Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 10:38am
So I'm getting ready to turn left at a light. There's another car beside me (we'll call him White Van) who could go either straight or left. If they go left, they have a very short merge lane. This stupid state with their stupid merge lanes. Anyway, I'm not in any hurry, but I do pull out fast as the light turns. The dufus next to me, decides to go faster and pass me. I'm laughing because wtfwhocares? you win. But...there's a local bus shuttle tottering along the road ahead. White Van practically screeches to a halt and for the next two miles has to drive at 40 in a 50 zone. Meanwhile, I'm giggling like a fool. Because what is it with people and driving?!
I hate people like that. Glad karma got him.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 10:48am
Mimi wrote:
So I'm getting ready to turn left at a light. There's another car beside me (we'll call him White Van) who could go either straight or left. If they go left, they have a very short merge lane. This stupid state with their stupid merge lanes. Anyway, I'm not in any hurry, but I do pull out fast as the light turns. The dufus next to me, decides to go faster and pass me. I'm laughing because wtfwhocares? you win. But...there's a local bus shuttle tottering along the road ahead. White Van practically screeches to a halt and for the next two miles has to drive at 40 in a 50 zone. Meanwhile, I'm giggling like a fool. Because what is it with people and driving?!
I derive a stupid amount of satisfaction when Capt Impatient has used all their wiles and skills to get one spot ahead and then gets stymied by a pokey driver, especially when it involves a bunch of lane changes and then I pass them by because I stayed in my lane.
*nods smugly*

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 10:51am
Mimi wrote:
I hate people like that. Glad karma got him.
And he had to look at me in the rearview mirror laughing at him. mwahahahahahaha

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

There's pretty good evidence that people's driving etiquette deteriorated over the pandemic and hadn't bounced back at all (if anything, it keeps getting worse) now that we're back to full volume on the roads. Basically, people got used to emptier streets and being able to drive faster and more aggressively and didn't slow or calm down once volume returned. Driving around Denver feels like a death trap now. The other day I was in the toll/carpool lane with the missus and the kiddo which is the leftmost lane on our highway. It's, you know, the toll lane so I'm going a pretty fair clip of speed already but then this giant fucking black truck (it's always the dirt-free pickup trucks driven by suburban wannabes that are the worst behavioral offenders) with black tinted windows and our stupid state specialty black license plates (which seem to be favored by the biggest assholes on the road) comes roaring up behind us and passes us on the left in the breakdown lane going at least 150mph. It was close enough that it created wind resistance that shook my car. And zooms in and cuts me off for no reason other than to try to kill me, I guess. No fucking cops around to regulate that kind of behavior, naturally.

That's the worst of it I've gotten recently, but I've been nearly run off the road by people live streaming on their phone while driving, i constantly have people riding my bumper even when I'm already going 10-15mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic is almost constant, etc. Just absolute madness out there.

I did read Denver's road rage and aggressiveness is some of the worst in the country now so it's probably not this bad everywhere. When I was driving around California last year I was pleasantly surprised with how mellow and docile the drivers were.

Addendum: Sorry for the hijack to vent. I much prefer the karmic retribution of your story, Mimi!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
Love it when people zig zag and weave lane to lane only to be the car in front of me at the next red light. I just sit there with an ear to ear grin on my face, hoping they're looking in the rear view mirror at me gloating.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:10am
There's pretty good evidence that people's driving etiquette deteriorated over the pandemic and hadn't bounced back at all (if anything, it keeps getting worse) now that we're back to full volume on the roads. Basically, people got used to emptier streets and being able to drive faster and more aggressively and didn't slow or calm down once volume returned. Driving around Denver feels like a death trap now. The other day I was in the toll/carpool lane with the missus and the kiddo which is the leftmost lane on our highway. It's, you know, the toll lane so I'm going a pretty fair clip of speed already but then this giant fucking black truck (it's always the dirt-free pickup trucks driven by suburban wannabes that are the worst behavioral offenders) with black tinted windows and our stupid state specialty black license plates (which seem to be favored by the biggest assholes on the road) comes roaring up behind us and passes us on the left in the breakdown lane going at least 150mph. It was close enough that it created wind resistance that shook my car. And zooms in and cuts me off for no reason other than to try to kill me, I guess. No fucking cops around to regulate that kind of behavior, naturally.

That's the worst of it I've gotten recently, but I've been nearly run off the road by people live streaming on their phone while driving, i constantly have people riding my bumper even when I'm already going 10-15mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic is almost constant, etc. Just absolute madness out there.

I did read Denver's road rage and aggressiveness is some of the worst in the country now so it's probably not this bad everywhere. When I was driving around California last year I was pleasantly surprised with how mellow and docile the drivers were.

Addendum: Sorry for the hijack to vent. I much prefer the karmic retribution of your story, Mimi!
Holy shit. That's frightening, especially with the Little Duder in the car.

Tbh, this whole post of yours is giving me anxiety. I live close to DC so I get it. I think the Beltway School of Driving rubs off on a lot of folks here, even if it is rural af!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:38am
Mimi wrote:
Love it when people zig zag and weave lane to lane only to be the car in front of me at the next red light. I just sit there with an ear to ear grin on my face, hoping they're looking in the rear view mirror at me gloating.
Like this? :approve:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
No fucking cops around to regulate that kind of behavior, naturally.
Most cops are so petulant about the whole defund thing that they just don't do anything anymore and then complain about how there's not enough funding.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 1:26pm
Flex wrote:
No fucking cops around to regulate that kind of behavior, naturally.
Most cops are so petulant about the whole defund thing that they just don't do anything anymore and then complain about how there's not enough funding.
Yeah this. And around here rich neighborhoods have been hiring cops to patrol their neighborhoods.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 2:42pm
And around here rich neighborhoods have been hiring cops to patrol their neighborhoods.
We live adjacent to the old money neighbourhood (Rockcliffe). When I walk thru there, I will encounter an RCMP car every ten minutes, guaranteed. So, yeah, cool, federal cops patrol the neighbourhood. There's also a city cop substation just on the border of the neighbourhood.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 3:04pm
revbob wrote:
And around here rich neighborhoods have been hiring cops to patrol their neighborhoods.
We live adjacent to the old money neighbourhood (Rockcliffe). When I walk thru there, I will encounter an RCMP car every ten minutes, guaranteed. So, yeah, cool, federal cops patrol the neighbourhood. There's also a city cop substation just on the border of the neighbourhood.
Yeah cops here have turned down OT so they can do their side gig.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wait, they have cars?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wait, they have cars?
Canada has had cars since 1972, I'll have you know!

(Coincidentally, tho, there is an RCMP stable maybe 3 km from my home. Occasionally you'll them out for rides along the river trail.)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 1:08pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wait, they have cars?

(Coincidentally, tho, there is an RCMP stable maybe 3 km from my home. Occasionally you'll them out for rides along the river trail.)
Do they wear the Dudley Do-Right uniforms? PLEASE TELL ME THEY DO.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 1:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 1:08pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wait, they have cars?

Do they wear the Dudley Do-Right uniforms? PLEASE TELL ME THEY DO.
Just for ceremonial stuff. Otherwise they dress like every other thug cop.