The IMCT Travel/Suggestions Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The IMCT Travel/Suggestions Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:10pm
Slightly serious question Doc - how do you manage anxiety in relation to teaching? Do you approach teaching as a performance (like, playing the role of a teacher) to give you some distance, or something else?
That's exactly it. I have zero problems standing in front of all those kids and yapping away because I just slip into the role. Nothing conscious, it just happens. Hell, I generally feel more relaxed when lecturing than just hanging out with my mind.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:16pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
Slightly serious question Doc - how do you manage anxiety in relation to teaching? Do you approach teaching as a performance (like, playing the role of a teacher) to give you some distance, or something else?
That's exactly it. I have zero problems standing in front of all those kids and yapping away because I just slip into the role. Nothing conscious, it just happens. Hell, I generally feel more relaxed when lecturing than just hanging out with my mind.
I curious and really struggling to understand, what really bugs you out? I've met you and sensed no apprehension.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 2:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
I curious and really struggling to understand, what really bugs you out? I've met you and sensed no apprehension.
Well, I won't get into things here in any detail, but some situations, locations, and people just kind of set me off and I become in my mind the insecure, marginalized loser I was growing up in a shithole town. And in a weird way, becoming more confident and "successful" in other ways has made me more apprehensive about slipping into those unwanted situations, so I default to avoiding some stuff (esp. anything related to Sask.) to better control my limited environment. But I'm mostly a functional weirdo. :twitch:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 7:28am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 2:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Well, I won't get into things here in any detail, but some situations, locations, and people just kind of set me off and I become in my mind the insecure, marginalized loser I was growing up in a shithole town. And in a weird way, becoming more confident and "successful" in other ways has made me more apprehensive about slipping into those unwanted situations, so I default to avoiding some stuff (esp. anything related to Sask.) to better control my limited environment. But I'm mostly a functional weirdo. :twitch:
You're not alone. I sometimes find it hard to be myself when I'm not by myself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 6:11pm
I sometimes find it hard to be myself when I'm not by myself.
In a completely different context—he was wearing a man girdle—Paul F. Tompkins once related being completely alone, yet also completely mortified.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 7:28am

OK, this I understand.

BostonBeaneater

I drove to 12000 feet today and burst a blood vessel in my eye.
Attachments
CF3B51B8-3BA1-4260-A5E5-91E0D15EEE9F.png

BostonBeaneater

Worth it.
166640AA-64E3-4BA3-94FE-AD22DECE3CD5.jpeg
BCBB2579-FB30-4F5B-AA7B-035E89D982FC.jpeg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Where are youuuuu?!?!?!?!?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You coming north to Colorado at all?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 11:37pm
Where are youuuuu?!?!?!?!?
Albuquerque, NM! The eye thing happened today at Valles Caldera.

Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 11:46pm
You coming north to Colorado at all?
I won’t this trip. I’m here three weeks for work. However, my new gig will involve quite a bit of travel so I’m sure I’ll roll through Denver at some point.

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:47am
I won’t this trip. I’m here three weeks for work. However, my new gig will involve quite a bit of travel so I’m sure I’ll roll through Denver at some point.
heck yeah. Come on out and we'll go to one of those concerts revbob keeps wishing he was here for.

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:49am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
heck yeah. Come on out and we'll go to one of those concerts revbob keeps wishing he was here for.
Styx?

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55am
Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Styx?
phish

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55am
Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Styx?
phish
With you start a two band tribute band with me called Phishstyx?