movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:15pm
Has anyone seen Raw yet. I hear they hand out barf bags on the way in.
I'll see what I can find out

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:25pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I'll see what I can find out

L.A. Theater Hands Out Barf Bags at Screenings for Cannibal Movie ‘Raw’
http://www.slashfilm.com/raw-barf-bags/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

LA, huh? I know that place.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Antibirth (2016) Natasha Lyonne and Chloe Sevigny are a couple of late 30s party girls (my kinda chicks, by the way). Natasha wakes up with pregnant symptoms, even though she swears it's been quite a while since she had sex. She may have been dosed, though. She continues her daily routine of getting loaded every day until Meg Tilly finds and fills her on some possible conspiracy theories. Lots of abstract images, weird nostalgic shows playing on the TV, and a lot of dream-like sequences, then some really good body horror at the end. This was my kind of movie, I loved it. First feature from Danny Perez.

They're Watching (2016) A TV crew travels to a small Eastern European village to film a home improvement reality show, and they piss off the locals when they disrespectfully crash a religious ceremony. Now the locals follow them to their remote area and it would appear that they intend to do them harm. For most of the movie I wasn't sure if I could get behind the characters, but in the third act shit went haywire and I loved it. It's listed as a comedy, I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's kinda "light" for the most part. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

Onibaba (1964) A woman and her daughter-in-law capture and kill lost samurai and sell their belongings to a trader in war torn 14th Century Japan. When the friend of the son/husband returns and reports him dead, he starts a romance with the younger woman. The older woman, not wishing to lose her partner-in-crime, begins to spin tales of Hell and Demons (Onibaba) to the younger one, to convince her that sin, i.e. sex out of wedlock, will send her down that path. Things change though when she meets a real demon…does she? This is an absolute classic. Black & White with subtitles, and a lot of nudity (the women sleep topless). RECOMMENDED

The Borrower (1991) Five years after Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, director John McNaughton’s 2nd feature is a gory but lackluster sci-fi horror. A race of humanoid space roaches “devolve” one of their criminals in to human form and send him to earth as punishment. The body is unstable though, and his head keeps exploding. He pulls off heads of whoever is near, in this case mostly on L.A.’s Skid Row. First it’s Tom Towles (Henry’s “Otis”), then Huggy Bear himself, Antonio Fargas, and eventually the family dog. Rae Dawn Chong is the cop on the case, but she’s got her own problems, trying to simultaneously track down a serial rapist. Sounds good but it’s not. The best part for me was late in the film the beautiful Madchen Amick (Twin Peaks) shows up as a teen photographer for a garage metal band.

Beyond the Gates (2016) Two estranged brothers reunite to put their father’s affairs in order after his presumed passing, which includes the mon & pop video store they used to run. They find a VHS board game (those used to be a thing) and play it, and find that it is a link to their father’s disappearance. They continue to play and the direct result is the death of those around them. Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator) plays the “game master” on the video tape. I’ll say the gore scenes were A-OK, but the story was flat and the characters uninteresting.

Castle Freak (1995) Director Stuart Gordon reunites Re-Animator/From Beyond stars Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton. They play an American couple with a blind teenage daughter who inherits an Italian mansion. While staying there to liquidate the assets, the abandoned, tormented man-creature that has been locked in the dungeon for decades escapes his shackles (by biting off his own thumb) and puts the family and others in danger. How the “freak” was so strong despite being malnourished for his entire life was a head scratcher, but this movie was just plain fun. Gory, creepy, and some nudity from a hooker that dropped by. This had a feel of eurosleaze movies that I enjoy so much, very good stuff.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 1:20pm
Beyond the Gates (2016) Two estranged brothers reunite to put their father’s affairs in order after his presumed passing, which includes the mon & pop video store they used to run. They find a VHS board game (those used to be a thing) and play it, and find that it is a link to their father’s disappearance. They continue to play and the direct result is the death of those around them. Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator) plays the “game master” on the video tape. I’ll say the gore scenes were A-OK, but the story was flat and the characters uninteresting.
I really wanted to like this, but yeah — it was kinda blah. Dug the vibe, though. 😎

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I remember this used to be a thing back in the day. I was too young to experience it first hand but friends older siblings would talk about it. I kind of doubt they would be used though. I mean the theater would stink pretty badly.

And re: Teps review of Antibirth, Meg Tilly wow did I ever have a thing for her.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 8:13pm
And re: Teps review of Antibirth, Meg Tilly wow did I ever have a thing for her.
I'll take Jennifer, we can double date.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 2:27pm
revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 8:13pm
I'll take Jennifer, we can double date.
Sounds like a win win, and yeah I'd think you would certainly be a Jennifer type. She's hot too but I don't think I could handle her.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I dont have Blu Ray. I also don't have a barf bag even though I went to see that French cannibal movie. I'll review later this week.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Raw (2016) Justine is a vegetarian in her first year at veterinarian school. The hazing process requires her to eat a rabbit kidney, and suddenly she has a voracious appetite for all things meat, including raw. Soon after she gets a taste of human flesh and all bets are off. Is her older sister, also a student, holding back any family secrets she should know about? In French with subtitles, and gore and nudity. I spent the entire runtime of this movie thinking I had seen this plot before. Have I?

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) Kat and Rose are two Catholic Boarding School students whose parents don't pick them up for winter break, for very different reasons. Rose intentionally misinforms her parents so she can sneak out at night, while the younger Kat believes her parents have been killed in an auto accident, as she had a premonition in a dream. Meanwhile, a young woman (Emma Roberts) with a mysterious past sits freezing at a bus station, when a married couple (The Warrior's James Remar and Dumb & Dumber's Lauren Holly) offer her a ride. How the story moves forward from there is all the fun, so I won't go any further, other than saying that this movie was fucking GREAT and I am very much looking forward to a second look. Oz (son of Anthony) Perkins' directorial debut has undeservedly sat on a shelf for two years.

The Funhouse (1981) Four teens decide it would be a kick to sneak into the travelling carnival after hours and spend the night in the funhouse. They witness a deformed brute in a Frankenstein mask murder a hooker, then are trapped inside by he and his father. Nice and simple premise making for a fun slasher. Nudity in the very first scene. Not too heavy on the gore, but there's a bit. This is what Tobe Hooper was up to after Salem's Lot but before Poltergeist.

Dead and Buried (1981) The small coastal town of Potter's Bluff has a welcoming committee...that will beat you to death if you're passing through. The local sheriff finds the murders disturbing, and even more so when the victims appear to join the community after their deaths. Finding books about voodoo and witchcraft in his wife's personal belongings don't ease his mind either. Wily Wonka's Jack Albertson is an eccentric mortician. Jack would die this same year, though he did have five more film credits, way to work til the end! Sometimes hard to make sense of, but not dull and often gory. This is a very different slasher-era flick, and worth a look.

SiREN (2016) Arguably the best segment from V/H/S was "Amateur Night" where a group of bros take some girls to a motel and one of them turns out to be some sort of vampire-creature. Here's the full-length remake. Some different bros throw a bachelor party at a strip joint, but later on make it to a private location, kinda like a backwoods "Eyes Wide Shut." The protagonist finds one of the girls is being kept there in chains, so he concocts a half assed plan to release her, but she turns out to be a winged vamp-thing with a tail, who goes on a kill spree on everyone except her rescuer. Large-eyed British actress Hannah Fierman reprises her role as "Lily." This was better than I thought it would be, not quite fantastic, but worth a watch.

Dolly Dearest (1991) An American family moves to Mexico to re-open an old doll factory. Coincidentally, an ancient Satanic crypt down the road has been recently excavated, and the leftover dolls from the old factory become possessed. The daughter has private conversations with her doll, a la Chucky, and does in the religious maid. Denise Crosby, who has evil kid experience from Pet Sematary, is the mom, and Rip Torn is the archeologist who slips in and out of a Mexican accent. Some of the creepy doll scenes looked kinda cool, but this was pretty forgettable overall.

Robot Monster (1953) One of the all-time most watchable bad movies. A family of 5 is the last people on earth after the “Ro-Man” have annihilated the human (pronounced hu-mon) race. The patriarch of the family was working on a vaccine that left his family immune. The Ro-Man is a guy in a gorilla suit and a diving helmet. He eventually succumbs to feelings he doesn’t understand when he falls for the hot teenage daughter! This was originally released in 3D, so a few things come flying at the screen, and there’s a bubble machine in constant use. Barely over an hour long.

Anyhoo, it's Blackcoat's Daughter hat gets the BIG REC here, #indo, you'll like it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 3:12pm
Raw (2016) Justine is a vegetarian in her first year at veterinarian school. The hazing process requires her to eat a rabbit kidney, and suddenly she has a voracious appetite for all things meat, including raw. Soon after she gets a taste of human flesh and all bets are off. Is her older sister, also a student, holding back any family secrets she should know about? In French with subtitles, and gore and nudity. I spent the entire runtime of this movie thinking I had seen this plot before. Have I?
Smokey and the Bandit?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 3:20pm
tepista wrote:
Smokey and the Bandit?
It did have a catchy hillbilly song that kept repeating...

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Smokey and the Bandit?
She's bound to fry.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Smokey and the Bandit?
Definitely Smokey and the Bandit.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft