Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 10:23am
Wolter wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 10:18am
Mimi wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 9:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 7:25am
Mimi wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 11:32pm
Every time I go to the doctor, they ask me if I'm taking medication. They are amazed when I say no. The last nurse said that usually everyone is on at least one sort of medication. Is this true? lol
I've had the same experience with my dentist. They always express some surprise or wariness when I say I'm not on any medication (which may be a bit more expected given the epilepsy). It really is suggestive, tho, of how entrenched pharmaceuticals are in our lives when the non-prescribed people arouse curiosity.
Exactly.
I never noticed. Probably because I’m hella mentally ill and always on medication.
Well, have I got some snake oil for you!
My thetans have been feeling a little discombobulated lately.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 10:18am
Mimi wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 9:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 7:25am
Mimi wrote:
Every time I go to the doctor, they ask me if I'm taking medication. They are amazed when I say no. The last nurse said that usually everyone is on at least one sort of medication. Is this true? lol
I've had the same experience with my dentist. They always express some surprise or wariness when I say I'm not on any medication (which may be a bit more expected given the epilepsy). It really is suggestive, tho, of how entrenched pharmaceuticals are in our lives when the non-prescribed people arouse curiosity.
Exactly.
I never noticed. Probably because I’m hella mentally ill and always on medication.
Same.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
I dont think there's been a single time in the past 5-10 years when a doctor hasnt openly advocated for medication. And Im pretty healthy, could be better but nothing that losing a few lbs and exercising a bit more couldnt tske care of. The odd thing is they dont seem to advocate for that.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 9:13pm
Mimi wrote:
I dont think there's been a single time in the past 5-10 years when a doctor hasnt openly advocated for medication. And Im pretty healthy, could be better but nothing that losing a few lbs and exercising a bit more couldnt tske care of. The odd thing is they dont seem to advocate for that.
Mine always tell me to exercise and lose weight, and I demand better drugs instead.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 9:32pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mine always tell me to exercise and lose weight, and I demand better drugs instead.
:lol: You are such a Boomer wannabe.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
That is so punk rawk! :lol:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 9:44pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
:lol: You are such a Boomer wannabe.
That is low, Doc.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
This year has been a year of medical issues for me. I don't want to go into, but I'm happy to report I'm healthy. Yay. But throughout this year, I've been to lots of different doctors and not one single one hasn't either pushed a pill or a test on me that I didn't need. The minute I mentioned lifestyle change and diet as a way of curing things? Laugh me right out the door. It's sickening. The last doctor I saw got so angry at me for refusing to take a medication I didn't really need that had such bad side effects only to "prevent" something I may not even get. And don't even get me started on the roundabout way he arrived at his decision. I won't be going back to him, even if I need to.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 12:31pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
This year has been a year of medical issues for me. I don't want to go into, but I'm happy to report I'm healthy. Yay. But throughout this year, I've been to lots of different doctors and not one single one hasn't either pushed a pill or a test on me that I didn't need. The minute I mentioned lifestyle change and diet as a way of curing things? Laugh me right out the door. It's sickening. The last doctor I saw got so angry at me for refusing to take a medication I didn't really need that had such bad side effects only to "prevent" something I may not even get. And don't even get me started on the roundabout way he arrived at his decision. I won't be going back to him, even if I need to.
Yeah. I really don't like the way they seem to be in collusion with the drug companies to push stuff, even after drug reps stopped being allowed to shower them with gifts. That being said, if it weren't for cymbalta, I'd probably be curled up in a fetal position right now not having left the house for weeks. It has helped my anxiety ever since I had PPD, and helped me get through Scott's cancer and my dad's death like a reasonable human being. However, it's not a cure all and it's not for everyone.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 1:03pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Yeah. I really don't like the way they seem to be in collusion with the drug companies to push stuff, even after drug reps stopped being allowed to shower them with gifts. That being said, if it weren't for cymbalta, I'd probably be curled up in a fetal position right now not having left the house for weeks. It has helped my anxiety ever since I had PPD, and helped me get through Scott's cancer and my dad's death like a reasonable human being. However, it's not a cure all and it's not for everyone.
There are some things where medication is absolutely necessary.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 1:10pm
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
For sure - andI didn't intend for my comment to be an argument. I agree with you - they push meds too much.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 1:15pm
Mimi wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 1:10pm
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:

For sure - andI didn't intend for my comment to be an argument. I agree with you - they push meds too much.
Oh, I didn't take it that way. It made me wonder if I was coming across as judgmental. No probs. I'm easy like Sunday morning. lol

My brother was on Lexapro for years, so I understand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My first neurologist prescribed an older type of antipsychotic for my epilepsy that turned me into a zombie. When I told him I couldn't take it, that my quality of life absolutely sucked, he said he would no longer treat me. I was much better off just dealing with the occasional seizure, so fine, I did that. For some reason, a couple years later, I went to Saskatoon's other neurologist, who also insisted I had to go on pharmaceuticals otherwise I would die. But he didn't want to tell me anything about the drug because, he said, patients look up the side effects to find out the negatives. And this is a bad thing? Apparently. I didn't bother with him either.

When we moved to Ottawa and bought our house, I couldn't get attached to the mortgage insurance because of my epilepsy—high risk of sudden death, the insurers say—so we decided I'd try a new neurologist. This guy is great. Super fantastic. Wants my participation, encourages me doing research, all that (much younger guy than the other two). We agreed that I'd try a somewhat newer drug, but it had a side effect of causing depression in something like 8% of users. And I ended up in that 8%. Terrifying how quickly I collapsed. And amazing how quickly I recovered once I started going off that dope. He and I talked about another medication, one that has the advantage of also being a mood stabilizer, which would help my on-again-off-again issues with depression, but also may cause a fatal rash. I told him I felt gun shy after the first two medications and he supported that, saying that he didn't think I was in any danger by going drug-free (the most I do is take mega doses of omega-3, which has some anecdotal evidence in alleviating symptoms). The thing is that if this guy now told me that he thinks it would be a good idea if I went on some drug or other, I'm more inclined to listen because he's treated me like an interested party in my own health. Basic fucking respect for the patient's interests.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 1:25pm
My first neurologist prescribed an older type of antipsychotic for my epilepsy that turned me into a zombie. When I told him I couldn't take it, that my quality of life absolutely sucked, he said he would no longer treat me. I was much better off just dealing with the occasional seizure, so fine, I did that. For some reason, a couple years later, I went to Saskatoon's other neurologist, who also insisted I had to go on pharmaceuticals otherwise I would die. But he didn't want to tell me anything about the drug because, he said, patients look up the side effects to find out the negatives. And this is a bad thing? Apparently. I didn't bother with him either.

When we moved to Ottawa and bought our house, I couldn't get attached to the mortgage insurance because of my epilepsy—high risk of sudden death, the insurers say—so we decided I'd try a new neurologist. This guy is great. Super fantastic. Wants my participation, encourages me doing research, all that (much younger guy than the other two). We agreed that I'd try a somewhat newer drug, but it had a side effect of causing depression in something like 8% of users. And I ended up in that 8%. Terrifying how quickly I collapsed. And amazing how quickly I recovered once I started going off that dope. He and I talked about another medication, one that has the advantage of also being a mood stabilizer, which would help my on-again-off-again issues with depression, but also may cause a fatal rash. I told him I felt gun shy after the first two medications and he supported that, saying that he didn't think I was in any danger by going drug-free (the most I do is take mega doses of omega-3, which has some anecdotal evidence in alleviating symptoms). The thing is that if this guy now told me that he thinks it would be a good idea if I went on some drug or other, I'm more inclined to listen because he's treated me like an interested party in my own health. Basic fucking respect for the patient's interests.
Sounds like a keeper.

A big red flag for any doctor who doesn't encourage his patients to research a drug they're pushing.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

What do you pay these doctors for?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/