movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

Thoroughbreds (2017) Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel) and Anya Taylor-Joy (The VVitch) are Amanda and Lilly, are a pair of rich white teenagers with behavioral problems. Lilly's stepdad is emotionally abusive towards her and her mother, so the girls devise a plot to kill him. The plot involves duping a dimwitted two-bit drug dealer (Anton Yelich in one of his last roles) into helping them. Very slow paced, and not that tremendous a payoff at the end either, but I still liked it. I doubt I'd watch it twice.

Stripped to Kill (1987) An undercover cop (Kay Lenz) gets a job as a stripper when a few of the employees turn up dead. The one of the My Two Dads that isn’t Paul Reiser was her partner. Three’s Company’s Normal Fell was the club owner. This movie seemed not much more than an excuse to show multiple females show off their dance routines. Tits, tits, and more tits. Then out of the blue, the twist ending was kinda cool! Not cool enough that I’d recommend it though.

Baron Blood (1972) A young American travels to Austria to see the castle of his ancestor, a ruthless murderer who killed many in his torture dungeon. The castle is now a hotel, and the dungeon remained intact for some reason. He meets a pretty young lady (Elke Sommer) and for kicks they read an incantation that brings him back to life. It works, and the mangled-faced Baron returns to kill. Joseph Cotton is top-billed as an antique dealer in a wheelchair. Nicoletta Elmi, who plays the little red-haired girl in a dozen other Italian horror flicks, plays one in this too. Pretty good stuff from Mario Bava. I saw this about 10 years ago, I liked it better the second time.

Gerald’s Game (2017) A married couple tries handcuffs to spice up their dull relationship, and the husband dies of a heart attack leaving the wife (Carla Gugino) chained to the bed with no food or water and no neighbors within screaming distance. It doesn’t take long before she starts hallucinating, and re-living traumatic childhood memories. Henry (E.T.) Thomas plays her dad in flashback scenes. The great "Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke played twice. From a novel by Steven King and directed by Mike Flanagan, who I’m not as keen on as a lot of people, but I did enjoy this one.

A Boy and His Dog (1975) Post-Apocalyptic set in 2024, after World War IV, a young man (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog scavenge for food and women. An underground society has their eye on the kid and uses a young lady to lure him down. They’ve got plans for him. With Jason Robards, produced by Alvy Moore of Green Acres fame, and based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. Some nudity. An alltime fave of mine.

Dracula - Spanish Version (1931) When Universal filmed the classic Dracula, they had a Spanish speaking cast and crew simultaneously film their version using the same sets during the middle of the night. It is available on the classic horror box sets that Universal released several years ago. It is my opinion that the Spanish version, with the exception of Bela Lugosi’s performance in the title role, is superior to the American version. The Todd Browning version comes in at 75 minutes, this version clocks in at 104. And it’s not filler, we get much more Renfield, and he steals the show. The character of Eva (Mina in the familiar version) is much better too. And I’m not just saying that because you can see her nipples through her nightgown for the last 1/3 of the film. She really her embraces her near-vampirism. This was a very good film, I would recommend it to everyone.

Little Evil (2017) In this Omen parody, Adam Scott marries a woman with a 6 year-old boy who can change the weather, make teachers jump out of windows, and all kinds of-of Satanic stuff. From the writer/director of the fantastic Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, this is nowhere as good as that, but it had a fun cast and was worth a one time watch. How did they get Sally Field?

Fresh Kill (1988) In this micro-budget flick distributed by Troma, a hooker gets a green actor/butcher-store-clerk involved in murder, cocaine deals, and $2 million heists. He spends the entire movie yelling at her for getting him into this shit, and being ga-ga in love with her because I don’t know, pussy I guess? Not a horror plot at all, but loaded with kills, and for the first half of the film it’s all slashed throats, cleavers the face, chopped off hands, etc. The second half is a barrage of gun violence. Robert (Maniac Cop) D’Zar is the villain. Lot’s of shots of Hollywood Boulevard. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.

Return of the Living Dead (1985) While explaining to a co-worker that Night of the Living Dead was a true story, a medical supply warehouse worker accidentally releases a zombie from a drum in the basement that the military had accidentally shipped there 14 years ago. One thing leads to another and the medical supply guy convinces the funeral home guy next door to cremate the remains, and the smoke gets caught in the rain, which falls on the neighboring cemetery, which causes the dead to rise and chase around the punk rockers that were hanging out there. Funny, gory, great soundtrack, and Linnea Quigley naked for an extended period. This is everything anyone could want in a cheesy 80s gore flick. Written and directed by Dan O’Bannon. Send more cops.

Jaws (1975) You’ve seen it. I’ve seen it. It never disappoints

Jaws 2 (1978) Roy Scheider returns as Chief Brody, soon to be fired because he falsely screamed shark and fired his pistol, which he leaded with cyanide-laced bullets, wildly into the ocean. There was a shark, just not that day. The shark, who got his face burned while trying to eat a boat that was on fire, has a taste for teenage sailors, who include Keith Gordon from Steven King’s Christine, and Donna Wilkes, who was in my favorite teenage-hooker movie, Angel. I think I’ll watch that next week, whattaya know, something good did come out of this! Lorriane Gary and Murray Hamilton reprise their roles as well.

Jaws 3-D (1983) In glorious 2-D. Sherif Brody’s adult son (Dennis Quaid) now works at Sea World. He and his Marine Biologist girlfriend find a great white terrorizing the area, so with the blessing of the park owner (Louis Gosset Jr.) they capture it to put on display, but it quickly dies in captivity. Little did they know that the shark’s 35 foot mom would come looking for it, and smash up the band new state-of-the-art underwater attraction. Dozens of times during the film something flies at the screen, and the visual effects are so poor you would hardly believe this movie ever got released. I saw this in the theater when I was a kid! Lea Thompson wears a bikini, I guess that’s something.

Death Wish (2018) Bruce Willis is an Emergency Room doctor who takes to vigilanteism when his wife and daughter are brutally assaulted in their home. The Charles Bronson/Michael Winner version from 1974 is one of my favorite movies from the decade, and though there are some similarities this modern version from Eli Roth kinda does its own thing. It’s not as awful as the initial reviews indicated, but its not great either. Good enough to watch once, and don’t expect any Oscars. Also with Vincent D'Onofrio, Elisabeth Shue, and the brother-in-law from Breaking Bad.

Season of the Witch (1972) An unhappily married housewife, tortured by nightmares and boredom, borrows a "how to" book on witchcraft from a neighbor and begins to dabble. It would appear as though some of her spells might be working, depending on how you look at it. I saw this about 30 years ago, I honestly didn't remember a single scene. George A. Romero would bring the "bored housewife" story back as a subplot in his masterpiece, Martin, a few years later. I liked it, but I don't think it's one that too many people would give multiple viewings. A bit light on the horror, more of a character study.

Unsane (2018) A young woman sees a counselor about being a stalking victim and ends up being committed against her will. Soon she accuses a hospital employee of being her stalker in disguise. Is it, or has she really lost her mind? I though the first half of this Steven Soderbergh thriller was pretty good, but it kinda went off the rails in the end. Lots of plot holes, but I'd say I enjoyed it overall. Also with Jay Pharoah, Juno Temple, and Amy Irving.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

revbob wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 12:19pm
I enjoyed The Score as well. Saw it quite some time ago and I want to say Brando's role was pretty minor and not very memorable other than his size.
True, he was pretty big in it, he was getting pretty chunky in Apocalypse now, a few years between those rolls though, The Score is better known than I gave it credit for, I think its been posted on here but I thought 'The Town' was great as a Heist film too.
Has anyone seen the film 'Stretch'... actor out of work, I think its genius, with some great cameos.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

A Boy and His Dog (1975) Post-Apocalyptic set in 2024, after World War IV, a young man (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog scavenge for food and women. An underground society has their eye on the kid and uses a young lady to lure him down. They’ve got plans for him. With Jason Robards, produced by Alvy Moore of Green Acres fame, and based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. Some nudity. An alltime fave of mine.

Just tell me the dog survives and I'll watch it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 9:24am

I think I remember the Dog does survive but he over acts and makes a meal of it?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:

The dog lives but the black guy dies.

Just kidding they were all white.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 12:46pm
JennyB wrote:

The dog lives but the black guy dies.

Just kidding they were all white.
Totally cool with that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 10:28am
hairydot61 wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 4:22pm
The UK might wanna check this, Mark Kermode seems to give a good account of himself when reviewing Films, didn't he used to be in a Rockabilly band?

BBC Four - Mark Kermode's Secret cinema
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbn5x8
Dodge Brothers.

I can't stand him. Him and Paul Morely both pretentious Muppets.
The Mark Kermode program as mentioned here was pretty good, even though I was at work I managed to watch it, informative in a funny way, presented in a down to earth way with a modicom of pretentiousness, but I had my pretentiousness detector at hand and felt quite safe, the program reminded me how much I enjoyed '500 days of Summer' and what a great talent Joseph Gordon Levitt is, it also reminded me I've never seen The weddings and a Funeral film, or E.T for that matter, I much prefer The Ninth Configuration.
Looking forward to seeing the program on Heists next week, I did look to see if the iplayer was available for international peeps but you've shit out, sorry about that Boppers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Just watched the trailer for the new Queen movie. Looks really good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 9:57am
Keeps Helen Mirren working, anyway.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 10:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 9:57am
Keeps Helen Mirren working, anyway.
Ha! not that Queen. Not unless she's in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Super Troopers 2 was pretty good!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched this morning. I don't care that much for the movie—it's too unfocused for my tastes and dulls the wit of the source material—but the song it's based on is one of the great anti-war compositions. Still, watching the movie, Arlo Guthrie is so damned angelic looking, possessing an odd androgynous magnetism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I finally saw Hereditary and boy howdy I did not enjoy it.

110 minutes of half-assed Babadook, 10 minutes of "WE NEED TO FINISH THIS MOVIE IN TEN MINUTES."

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 1:37pm
I finally saw Hereditary and boy howdy I did not enjoy it.

110 minutes of half-assed Babadook, 10 minutes of "WE NEED TO FINISH THIS MOVIE IN TEN MINUTES."
Hmmm. Everyone says it's great. I'll see it in a few weeks. I thought A Quiet Place was ass.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

tepista wrote:
18 Apr 2015, 10:32am

Wake in Fright (1971) I though this was an old Aussie horror flick when I rented it, it's actually a drama/thriller, but it was really good. An outback schoolteacher on Christmas break (weather is hot in Australia during Xmas!) gets drunk during a one-day stopover on his way to Sydney, loses all his money gambling, and gets stuck in a two-week drunken nightmare that turns violent in the end. A running theme in the film is that the locals insist that the stranger drink with them, and won’t take know for an answer, to the point where refusal is the ultimate insult and will not be stood for. At one point the teacher describes it as “aggressive hospitality.” One thing that was extremely unpleasant was a kangaroo hunt with real footage (it's acknowledged during the end credits that it was shown to make the viewer aware of the atrocity) but there was a lot of it and it was rough to stomach. But on the other hand, the rest of it was really good, and Donald Pleasance was top billed as the village doctor who lives in squalor and trades his services for booze, which he drinks morning, noon and night. The teacher stays with doctor and starts to get a bit comfortable in his new sudden role and a broke lush, but that will soon come to a shocking halt. Canadian director Ted Kotcheff did North Dallas Forty, First Blood, and Weekend at Bernie;s to name a few. I guess he has range. Recommended.
Ha, I knew I'd find this here somewhere! Watched this a while ago and was quite impressed. Loved how the downward spiral strarted with the primitive coin tossing game. Lots of great yet disturbing scenes, culminating in the kangaroo hunt and the "morning after" scene at the doctor's place. Ought to be a classic.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?