movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:40pm
tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:26pm
But who's the REAL monster...oh, you've heard that one before?
after every horror movie i watch i like to report to the lady my findings that "it turns out, society was the real monster after all." I think she's impressed by my keen insight.
So Thatcher was right!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 8:39pm
Flex wrote:
tepista wrote:
after every horror movie i watch i like to report to the lady my findings that "it turns out, society was the real monster after all." I think she's impressed by my keen insight.
So Thatcher was right!
So the monster doesn't exist and we are all safe once again.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 8:39pm
Flex wrote:
tepista wrote:
So Thatcher was right!
So the monster doesn't exist and we are all safe once again.
*pulls out Thompson Twins cassette and basks in real freedom*
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Film
Wisconsin Death Trip. (1999)
If the Coen brothers made a tv docudrama it would be Wisconsin Death Trip.
A film made from the narrative of short newspaper stories from the 1890's, backed up with black & white photographs of the demograph at the time, the film tells of bizarre murders and domestic situations with some tongue in cheek comedy moments, the black & white narrative is broken up with fairly recent colour footage of current population showing the character in the community, with some geeky cool footage to be had, endering.
Expect a slow evolving film with no car chases, if I could sum it up in two words they would be 'Serenely Macabre'.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

hairydot61 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 6:14am
Film
A film made from the narrative of short newspaper stories from the 1890's, backed up with black & white photographs of the demograph at the time, the film tells of bizarre murders and domestic situations with some tongue in cheek comedy moments, the black & white narrative is broken up with fairly recent colour footage of current population showing the character in the community, with some geeky cool footage to be had, endering.
Expect a slow evolving film with no car chases, if I could sum it up in two words they would be 'Serenely Macabre'.
This has been on my Netflix queue for over ten years and I never let it get to the top
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 5:16pm
hairydot61 wrote:
Film
This has been on my Netflix queue for over ten years and I never let it get to the top
It's pretty fantastic. The book it is based upon is also worth checking out. Black River Falls is in a pretty bleak portion of the state. I'd hate to live there now...can't imagine what it was like in the 19th Century. My aunt and uncle live in Eau Claire and we'd drive up to visit them on a regular basis when I was a kid and we'd always stop and stretch at the same gas station/truck stop off of 94 at Black River Falls. I remember they had a giant stature of a mouse eating a block of cheese!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

tepista wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Film
You probably would have better quality picture with netflix than the youtube link, maybe put it near the top of your to see list on a wet day!, if the film tells you anything, its that human nature has not changed much in the hundred years plus that film is based in, people still killing people for different reasons, all those early news reports are simple matter of fact reporting, none of the sensationalism of modern reporting, there is a female serial window smasher that is pretty funny too.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 5:26pm
tepista wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Film
It's pretty fantastic. The book it is based upon is also worth checking out. Black River Falls is in a pretty bleak portion of the state. I'd hate to live there now...can't imagine what it was like in the 19th Century. My aunt and uncle live in Eau Claire and we'd drive up to visit them on a regular basis when I was a kid and we'd always stop and stretch at the same gas station/truck stop off of 94 at Black River Falls. I remember they had a giant stature of a mouse eating a block of cheese!
Cool ;)

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Angel (1984) “High School Honor Student by Day, Hollywood Hooker by Night” said the tagline, do you need more than that? 15 year old Molly has been turning tricks for years to pay the rent in her shitty apartment ever since her parents have been gone. (Actress Donna Wilkes was 25, and had previously played a teen in Jaws 2) Her classmates learning her secrets is nothing compared to the danger that begins when an egg-sucking psycho killer starts slashing all the Hollywood streetwalkers! Yes, he actually sucks the yolk from a small hole in an eggshell in a very disturbing scene. A cop who cares has her back. Dick Shawn steals the show as a drag queen/mother figure who bickers with the always-great Susan Tyrell as a butch landlady with the most ridiculous painted eyebrows you’ve ever seen. Rory Calhoun (Motel Hell) is a rootin-tootin faded western star who walks the boulevard. That’s what he was in real life! Well, except the boulevard part. Lots of nudity, and very sleazy. There would be three Angel films in all, a different actress in the lead role each time.

The Suckling (1990) A teenage girl gets a back-alley abortion at a brothel, but when the fetus is flushed down the toilet and lands in toxic waste, it grows rapidy, climbs back up the pipes and the whore-house massacre begins. Gory, funny, ridiculous, and some surprisingly good nudity considering the micro-budget. Where has this movie been all my life? This immediately climbs the charts as far as entertaining bad movies go, I would certainly watch it again.

Evilspeak (1981) Clint Howard is a bullied cadet at a military academy who finds a book of Satanic spells while cleaning the basement, which was punishment for him sucking at soccer. An outcast using Satan to get revenge isn’t the most unique premise, but the gimmick here is that he translated the curses through the school computer, computers were relatively new at the time. Good nudity from a hot babe who gets mauled in a bathtub by Satanic pigs. Some boy-butts too, quite a bit of this takes place in a locker room. This was an original “Video Nasty”, though I’m not sure it deserved to be, but the gore was decent and the Carrie-esque climax was entertaining. Bob from That 70s Show was the lead bully.

Puppetmaster: The Littlest Reich (2018) The 12th entry in the series (oh shit, I forgot to watch the 11th!) can be a standalone. Thomas Lennon is a comic book writer who finds an original Blade doll in a closet and takes some friends to a nearby Toulon convention where these things are selling for thousands. Uh-oh, something happens and ALL the dolls come alive. Multiple Blades, multiple Pinheads, Tunnelers, Flame Throwers, etc. (No Jester, Boo!) Plenty of nudity and possibly the most gore than any of the previous films. Unless I’m mistaken, Charles Band/Full Moon didn’t have much to do with this except “based on characters created by”, and this is the best entry since part 3, if ya ask me. Also with Barbara Crampton, Michael Pare, and Udo Kier.

Nightmare (1981) An egghead professor releases a psychotic murderer from his care after he is deemed cured with the help of experimental drugs. How do ya think that turns out? He kills many people while on his way to his childhood home, where a cute single mom and her bratty kids live. Also known as Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, this Florida indie gained notoriety for being an original “Video Nasty” and even more so for having Tom Savini’s name in the credits, despite Tom denying, and even suing the filmmakers to have his name taken off. Tom, or no Tom, this movie is gory as fuck, has some nudity, and should do the trick for 80s slasher fans. I’ve probably seen it 5 times over the years.

Silent Madness (1984) John Howard has been cleared for release from the mental institution. Due to a computer error, Howard Johns has been released in his place. Uh-oh, Howard Johns is the psycho who killed all those sorority girls with a nail gun 20 years ago! The chick doctor needs to find him before he kills again (too late) and the rest of the hospital staff try to cover it up. She teams up with a local newspaper man, and spends a few days at the sorority house, after posing as an alumnus. Nudity, humor, lots of kills (though not particularly gory), and things flying at the screen because this was originally in 3D. Plus, being a New Jersey film, there were two actors who you will recognize from Sleepaway Camp, including M-E-G, Meg! Don’t blink or you’ll miss another minor Scream Queen, the beautiful Elizabeth Kaitan (F13 7 & SNDN2).

Valentine (2001) A humiliated pre-teen returns to kill the mean girls that wouldn’t dance with him at a Valentine's party however many years ago. Marley Shelton (Planet Terror), Denise Richards (Starship Troopers), and Katherine Heigel (Bride of Chucky) provide the eye candy, no one provides any nudity. I saw this on VHS 17 years ago and forgot everything about it, I assume I’ll forget it again very soon.

Deadtime Stories (1986) An uncle tells a nephew three twisted fairy tales: Two witches use a slave-boy to seduce a maiden and use her in a sacrifice; Little Red Riding Hood is stalked by a junkie werewolf; Goldi Lox, a serial killer herself, defends herself against escaped convicts, the Baers. All were lighthearted but the 3rd was a straight comedy, and the only one with nudity. Scott Valentine was top-billed, he was a “Hunk-of-the-Month” for a short time in the 80s when he played the rebel boyfriend on Family Ties. Skip this one.

The First Purge (2018) The government offers low-income residents of Staten Island monetary incentives to participate in this violent experiment. When the Purge turns out to be not as violent as expected, Whitey sends in some ringers. Marissa Tomei is in it. This prequel is the 4th one, and I can say I’m a really a fan of any of them. I have 8 episodes of the TV series in my DVR, any suggestions?

House of the Devil (2008) A pretty college student babysits for a family that has an ulterior motive. I didn’t like it 10 years ago, and my opinion hasn’t changed on the re-watch. Ti West hits the nail on the head when it comes to capturing a retro feel, but unfortunately the movie is as dull as wet paint for an hour and a quarter. Cute as the main girl was, her character hit zero on the personality scale, and it was painful watching her sit around doing nothing for nearly the entire film. By the time the action started I was practically numb, then to top it off, the antagonists bumbled around like the Three Stooges. Points for adding a few genre favorites in the cast, particularly the wonderful Mary Woronov. I have nothing against Ti West, his heart is in the right place.

Tales From the Crypt (1972) Fantastic anthology directed by Freddie Francis for Amicus based on EC comics. Most notably, Joan Collins fends off a psycho in a Santa costume while trying to dispose of her husband's dead body in a story that was famously remade for the TV series of the same name many years later. Other stories include Peter Cushing as a kind old man who is the recipient of cruel treatment from some mean neighbors; a fun reworking of Monkey’s Paw; and inhabitants of a home for the blind retaliate against inhumane living conditions. One segment about a zombie car crash was forgettable, but the rest were right on, this is one of the best of its kind.

Creepshow (1982) George Romero directs and Stephen King writes this classic homage to EC Comics. Tales include a murdered old man seeking revenge against his daughter, A hick’s adventure with a fallen meteor, A jilted husband with a lot of video equipment, an unbearably annoying wife and a crate containing a killer ape, and a germophobe with a bug problem. With Leslie Neilson, Ted Danson, Adrienne Barbeau, Fritz Weaver, Hal Holbrook, EG Marshall and more. My memory is being 12 years old and asking strangers to buy me and my friends tickets! A must-see.

The Vault of Horror (1973) Roy Ward Baker directs this EC Comics-inspired anthology for Amicus. Tales include a Vampire restaurant (the best one), a neat-freak who torments his wife, a trick-stealing magician, a buried alive scheme, and a voodoo painter. Not as good as the previous year’s Tales From the Crypt, but certainly worth a watch.

House of Wax (1953) The 3D smash hit that made Vincent Price a star. Vinnie’s wax museum is burned in a fire, he returns years later as a cripple, and his new attractions have faces that all resemble the recently deceased. Meanwhile, a hideous burn victim torments the pretty girls of the city. Those pretty girls are Phillis Kirk and Carolyn “Morticia” Jones. Charles Bronson in an early role as Vinnie’s deaf-mute assistant. Classic.

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) Roger Corman directs this Richard Matheson screenplay adaptation of a Poe story. The brother of Vincent Price’s recently deceased wife (Barbara Steele) comes to visit Price’s old castle to get some answers. What he finds is Price’s father ran a torture chamber dungeon, and his sister may have been unintentionally buried alive. Possible ghosts and unexplainable activities drive Vincent to the brink of insanity, and in the last 20 minutes he delivers, arguably, the performance of his life.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) Prince Prospero (Vincent Price) holds lavish balls in castle, despite the fact that the Red Death is claiming the lives of nearly all of Europe outside his walls. He rescues a peasant girl, Jane Asher (who was Paul McCartney’s girlfriend at the time), only to force her to spare the life of either her fiancée or her father, for his own amusement. In a fun side-plot, a dwarf seeks revenge on a party guest who has wronged him (Patrick Magee from A Clockwork Orange). Hazel Court burns an upside down cross into her tit. Lots of Satanic dialog, and the best art design you’ll see in a Roger Corman flick. Screenplay by Charles Beaumont. My personal favorite Corman-Poe adaptation.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I recently finished a weird little history on a bootleg production of JCS in the early 70s, so I was inspired to watch this. I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid. I was surprised by how much I liked it (not least of which because I'm not a fan of musicals). That it discards any kind of supernatural aspect about Christ makes it easier for the non-believer, making it, well, more human and relatable.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Bohemian Rhapsody. Just go!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:42am
I'm worried there would be too much Queen music :shifty:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:34pm
Mimi wrote:
How will you know how it ends if you don't see it?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas »

I love House of the Devil. Works just fine for me.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:34pm
Mimi wrote:
No such thing.