Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Pets.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Buddy likes boxes.
Attachments
85B4AB9A-02B0-41E4-A915-F8FEC5984B27.jpeg
85B4AB9A-02B0-41E4-A915-F8FEC5984B27.jpeg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 2396 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 9:28pm
Getting closer to a better diagnosis for Licorice. Took her to get an ultrasound today, met with an internist, and after four hours we learned the one of her kidneys is the size of...something really small. 2mm I think they said. Her other kidney is normalish. So whatever happened in May must have been an acute injury--still not sure what caused it. Since she had a shot of antibiotics it might have been an infection that went undetected in the urine culture. So not great news but not real bad news, I guess. Still more blood tests to see what, if any, permanent damage has been done to the one functioning kidney. Other than that, she's acting pretty much like Licorice: high maintenance, complicated, and temperamental.
Does she go outside? Not easy for indoor cats to be injured (tho Charlotte broke a foot by pulling a planter down). Fingers crossed that her other kidney is in good shape and maybe a special diet can up her health further.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 6:21am
Mimi wrote:
Getting closer to a better diagnosis for Licorice. Took her to get an ultrasound today, met with an internist, and after four hours we learned the one of her kidneys is the size of...something really small. 2mm I think they said. Her other kidney is normalish. So whatever happened in May must have been an acute injury--still not sure what caused it. Since she had a shot of antibiotics it might have been an infection that went undetected in the urine culture. So not great news but not real bad news, I guess. Still more blood tests to see what, if any, permanent damage has been done to the one functioning kidney. Other than that, she's acting pretty much like Licorice: high maintenance, complicated, and temperamental.
Does she go outside? Not easy for indoor cats to be injured (tho Charlotte broke a foot by pulling a planter down). Fingers crossed that her other kidney is in good shape and maybe a special diet can up her health further.
No, strictly indoors. I'm looking into something called Balance IT. I guess it's a supplement you can add to homemade food. The thought of making food for the cats has me more excited about food than I should be. https://secure.balanceit.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 7:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No, strictly indoors. I'm looking into something called Balance IT. I guess it's a supplement you can add to homemade food. The thought of making food for the cats has me more excited about food than I should be. https://secure.balanceit.com/
Some friends of ours only fed their cats homemade food. They cited health reasons and all that, but I suspect it was something more emotional, more maternal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 7:37am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Some friends of ours only fed their cats homemade food. They cited health reasons and all that, but I suspect it was something more emotional, more maternal.
Heh. For me it's a control issue. Canned cat food, all of it, is pure crap. Controlling what I put in them gives me a sense of peace. Too bad I don't have a supply of field mice to give them. lol

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 7:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Heh. For me it's a control issue. Canned cat food, all of it, is pure crap. Controlling what I put in them gives me a sense of peace. Too bad I don't have a supply of field mice to give them. lol
Our previous cats' diet reflected our income at the time, so, yeah, crap. Later on, we tried to switch them to non-processed stuff, but they were hooked on the factory food. The current two are on both a higher end dry food in the morning and pouches of shredded wet food called BFF in the evening. I have no idea how much better it is for them, but I've convinced myself that spending more is buying better health. These two certainly aren't chubby like the others!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 8:08am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Our previous cats' diet reflected our income at the time, so, yeah, crap. Later on, we tried to switch them to non-processed stuff, but they were hooked on the factory food. The current two are on both a higher end dry food in the morning and pouches of shredded wet food called BFF in the evening. I have no idea how much better it is for them, but I've convinced myself that spending more is buying better health. These two certainly aren't chubby like the others!
We get the Wellness grain free stuff and that keeps him happy and regular. Every once in a while I buy Friskees and he fucking loves it but it makes him poop gravy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 9:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

We get the Wellness grain free stuff and that keeps him happy and regular. Every once in a while I buy Friskees and he fucking loves it but it makes him poop gravy.
I don't know what's in the Temptations treats, but our girls act like the cats in the commercials. Absolute batshit crying and dancing, and then they just hoover them up.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 10:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 9:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't know what's in the Temptations treats, but our girls act like the cats in the commercials. Absolute batshit crying and dancing, and then they just hoover them up.
I feel like cats would be much more picky, er, discerning, about food and treats. Dogs just hoover up anything, though Scout doesn't like pretzels. Teddy the hamster is very into sweet potato. He likes to stuff it in his goddamn cheeks, which is the cutest fucking thing I have ever seen.

Meemz, I hope your kitty makes a complete recovery.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:22am
I feel like cats would be much more picky, er, discerning, about food and treats. Dogs just hoover up anything, though Scout doesn't like pretzels. Teddy the hamster is very into sweet potato. He likes to stuff it in his goddamn cheeks, which is the cutest fucking thing I have ever seen.
Our girls are maniacs for food, perhaps because we don't overfeed them (their vet is amazed every year that both are still at an ideal weight, even after seven years), so when food comes out they go nuts. To their credit, tho, they aren't into human food, aside from licking yogurt or ice cream bowls.

Now I want some pretzels.

edit: I have, in fact, gone out and gotten a bag of pretzels, a strong handful from which I have place in a bowl, which is on my desk, along with a glass of diet root beer. Livin' the life.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I can control myself, but sometimes I can talk about my cats like new parents talk about their kids. So, ever since Lic has had her kidney issue, I've had to make small adjustments to her environment: more water bowls and more litter boxes. I now have one in my upstairs office which she likes to use just to pee, rarely to stink it up. I've read, and I'm not sure if it's entirely true, that cats with kidney disease give off a smell because of the build-up of toxins in their body. When Lic was still in her sickly stage, Butters avoided her and her litter box. He'd step inside and smell it before walking away in disgust. Now that she's feeling better, he's finally cuddling up to her...and using her new litter box. A few days ago she caught him just as he stepped inside and started moving the litter around. Oh my god, the look on her face. She was so offended and indignant, giving him a look of what the fuck are you doing? I know it's one of those you had to be there moments, but shit was I howling.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 8:51am
I can control myself, but sometimes I can talk about my cats like new parents talk about their kids. So, ever since Lic has had her kidney issue, I've had to make small adjustments to her environment: more water bowls and more litter boxes. I now have one in my upstairs office which she likes to use just to pee, rarely to stink it up. I've read, and I'm not sure if it's entirely true, that cats with kidney disease give off a smell because of the build-up of toxins in their body. When Lic was still in her sickly stage, Butters avoided her and her litter box. He'd step inside and smell it before walking away in disgust. Now that she's feeling better, he's finally cuddling up to her...and using her new litter box. A few days ago she caught him just as he stepped inside and started moving the litter around. Oh my god, the look on her face. She was so offended and indignant, giving him a look of what the fuck are you doing? I know it's one of those you had to be there moments, but shit was I howling.
Cats are goofs. Prideful yet dorky. Their sensitivity to smells is remarkable, yet they're such morons about it. Take one cat to the vet while the other stays at home, the new one comes home smelling a bit off and is treated like a completely new cat under the smells return to normal. Come on, you know who it is, melonhead.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 8:59am
Mimi wrote:
Cats are goofs. Prideful yet dorky. Their sensitivity to smells is remarkable, yet they're such morons about it. Take one cat to the vet while the other stays at home, the new one comes home smelling a bit off and is treated like a completely new cat under the smells return to normal. Come on, you know who it is, melonhead.
:lol:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 9:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No shame about talking to/about your pets like they are your children. I talk about our hamster like that, FFS. At least yours is a real pet.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 9:57am
Mimi wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 9:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No shame about talking to/about your pets like they are your children. I talk about our hamster like that, FFS. At least yours is a real pet.
Hamsters are real pets. They're so freaking adorable.