Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 8:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 8:33pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 1:08pm
Face it, you've probably got a new cat. This makes three cats. This means you and your bride have crossed the line into crazytown. Welcome to crazytown.
The Boss just told me that if we can't find his people, she wants to keep him. It could be a cat who barely knows you but splays out on his back on your lap for a tummy rub has some charm to him.
Crazytown came for Neil and now Neil is of Crazytown.
The rub is that unless we surrender him to the local Humane Society, he can't be declared abandoned and then available to adopt. Which means we'd basically be kidnapping him, and if his original people came calling, they could claim him. But B is uncomfortable with sending him to a shelter and basically restarting the whole integration thing, plus whatever trauma is involved with being in a shelter. At this point, I'm annoyed that I was home when he came crying and annoyed that his people aren't actively looking for him and annoyed by the hoops we'd have to jump thru and annoyed by the uncertainties of getting him and the girls on decent terms.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 9:04pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 8:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Face it, you've probably got a new cat. This makes three cats. This means you and your bride have crossed the line into crazytown. Welcome to crazytown.
The Boss just told me that if we can't find his people, she wants to keep him. It could be a cat who barely knows you but splays out on his back on your lap for a tummy rub has some charm to him.
Crazytown came for Neil and now Neil is of Crazytown.
The rub is that unless we surrender him to the local Humane Society, he can't be declared abandoned and then available to adopt. Which means we'd basically be kidnapping him, and if his original people came calling, they could claim him. But B is uncomfortable with sending him to a shelter and basically restarting the whole integration thing, plus whatever trauma is involved with being in a shelter. At this point, I'm annoyed that I was home when he came crying and annoyed that his people aren't actively looking for him and annoyed by the hoops we'd have to jump thru and annoyed by the uncertainties of getting him and the girls on decent terms.

BostonBeaneater

Buddy is a hoe for the new electric blanket.
Attachments
F03D12E6-4932-4AF1-BEB1-C3A8EB91DB39.jpeg

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 9:50pm
Buddy is a hoe for the new electric blanket.
When Pagan, who was part of our first duo of cats, got older, she looooooved having a heating pad underneath the cushion of her cat bed. Simple but true pleasures.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That cat is all You Are My Density. Let's hope it works out for the best.

P.S. Buddy is a cutie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So I'm regularly checking the lost pet stuff online here now rather compulsively (as is my way with most shit) and I'm just gutted by all the postings, especially people who have been searching for months, even years. Holding out that kind of hope for so long is wrenching.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 9:53am
So I'm regularly checking the lost pet stuff online here now rather compulsively (as is my way with most shit) and I'm just gutted by all the postings, especially people who have been searching for months, even years. Holding out that kind of hope for so long is wrenching.
I honestly don't know what I would do if that happened to me. That is obviously much worse than your dog or cat dying. Scout has gotten out of our backyard a couple of times (we have fixed the escape spots - she loves to chase the deer) and I almost had a nervous breakdown each time. She is chipped and we are also members of Home Again, but it's the not knowing that is harrowing.

Looking forward to further Luke updates. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I honestly don't know what I would do if that happened to me. That is obviously much worse than your dog or cat dying. Scout has gotten out of our backyard a couple of times (we have fixed the escape spots - she loves to chase the deer) and I almost had a nervous breakdown each time. She is chipped and we are also members of Home Again, but it's the not knowing that is harrowing.
With a pet dying, yeah, you know the state of things and can try to move on. But that uncertainty with a lost pal …. Pagan got loose once and we found her within a half hour hiding in the backyard, but that time when she was gone was terrifying.
His bowels work. Very, very well. :twitch:

The plan I think we're leaning to is doing the vet thing on our dime entirely and then, assuming he's fine and no longer programmed to see our girls as concubines, try integrating him into the household. If it goes very poorly after a week or so, we'll surrender him to the Humane Society (found out that they're no-kill, so that allays my chief worry). And if his people finally come calling—my current thought now is that he may have been deliberately abandoned; I just can't understand why there are no lost posters for him on the streets or online—we'll figure things out then.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:52am
JennyB wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
With a pet dying, yeah, you know the state of things and can try to move on. But that uncertainty with a lost pal …. Pagan got loose once and we found her within a half hour hiding in the backyard, but that time when she was gone was terrifying.
His bowels work. Very, very well. :twitch:

The plan I think we're leaning to is doing the vet thing on our dime entirely and then, assuming he's fine and no longer programmed to see our girls as concubines, try integrating him into the household. If it goes very poorly after a week or so, we'll surrender him to the Humane Society (found out that they're no-kill, so that allays my chief worry). And if his people finally come calling—my current thought now is that he may have been deliberately abandoned; I just can't understand why there are no lost posters for him on the streets or online—we'll figure things out then.
All four of my cats were rescues...but the most recent edition came to us under similar circumstances. My sister actually found him. He'd been seen in her alley for several days and eventually she was able to get him inside. We were just heading into a long Milwaukee winter and she was worried about him being outside. He was young and personable and fixed - so we thought maybe he had gotten loose. She put up signs in the neighborhood...posted on community bulletin boards and Craigslist...but nobody claimed him. I took him in as we had room. I think he was clearly someone's cat and either got away or was abandoned. It was tough thinking that maybe someone was looking for him...but as much as we did to put his description out there...nobody ever claimed him and he's know an established member of our household. He does like to bolt for the door and as hard as we work on training him to stay away...he gets out at least once a week. He never goes anywhere (knock on wood). He just strolls around and gets distracted by the first interesting thing and then he's grabbed and hauled back inside.

I hope all goes well for this cat! Good luck!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Glad to hear your HS is no kill - he will be adopted fast. He is super cute. And they are super resilient even after being in shelters. All of our dogs are shelter rescues - never in foster homes or anything - and adjusted right away.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 11:20am
All four of my cats were rescues...but the most recent edition came to us under similar circumstances. My sister actually found him. He'd been seen in her alley for several days and eventually she was able to get him inside. We were just heading into a long Milwaukee winter and she was worried about him being outside. He was young and personable and fixed - so we thought maybe he had gotten loose. She put up signs in the neighborhood...posted on community bulletin boards and Craigslist...but nobody claimed him. I took him in as we had room. I think he was clearly someone's cat and either got away or was abandoned. It was tough thinking that maybe someone was looking for him...but as much as we did to put his description out there...nobody ever claimed him and he's know an established member of our household. He does like to bolt for the door and as hard as we work on training him to stay away...he gets out at least once a week. He never goes anywhere (knock on wood). He just strolls around and gets distracted by the first interesting thing and then he's grabbed and hauled back inside.

Did you have many problems integrating new ones to the group? My anxiety in potentially adopting him is the effect it'll have on our two female cats. They're littermates, coming up on eight years old in February. They're super pampered (my doing, much less the Boss) and insular. Zoë is especially close to me and I worry about what bringing this guy in might do to that closeness. As much as I want to give this guy a nice and easy life, my first obligation is to them. Ideally, his easy-going way wins them over and life is even better than before, but I'd never forgive myself if the girls end up becoming withdrawn from us all over the intruder who never left.

BostonBeaneater

This thought occurred to me last night and I am inclined to think that this is what went down. This drives me bonkers because there is no reason to not just leave the animal at a no kill shelter. Buddy was initially adopted by a single mom and her little girl. The girl lived with autism and was also allergic to cats and her mom didn't want to add any more drugs to the kid's intake. She sequestered Buddy in the basement and put the word out through North Shore Animal League. Tanya know's Beth Stern (Howard's wife) who is very much involved with NSAL and posts kitties needing adoption. Tanya saw Buddy and he was dropped off a few days later. I know Beth Stern has some star power to get the work out that gives NSAL a leg up on finding homes but it really isn't that hard.

For kittyphiles:
https://www.instagram.com/bethostern/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 11:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 11:20am

Did you have many problems integrating new ones to the group? My anxiety in potentially adopting him is the effect it'll have on our two female cats. They're littermates, coming up on eight years old in February. They're super pampered (my doing, much less the Boss) and insular. Zoë is especially close to me and I worry about what bringing this guy in might do to that closeness. As much as I want to give this guy a nice and easy life, my first obligation is to them. Ideally, his easy-going way wins them over and life is even better than before, but I'd never forgive myself if the girls end up becoming withdrawn from us all over the intruder who never left.
His integration into the household was pretty painless. I've always been told that you can introduce multiple males without an issue, but if you try and introduce a second female that is a lot harder. Male cats have a pecking order and any new cat will just fall into line (generally speaking). When you bring a new female cat into a household where there is already an established female - then you get a battle for supremacy.

My hunch (and hope) is that it will go well for you. Your two females are already established as co-head's of the cat household and the male should just settle in.

We've always been careful introducing new cats. We'll keep the new cat locked away for several days and then start mixing in "visits" with the other cats. We've had luck with letting the new cat sleep on a blanket or towel and then after a few days bringing the blanket out and letting the other cats get used to the smell.

With the new guy we brought home last fall...the first couple of days/nights we had him locked away in my son's room. The other cats would come to the door. There was a lot of sniffing and some growling. We let him out after maybe 2-3 days and let him have supervised visits. There were some squabbles, but nothing major and within 5 days he was out in general population.

We did have a female for many years and introducing new male cats was never an issue. For the most part...she ignored them. The minor squabbling was always with the other male cats and that passed after a short period of time.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:15pm
This thought occurred to me last night and I am inclined to think that this is what went down. This drives me bonkers because there is no reason to not just leave the animal at a no kill shelter. Buddy was initially adopted by a single mom and her little girl. The girl lived with autism and was also allergic to cats and her mom didn't want to add any more drugs to the kid's intake. She sequestered Buddy in the basement and put the word out through North Shore Animal League. Tanya know's Beth Stern (Howard's wife) who is very much involved with NSAL and posts kitties needing adoption. Tanya saw Buddy and he was dropped off a few days later. I know Beth Stern has some star power to get the work out that gives NSAL a leg up on finding homes but it really isn't that hard.

For kittyphiles:
https://www.instagram.com/bethostern/
NSAL is amazing. A lot of times, though, no kill shelters don't accept surrenders. Stray Rescue, where I used to volunteer, is no kill but they are solely focused on rescuing strays. That's why it would be so great if ALL shelters went no kill.

I love that Howard and Beth are so active in this community. They do such great work and from what I have read, they are both hard working and don't just lend their names (Beth even more so).
Got a Rake? Sure!