IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:16pm
I haven't done a lot of cycling but I have raced a few Triathlons and a decent bike in good condition makes all the world of difference.
Bike weight, too. When I finally got a good quality bike, what was most noticeable to me was how light it was. So less leg power is being used to move the weight of the bike. Especially noticeable going up hills.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 5:00pm
revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 1:33pm
If you replace your bike, buy used. Bike shops are horribly overpriced, imo. After that, tho, don't skimp out on getting it tuned up regularly.
What do bike tune ups consist of?
Most bike shops will have tiers of thoroughness, with the highest being a dismantling and cleaning of all the parts. But a basic tune-up will involve degreasing the chain and gears then re-oiling, tightening the brake and gear cables and replacing the brake pads, and a spoke check (and replacing any that are suspect).
Okay at least some of that is stuff I would never do on my own. As for weight of the bike, I've got an old Specialized mountain bike pre shock era, probably heavier than a lot of bikes. I like the idea of finding a used one however finding the right size could prove difficult.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you replace your bike, buy used. Bike shops are horribly overpriced, imo. After that, tho, don't skimp out on getting it tuned up regularly.
Most bike shops will have tiers of thoroughness, with the highest being a dismantling and cleaning of all the parts. But a basic tune-up will involve degreasing the chain and gears then re-oiling, tightening the brake and gear cables and replacing the brake pads, and a spoke check (and replacing any that are suspect).
Okay at least some of that is stuff I would never do on my own. As for weight of the bike, I've got an old Specialized mountain bike pre shock era, probably heavier than a lot of bikes. I like the idea of finding a used one however finding the right size could prove difficult.
Unless you're freakishly tall, a standard adult male bike should do. Just raise the seat to your height (your foot shouldn't be flat on the ground when you're at a standstill). But, yeah, mountain bike or road bike, something light is revolutionary in terms of ease of riding. I can easily lift my bike up in the air with one hand.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:02pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Unless you're freakishly tall, a standard adult male bike should do. Just raise the seat to your height (your foot shouldn't be flat on the ground when you're at a standstill). But, yeah, mountain bike or road bike, something light is revolutionary in terms of ease of riding. I can easily lift my bike up in the air with one hand.
What's the threshold for freakish? I don't think I'm there but others reactions sometimes tell me differently. The bike I got at the time was not easy to come by. And I do have to raise the seat to get the proper leg extension, the problem then is my handle bars cannot be raised even a slightly equal amount. If I'm primarily flat ground the seat is raised but if I'm on trails I lower the seat so I don't easily get thrown over the handle bars.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:02pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What's the threshold for freakish? I don't think I'm there but others reactions sometimes tell me differently. The bike I got at the time was not easy to come by. And I do have to raise the seat to get the proper leg extension, the problem then is my handle bars cannot be raised even a slightly equal amount. If I'm primarily flat ground the seat is raised but if I'm on trails I lower the seat so I don't easily get thrown over the handle bars.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:58pm
If you're under 6'4", I would think a standard-sized bike should work. I'm 6' and a standard bike has always fit me perfectly, so I imagine another 4" wouldn't be a problem. You could also get handle bars with the extra prongs that are mostly perpendicular (they're like antlers coming out of the handle bars). My old mountain bike had that, tho I rarely used them.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 8:16pm
revbob wrote:
If you're under 6'4", I would think a standard-sized bike should work. I'm 6' and a standard bike has always fit me perfectly, so I imagine another 4" wouldn't be a problem. You could also get handle bars with the extra prongs that are mostly perpendicular (they're like antlers coming out of the handle bars). My old mountain bike had that, tho I rarely used them.
Yeah that's the problem. I've got the "antlers", they help a little.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 9:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 8:16pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah that's the problem. I've got the "antlers", they help a little.
Ah, so you are freakishly tall. I'd do some Internet research then, but it does make it harder to find something cheap.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
19 May 2017, 4:51pm
I haven't started back up running yet this year. I've been mired in a freelance nightmare that's sapping my energy and time, so I can't motivate myself. I've been on a draconian diet to make up for it.
So you ditched the old job or is the freelance in addition to your other work?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Took the bike into the shop as I failed to repair a puncture for myself. They pulled out a Koh I Noor sized shard of glass that I'd somehow missed and sent me on my way. Was relieved I could afford the cost of fixing it cos I couldn't do without the two hours a day, five days a week any more. I'd grump right down into being intolerable now.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2017, 10:58am
Kory wrote:
I haven't started back up running yet this year. I've been mired in a freelance nightmare that's sapping my energy and time, so I can't motivate myself. I've been on a draconian diet to make up for it.
It's in addition. I thought would be a quick 2-week job but it's turned into 2 month. I just wrapped it up yesterday though, so I'll be back to running this week.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2017, 4:17pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's in addition. I thought would be a quick 2-week job but it's turned into 2 month. I just wrapped it up yesterday though, so I'll be back to running this week.
I don't do freelance stuff because my experience is once you touch someone else's network/server/computer any problems that crop up later will be directed back to you no matter if it is related to the original work you did or not.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
22 May 2017, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
I don't do freelance stuff because my experience is once you touch someone else's network/server/computer any problems that crop up later will be directed back to you no matter if it is related to the original work you did or not.
That's what contracts are for!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2017, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Full disclosure I may be good from a technical standpoint but I'm a terrible businessman. But that makes sense. I'd like to be able to eventually transition into a semi- retired freelancer though so I may need some of those skills.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
22 May 2017, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
22 May 2017, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

Full disclosure I may be good from a technical standpoint but I'm a terrible businessman. But that makes sense. I'd like to be able to eventually transition into a semi- retired freelancer though so I may need some of those skills.
I'm terrible at it too. I basically just learn enough from one job to make the next one slightly more bearable.