IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 2:58pm
Trouble is when you have finished exercising and you are tired you forget what the good ideas were.
I've learned to leave notepads around. Reading in the tub is another place I come up with things to check out when I get out. If I remember 50%, I figure I've done okay.
The shower is another good place to think and apparently is is because of the 'clean air' you breath. The water from the shower spray removes a lot of the dust and crap so the air is richer in oxygen. For same reason you should run/ walk / ride in first areas if you want to think. More oxygen.
I wonder why scientist etc don't wear oxygen masks?
Ha! That's an interesting possibility, if in fact it is just the oxygen and not just fresher air more generally.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sidenote: every time doc talks about his tub time, I picture a surly bald Canadian relaxing in a bubble bath adorned with rose petals.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 7:44pm
Sidenote: every time doc talks about his tub time, I picture a surly bald Canadian relaxing in a bubble bath adorned with rose petals.
Swoon when you say that, pardner.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 7:44pm
Mmmmm surly and bald.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 3:21pm
101Walterton wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 2:58pm
Trouble is when you have finished exercising and you are tired you forget what the good ideas were.
I've learned to leave notepads around. Reading in the tub is another place I come up with things to check out when I get out. If I remember 50%, I figure I've done okay.
The shower is another good place to think and apparently is is because of the 'clean air' you breath. The water from the shower spray removes a lot of the dust and crap so the air is richer in oxygen. For same reason you should run/ walk / ride in first areas if you want to think. More oxygen.
I wonder why scientist etc don't wear oxygen masks?
Ha! That's an interesting possibility, if in fact it is just the oxygen and not just fresher air more generally.
That was supposed to say 'forest' areas. More oxygen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I hit the wall running in my first marathon it is a very weird and unpleasant experience to say the least. It only happened once and was due to getting everything wrong.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A cool and wet spring has meant that I won't be switching to riding outside until today—about ten days behind last year. I ended up riding 2000 km on the trainer in the basement this winter, 500 kms better than last year and a much better average speed. It'll be great to be back outside, with the fresh air and more up and down terrain. Riding in the basement is never fun.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm cycling 240 miles a month now and I love it. I feel fantastic after doing it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2017, 10:49am
I'm cycling 240 miles a month now and I love it. I feel fantastic after doing it.
Great to hear! There's something liberating when you're on a bike. Can't properly explain it, but it is a mood enhancer beyond just the exercise. Running has always felt like punishment to me, but cycling is a release even tho I push myself to go as hard as possible.

Decided to get a new trainer today. Found a used one where the resistance is on the rim, rather than the tire. That way I don't have to switch tires—the one I have is hard on the tread, slowly scraping it away, so I use an old crappy tire in the basement—and can more easily ride in the basement in the summer during rainy or cool weather.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2017, 11:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
Great to hear! There's something liberating when you're on a bike. Can't properly explain it, but it is a mood enhancer beyond just the exercise. Running has always felt like punishment to me, but cycling is a release even tho I push myself to go as hard as possible.
Yeah, I loathe running. But we cyclists, we're the anarchists of the highways, bound to none of the stunted waiting of the buses and cars, masters of our own terrain. It's the mixture of the exercise and the feeling of freedom.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2017, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2017, 11:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, I loathe running. But we cyclists, we're the anarchists of the highways, bound to none of the stunted waiting of the buses and cars, masters of our own terrain. It's the mixture of the exercise and the feeling of freedom.
Fight the power of internal combustion engines and stuff!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I tried biking and it really did nothing for me. I'll admit, the saturation of bike culture in my area was probably a bit of a turn-off, but biking never felt like anything but work. Running at least lets me get in a groove and I can focus a bit more on the music being played, the scenery, etc. Also love, love, love very minimal amount of gear needed. I have enough other gear-centric hobbies that I don't need to be fiddle-fucking with equipment when I just want to get a workout in. All that said, there's an obvious appeal to biking, both as an activity and mode of transportation, so don't mean to sound negative on it.

I've been a little sporadic on the running, mostly because it's been snowing up until about two weeks ago. But it's gotten nice out again and I'm hitting the pavement pretty regularly. Have a 10k coming up in a couple weeks and then will begin training for a backcountry trailrunning half marathon later in the summer, which will be interesting (race profile here for anyone interested in how I'll end up killing myself).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2017, 12:05pm
I tried biking and it really did nothing for me. I'll admit, the saturation of bike culture in my area was probably a bit of a turn-off, but biking never felt like anything but work. Running at least lets me get in a groove and I can focus a bit more on the music being played, the scenery, etc. Also love, love, love very minimal amount of gear needed. I have enough other gear-centric hobbies that I don't need to be fiddle-fucking with equipment when I just want to get a workout in. All that said, there's an obvious appeal to biking, both as an activity and mode of transportation, so don't mean to sound negative on it.
The cheapskate part of me is drawn to running, as well as its viability in rain and wind. The regular costs of bike upkeep always feels like a major hit. And I do hate (or rather mock) the bike culture here. Regardless of your degree of fitness, gotta be dressed up like you've got corporate sponsorship. The funniest thing I saw along those lines were a couple in their late 50s, all spandexed up, riding a tandem bike. Curious, tho, that you've found running more conducive to focusing on music and environment—I've had the complete opposite experience, but part of that, as I said, is that running feels like a chore and it's hard to enjoy anything else. Cycling provides a rhythm, an unconscious exertion, and I can listen to my audiobook and breathe in the environment.

Glad that you're still running regularly. My aversion to running amps up me respect that you keep at it so steadily.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I can't concentrate on anything but how horrible all this is when running. I can hear podcasts and listen to audiobooks as easy as anything when biking.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/