The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 10:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 8:10pm
revbob wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:47pm
revbob wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:54pm
Come to UVM instead Ill even take your class
Too much sub-standard maple syrup in the drinking fountains. :yuck:
Nah, they stopped using the cheap Canadian stuff.
#MAGA
Do either of you have any smack? I’m a little sick.
Bob's been dealing to the Phish phans. Talk to him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:57pm
Kory wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:42pm
I can relate to this except that I'm even more reluctant to move. Where is the homeland, and what happens to your work?
Saskatoon. One of the Boss' conditions is a spousal hire, which is pretty standard in academic hirings now. I'm both problematic and easier. Problematic in that, unlike other people in the academic game, I don't have any publications (I've never had any desire to be published just to be published and I've never found my work thus far merited a wider audience, so I've never pursued it). So that would eliminate me from the usual faculty position. But because I'm happy with a limited teaching appointment (with much less attached salary) as opposed to a faculty position, that allows for a bit more creativity. However, I know full well that the stuff that I do may be popular with students, but it doesn't carry much weight with history departments these days (popular culture is sooooo 1990s). So if the history department doesn't have any use for me, well, I get that and won't feel even remotely slighted. I've told the Boss from the start that her demands that more stable work be found for me shouldn't be non-negotiable if she really wants to return. I appreciate her concern, but I'm used to being underemployed/able.
Congrats to B and good luck to both of you!

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but clutch any humanities gig tightly. I haven't even had a sniff at colleges, let alone universities, in spite of glowing references from two senior program coordinators, a dean and associate dean, as well as three years teaching. The situation would be slightly brighter if my backup career in journalism hadn't been made extinct by algorithms.

I'm currently putting together stuff for peer-reviewed things and deciding whether I want to pitch my thesis as the book, or parcel it off for journals and work on a new project as part of a postdoc. ☠️☠️☠️

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I can relate to this except that I'm even more reluctant to move. Where is the homeland, and what happens to your work?
Saskatoon. One of the Boss' conditions is a spousal hire, which is pretty standard in academic hirings now. I'm both problematic and easier. Problematic in that, unlike other people in the academic game, I don't have any publications (I've never had any desire to be published just to be published and I've never found my work thus far merited a wider audience, so I've never pursued it). So that would eliminate me from the usual faculty position. But because I'm happy with a limited teaching appointment (with much less attached salary) as opposed to a faculty position, that allows for a bit more creativity. However, I know full well that the stuff that I do may be popular with students, but it doesn't carry much weight with history departments these days (popular culture is sooooo 1990s). So if the history department doesn't have any use for me, well, I get that and won't feel even remotely slighted. I've told the Boss from the start that her demands that more stable work be found for me shouldn't be non-negotiable if she really wants to return. I appreciate her concern, but I'm used to being underemployed/able.
Having move twice in the last two years I do not envy you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Having move twice in the last two years I do not envy you.
We've talked about putting me in a medically induced coma and then flown west. As much for the Boss' sanity as mine. (If we move.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:20pm

We've talked about putting me in a medically induced coma and then flown west. As much for the Boss' sanity as mine. (If we move.)
Are you afraid of flying or is it a medical thing? I haven't been on an airplane since February which is the longest gap in 10 years.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Are you afraid of flying or is it a medical thing? I haven't been on an airplane since February which is the longest gap in 10 years.
No fear of flying, tho I despise airports. My near-pathological attachment to routines make me ill-suited to moves (I'm not much fun for vacations, either).

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:41pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No fear of flying, tho I despise airports. My near-pathological attachment to routines make me ill-suited to moves (I'm not much fun for vacations, either).
You poor bastard, can't you just take some Xanax like everyone else?

What's your favorite dive bar is Saskatoon? I like the look of the Twisted Monkey.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:48pm
You poor bastard, can't you just take some Xanax like everyone else?
I have had a bad relationship with pharmaceuticals. I always seem to latch onto the bad side effects, so I'm gun shy at this point.
What's your favorite dive bar is Saskatoon? I like the look of the Twisted Monkey.
Funny, when we were there a few weeks ago, the whole damned city seemed alien to me. Whole neighbourhoods were like I'd never been there before. I always liked the name of one asshole bar, Overdrive, because of its tag: "The People's Bar." I wanted to believe it was filled with people who looked like Lenin and Trotsky.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We have those guys that rescued the kids from the cave in Thailand on standby!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That seems extreme. I'll stick with the medically induced coma.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 4:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That seems extreme. I'll stick with the medically induced coma.
To sidetrack a minute, I saw the kids being interviewed on TV last night and I thought it was great when one of them said he thought when they got out he would just get on his bike and ride home 😂

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My wife looks great in a wedding dress. Got ourselves married yesterday:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 6:00pm
My wife looks great in a wedding dress. Got ourselves married yesterday:

Congratulations!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hot diggity damn! Heartiest of congratulations to Flex and Flexette. The most rewarding part of your life is now underway. :cool:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

HUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc