Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/n ... -it-happen

Depending on how the wine hits me tonight, I might watch the Holiday Special.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 11:12am

If you do it...I'll do it.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 8:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm watching right now. As much as anything, I'm trying to figure out who the audience is for this. Star Wars is teens and kids, so … Art Carney, Harvey Korman, Bea Arthur, and and Diahann Carroll? When Jefferson Starship is the hippest aspect, the warning lights should have been blaring before the cameras rolled.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 8:43pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm watching right now. As much as anything, I'm trying to figure out who the audience is for this. Star Wars is teens and kids, so … Art Carney, Harvey Korman, Bea Arthur, and and Diahann Carroll? When Jefferson Starship is the hippest aspect, the warning lights should have been blaring before the cameras rolled.
I just started it. About 9 minutes in. I love Itchy!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I know I watched this when it aired, yet whenever I've revisited it, no terrible memories are triggered. It's just the bafflement of an adult.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 9:05pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I know I watched this when it aired, yet whenever I've revisited it, no terrible memories are triggered. It's just the bafflement of an adult.
I saw it when it aired too. I was 6 years old and at the time I thought it was fantastic, lol. In fact, I saw it before I saw A New Hope. ANH came out in 1977, Holiday Special in 1978, Christmas of 1978 my parents gave me a bunch of Star Wars figures, and then I saw ANH in 1979 at the drive-in when it was re-released. But yeah, as an adult...stir, whip, stir, whip...whip whip, stir, beat!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I saw it when it aired too. I was 6 years old and at the time I thought it was fantastic, lol. In fact, I saw it before I saw A New Hope. ANH came out in 1977, Holiday Special in 1978, Christmas of 1978 my parents gave me a bunch of Star Wars figures, and then I saw ANH in 1979 at the drive-in when it was re-released. But yeah, as an adult...stir, whip, stir, whip...whip whip, stir, beat!
30 minutes in. Oh! I love the part where Itchy gets off on the virtual Diahann Carroll video!*

*edit: Shit, that part took up over 5 minutes, lol.
Last edited by Kimmelweck on 17 Nov 2023, 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 9:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

30 minutes in. Oh! I love the part where Itchy gets off on the virtual Diahann Carroll video!
Again, who the fuck was the intended audience for this? The kids will certainly be up for this quasi-virtual sex video!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 9:24pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 9:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

30 minutes in. Oh! I love the part where Itchy gets off on the virtual Diahann Carroll video!
Again, who the fuck was the intended audience for this? The kids will certainly be up for this quasi-virtual sex video!
6 year old Kimmelweck was the intended audience, that's who.

"Uh, Wookie food isn't the greatest, but I'm sure that I can whip something up in the kitchen there that we can all eat! Uh, you don't mind do you Mala? MALA WOULD YOU COME IN THE KITCHEN AND HELP ME!"

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Jefferson Starship's finest moment, IMHO.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Ok, the animated sequence is the weirdest/coolest part of the whole thing. Now I have an odd desire to collect Star Wars Marvel comic books again.*

*First glimpse of Boba Fett! That's gotta be worth something, eh?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

After 5 cans of Natty Ice, I gotta say, Bea Arthur is well-cast as Ackmena in the Cantina scene.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You are/were insanely kinder to that … production … than I could ever be. I can't even enjoy it on an ironic level.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 7:18am
You are/were insanely kinder to that … production … than I could ever be. I can't even enjoy it on an ironic level.
It's just such a bizarre trainwreck. Maybe we should do an annual group viewing. "Itchy Week", anyone? :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 7:18am
It's just such a bizarre trainwreck. Maybe we should do an annual group viewing. "Itchy Week", anyone? :shifty:
Annual? Decennial seems generous!