Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Its fucking snowing again

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 5:40pm
Its fucking snowing again
Got a foot of snow this weekend. The skiing's been great. :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I bombed on a job interview and now I hate everything.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 3:33pm
The other applicants may have bombed worse! Or you may have come across as idiosyncratic, which can be an asset.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
I think we've all done this. At one point I started interviewing for jobs I didnt want just so I could get used to the process. At one time worked at the same place for over 15 years and when I wanted to leave I realized I was not prepared for interviews. I now do at least one a year.

Mimi, go over where you think you did poorly so you can correct any mistakes. Interviewing is kind of a skill, some are better than others, some need to work at it harder than others.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 3:53pm
I think we've all done this. At one point I started interviewing for jobs I didnt want just so I could get used to the process. At one time worked at the same place for over 15 years and when I wanted to leave I realized I was not prepared for interviews. I now do at least one a year.
My worst still inspires revenge fantasies in me when I'm drinking. Part of it was definitely my fault—I was entering the middle stages of what proved to be an absolutely devastating depression so my confidence level was shit. But halfway thru the interview, which was conducted by a youngish woman, one of the bosses either decided to drop in for the hell of it or was back late from lunch (definite beer on his breath), and he was swinging his dick by rebutting everything I said. I could feel myself dying on the spot. I was psychologically ill-equipped to start a new job, but I know I would have hated working for that fuckface even once I recovered.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Mimi, go over where you think you did poorly so you can correct any mistakes. Interviewing is kind of a skill, some are better than others, some need to work at it harder than others.
The problem really is nerves. I hate being the center of attention and it was a group interview. Blah. And all the preparation I did seemed all for naught. Of course I had a panic attack right in the middle of an interview and still got the job so who knows. lol

You're right. It is a skill that takes practice. Being an introvert who is not necessarily verbose makes it harder.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 4:25pm
revbob wrote:
My worst still inspires revenge fantasies in me when I'm drinking. Part of it was definitely my fault—I was entering the middle stages of what proved to be an absolutely devastating depression so my confidence level was shit. But halfway thru the interview, which was conducted by a youngish woman, one of the bosses either decided to drop in for the hell of it or was back late from lunch (definite beer on his breath), and he was swinging his dick by rebutting everything I said. I could feel myself dying on the spot. I was psychologically ill-equipped to start a new job, but I know I would have hated working for that fuckface even once I recovered.
Oh my. Consider it a bullet dodged.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 4:47pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

The problem really is nerves. I hate being the center of attention and it was a group interview. Blah. And all the preparation I did seemed all for naught. Of course I had a panic attack right in the middle of an interview and still got the job so who knows. lol

You're right. It is a skill that takes practice. Being an introvert who is not necessarily verbose makes it harder.
You got the job that's great. If you don't mind saying, what will you be doing?

I had a group interview last week. I think it went well but I know there's some stiff competition so I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 6:05pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I had a group interview last week. I think it went well but I know there's some stiff competition so I'm not getting my hopes too high.
Oh, no, I'm sorry. It seems I forgot the word 'once' in there. No, I had an interview for an IT position once and had a panic attack during but ended up getting the job anyway. I'll let you know if I get this one. Library stuff.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 8:15pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Oh, no, I'm sorry. It seems I forgot the word 'once' in there. No, I had an interview for an IT position once and had a panic attack during but ended up getting the job anyway. I'll let you know if I get this one. Library stuff.
Oh ok, well who knows. I sometimes interview people and I'll overlook things if I can tell they know their stuff.

So you're giving up the IT field?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 8:44pm
Oh ok, well who knows. I sometimes interview people and I'll overlook things if I can tell they know their stuff.
That's another thing—if the c.v. shows the person is ideal, even a bad interview might not be a dagger. It's hard to know what gets privileged in these things.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 8:54pm
revbob wrote:
That's another thing—if the c.v. shows the person is ideal, even a bad interview might not be a dagger. It's hard to know what gets privileged in these things.
This is true plus you never what it is they are looking for or what they see in you.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 8:15pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:

So you're giving up the IT field?
I only made it as far as the help desk and that was enough for me. It surprised me how stupid people are with their security, and resetting passwords all day got annoying real fast.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Reversing things, in academia, if a person is short-listed and brought in for the interview, it means they're pretty much acceptable in terms of their scholarship and qualifications. The interview, presentation, and supper is about whether people can imagine having you as a colleague for who knows how many years. Acting like a smug prick, ignoring some people, kissing up to others can be a job killer just because you come off as dishonest or a prick to enough people on the committee. Plenty of smart people fuck themselves up by tripping over their own ego.