That's assuming those calculators are right, which seems high to me but what do I know about physiology? I go 25 km per ride at an average speed of 36.1–36.3 kph (41m15s–30s; seriously my final times are almost exclusively within that fifteen second range).