Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

I switched from hdmi input to regular tv the other day and soccer was on I lunged for the other remote to quickly change the channel. My wife looks at me and says "What's wrong with soccer?" I bit my tongue and changed the subject.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:10am
I switched from hdmi input to regular tv the other day and soccer was on I lunged for the other remote to quickly change the channel. My wife looks at me and says "What's wrong with soccer?" I bit my tongue and changed the subject.
You just don't appreciate the drunken enthusiasm of the crowd as one guy kicks the dot-ball to another guy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:41am
revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:10am
You just don't appreciate the drunken enthusiasm of the crowd as one guy kicks the dot-ball to another guy.
She's from one of those soccer loving places. Ill watch world cup or Olympics especially if its the women but no I won't watch generic limey tie ball.

I had some time to kill and decided to check out some nearby bars that Ive never been in in my 30 years here.

First place "Irish pub" like. They dont even have Guinness on tap. I try to order one of my favorite locals and "we're out hon, would you like a Labatt Blue instead?"

I politely excused myself and tried another place. They had some ok beer at least but not my vibe. Generic bad CW on the juke box.

Ill never set foot in either place again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:17pm
I had some time to kill and decided to check out some nearby bars that Ive never been in in my 30 years here.

First place "Irish pub" like. They dont even have Guinness on tap. I try to order one of my favorite locals and "we're out hon, would you like a Labatt Blue instead?"
:lol: The idea of Labatt's as a substitute for anything (save for desperation) is insanely hilarious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:31pm
revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:17pm

:lol: The idea of Labatt's as a substitute for anything (save for desperation) is insanely hilarious.
Yeah, moral of story, trust your instincts. I don't know what I was thinking, surely in 30 years someone would have said something positive about these place were they even decent.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 9:01pm
att's as a substitute for anything (save for desperation) is insanely hilarious.
Yeah, moral of story, trust your instincts. I don't know what I was thinking, surely in 30 years someone would have said something positive about these place were they even decent.
[/quote]

As a connoisseur of dive bars I decided to do a little research and, maybe, give you some suggestions for your next drinking junket. I would like to know if you have been to any of these places.

Olde Northender Pub: This looks like the kind of joint you could pick up a divorcee who is hot to trot and the bar tender does shots with you.

T. Ruggs Tavern: Old guys, no women, not even drugs. This looks like the kind of joint you could shit your pants in and no one would notice.

JP's Pub: No women, maybe drugs, video games. I would go in here to forget something.

Esox: This might be a good place to watch a ballgame.

Rí Rá Irish Pub: Lots of wood, probably a decent shepherds pie, unattractive Irish broads working hard. I would give this a shot and likely leave with some dignity.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 12:09pm
revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 9:01pm
att's as a substitute for anything (save for desperation) is insanely hilarious.
As a connoisseur of dive bars I decided to do a little research and, maybe, give you some suggestions for your next drinking junket. I would like to know if you have been to any of these places.

Olde Northender Pub: This looks like the kind of joint you could pick up a divorcee who is hot to trot and the bar tender does shots with you.

T. Ruggs Tavern: Old guys, no women, not even drugs. This looks like the kind of joint you could shit your pants in and no one would notice.

JP's Pub: No women, maybe drugs, video games. I would go in here to forget something.

Esox: This might be a good place to watch a ballgame.

Rí Rá Irish Pub: Lots of wood, probably a decent shepherds pie, unattractive Irish broads working hard. I would give this a shot and likely leave with some dignity.
[/quote]

I want to say the Old Northender had some issues with drug deals there about 20 years back. Never been there nor T. Ruggs even when I was only maybe 2 blocks away. It was an old man bar and I was a young man in search of women of the same variety and you wouldnt find them at T Ruggs.

JPs is ok, right on Main St been a while since I was there. Esox is a great place they have a big front window that goes down on nice days. Great place to have some beers and watch a day game.
Ri Ra's is okay nice inside good food and beer. Saw Blood or Whiskey play there on 9/12/2001. Many years later I saw Derek Warfield of the Wolfe Tones do a show there. They don't typically have off the boat Irish working there, not that I've seen anyway.

I need to checkout the Nepali Kitchen & Bar that's not too far from my place.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fall softball in Vermont is not as great as it sounds. Its like 32 degrees, damp and windy and I have a game to play...once these fuckers finish the previous game. The good news its the last game of the season.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 8:50pm
Fall softball in Vermont is not as great as it sounds. Its like 32 degrees, damp and windy and I have a game to play...once these fuckers finish the previous game. The good news its the last game of the season.
That's nuts. Jesus didn't get nailed up just so you'd get pneumonia playing softball in November.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 9:12pm
revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 8:50pm
That's nuts. Jesus didn't get nailed up just so you'd get pneumonia playing softball in November.
Uh its like in the bible.

So game over, we lost and it was largely a disappointing season for me. Played solid 1B but I never really got my swing back. A lot of hitting the ball off the handle or hitting crappy ground balls.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

This came up on my Facebook memories today (from two years ago):

"There's a rare majesty in how bad Cut the Crap is. It's like the Revolver of shitty albums." - My friend Neil, who is from Canada and is smart. Because it's true.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 5:52pm
This came up on my Facebook memories today (from two years ago):

"There's a rare majesty in how bad Cut the Crap is. It's like the Revolver of shitty albums." - My friend Neil, who is from Canada and is smart. Because it's true.
I said that? Blind squirrel syndrome is definitely real.