What are you looking up on Wikipedia right now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What are you looking up on Wikipedia right now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 7:43am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_marriage

I would have guessed that it was a truce between Irish and Italians to keep African Americans out of their neighbourhood. :shifty:
Convenience and finance and sometimes love.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 9:17am
Kentucky Meat Shower

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_meat_shower
Distinct from the Louisville gentleman's club also named the Kentucky Meat Shower.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I thought I knew Jerry Lee Lewis' story. I knew about the 13 year old cousin wife, I saw the shitty movie with Dennis Quaid on VH1 in probably 2002, but man his wikipedia entry is so much more crazy. I knew he married the 13 year old when he was 22, but I didn't know that she was his third wife. At 22 he was on his third marriage. The south is wild. A bunch of his kids died real young as did one of his six or seven wives.

He also just ends up with guns all the time. His drunk ass getting arrested at Graceland had this great tibit:
Presley's astonished cousin Harold Lloyd was manning the gate and watched Lewis attempt to hurl the champagne bottle out the car window, not realizing the window was rolled up, smashing both.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 10:58am
I thought I knew Jerry Lee Lewis' story. I knew about the 13 year old cousin wife, I saw the shitty movie with Dennis Quaid on VH1 in probably 2002, but man his wikipedia entry is so much more crazy. I knew he married the 13 year old when he was 22, but I didn't know that she was his third wife. At 22 he was on his third marriage. The south is wild. A bunch of his kids died real young as did one of his six or seven wives.

He also just ends up with guns all the time. His drunk ass getting arrested at Graceland had this great tibit:
Presley's astonished cousin Harold Lloyd was manning the gate and watched Lewis attempt to hurl the champagne bottle out the car window, not realizing the window was rolled up, smashing both.
I think I've recommended it before, but Hellfire by Nick Tosches is an incredible read about Jerry Lee Lewis. It definitely gets to the core of what a maniac the man was, and argued that's part of what fueled his need to play music.

You can pair it with this Rolling Stone article about the night Jerry almost certainly murdered his wife: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... is-179980/

Jerry is by far the worst human being whose art I still adore. Probably in part because his worst malfeasances largely happened before I was born, often decades before. It's not really ethically consistent on my part, but oh well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:06am
matedog wrote:

I think I've recommended it before, but Hellfire by Nick Tosches is an incredible read about Jerry Lee Lewis. It definitely gets to the core of what a maniac the man was, and argued that's part of what fueled his need to play music.

You can pair it with this Rolling Stone article about the night Jerry almost certainly murdered his wife: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... is-179980/

Jerry is by far the worst human being whose art I still adore. Probably in part because his worst malfeasances largely happened before I was born, often decades before. It's not really ethically consistent on my part, but oh well.
He’s probably worthy a bio read for me at this point.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:06am
matedog wrote:

I don't know how any of this preempts a Kentucky Meat Shower